• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Would you take in a refugee family for $300pw?

Would you take in a refugee family for cash?

• Yes, happy to help

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Maybe if they paid more money...

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thus is only MY opinion...but there are too many doo-gooders, I get pissed off when people say how unfortunate these 'refugees' are but what about our own pensioners, homeless and especially war veterans? Surely they deserve more before before a refugee does?

We have got an excellent welfare system in this country vets get free health care, good pension and their kids go to uni for free, the aged pension should probably go up a bit but that has nothing to do with reffugees. As for homeless there are programmes in place to provide accom the real problem is most of them are severly mentally ill or drug/alchol dependent.

The $ drain on our economy is not refugees but visa overstayers. Most illegal 'immigrants' come here on a plane from great britain or ireland but we don't lock them up in camps.

Guys, I think you're losing sight of the fact that homeless people & pensioners are a completely seperate matter?

Brick is 100% right. And on top of all he stated, the government just poured millions & millions of dollars into the mental health system in Australia to ensure that the people who need diagnoses/help/treatment are able to get it. These sorts of commitments, have intended flow on effects to the wider community, including those suffering from homelessness.

Pensioners, are a different matter entirely & the government continues to also make provisions for them. I agree that their pensions are shit. But they also get a gammut of subsidies for bills, rent, mortgage, travel, insurances, healthcare. The welfare system in Australia is so extensive & so convoluted - this is where the majority of money is leaked every year.

There are plenty of pensioners wroughting the system too lol

But that's beside the point.

The truth is, Australia, along with every other country, makes & has financial commitments to other countries & causes under international agreements & protocols. Refugee's & assylum seekers, are just one of them, but the list of assisting poorer nations is long & the money used to do so is of a phenominal amount. But its our commitment, as a country, to assist the wider global needs.

Every country of wealth has made that commitment, we're not alone.

Australia's catchment is the Pacific Region. It's a policy, care for thy neighbours I guess? PNG, The islands, Parts of Asia - we are the primary country that looks after & assists the entire region financially.

Most Aussies don't know this. Research it, its mind boggling how much we give away as a nation. Australia is an exceedingly generous country.

But its an insignificant fraction of the amount of money that is spent on Australians, within our own country every year.

And we worry about refugees? Who make up less than 1% of the countries incoming traffic?

No. Perspective people.

Where are the true drains on our economy?

It aint with the refugees, thats for sure.

LOL, do you think refugees CHOOSE where they end up?

I've spoken to many refugees, and a number that tried to illegally enter a country....

They pay a man, and they just jump on a boat getting smuggled around.

Most just want to leave the atrocities that happen on a day to day basis at home, they couldn't care where they end up as the people I've talked to think they live in hell.....

Hell yeah they choose, they pass through many countries which are "safe" before they pay someone to get to Australia, therefore they are choosing to end up here, Indo is safer than where most of these people are coming from yet their welfare system is basically noexistant so they don't want to stay there nd most likely their immigration laws are sticker than ours so if they get caught they get locked up or shipped out (I don't actually know).

Point is many countries between where they start their journey and AUS are safer than where they started yet they want to live in AUS coz of the welfare system and what they get given.

Brick half those wogs, well there offspiring are ****** try hards in shitty gangs, and probbaly grow up to be mostly useless lol.

I'm not gonna post in this thread any more it is clearly an issue where you sit on one side of the fence or the other. People are entitled to their opinions cause luckily we live in a democracy. I just gotta respond to this gem of wisdom above from Adrain please take a look at the list below -

Harry Triguboff- founded Meriton biggest private land holder in OZ.
Grollo Brothers - owners of third biggest construction company in Australia
Tony Santic - billionaire fisherman owner of Makybe Diva.
Henry Pollack - real estate billionaire founded Mirvac Co.

What do they all have in common?
All wogs, all refugess, all came here without a cent, none could speak english when they arrived.

What do they all have in common?
All wogs, all refugess, all came here without a cent, none could speak english when they arrived.

Were they really REGUGEES? OR IMMIGRANTS, i think people are getting these consfused and interchanging the definitions.....

I
Harry Triguboff- founded Meriton biggest private land holder in OZ.
Grollo Brothers - owners of third biggest construction company in Australia
Tony Santic - billionaire fisherman owner of Makybe Diva.
Henry Pollack - real estate billionaire founded Mirvac Co.

I doubt these people were refugees mate, immigrants who went through the right channels yes.

These so called refugees that come here have passed through countless safe countries to make their way to Australia illegally, many are quite well off hence they can afford to get on a commercial flight close to Australia somewhere, then they burn their papers/passports and documentation, birth certificates, names, criminal history before getting on a boat to Australia attempting to start new with no known history, hell yeah they choose where they wanted to go.

Now the Government wants these people with unknown criminal History to live in our homes?? The same people who set Villawood detention centre on fire and caused riots?? The same people that came here possibly illegally?? The same people our taxes fed, clothed, housed, provided pay TV for, provided gym's for, provided pool tables for, and those very same 'poor unfortunate' refugees proceeded to show their appreciation for their safety by setting the place alight and throwing rocks at police.:cool:

If I came from a place that was so bad, and came here as a guest (refugee supposedly in fear of my life) I would be on my best behaviour, and thankful to be safe, warm and fed, provided with a gym and pay TV. I feel this behaviour is a good indication of how these people will act and behave when/if they are finally released into society.

Bella I have been inside the Villawood detention centre, and actually worked next door to it for close to 10 years, it is (was before being set alight) very nice inside, comfortable heated air conditioned rooms (I lived without AC for the first 10 years of my married life while paying off a townhouse I was living in), a gym that rivals most commercial gyms, pool tables, table tennis tables, basketball rings etc etc, (I only got to set up a modest home gym with second hand equipment in my 40's, never had pay TV in my life and was 35 years old before I lived in a house with air conditioning, I worked since I was 15 often two jobs to get to where I am today).

We are now spending millions of our tax money rebuilding the place they (the supposed refugees in fear of their lives) destroyed,
if it was up to me I would leave the place burnt and let them work it out, but that would be inhumane, please they can not even behave like decent human beings while they are being processed for a visa, god help us all once they get let lose.

So if I was truly a refugee, and was safe and provided free of charge with what most Australians have to bust their balls to get I would not set it on fire because I been in there for too long waiting for my identity to be established and my visa application to be processed. I would thank god that I was where I was living a safe and comfortable life.

How about we look after the people we have here already 100% before we start looking at other people, how about the Government offers us $300 per week to take care of a homeless person sleeping on the street, a child with no family to speak of, an old lonely person with no family, a disabled war veteran that fought for out country and life style who is now stuck in a nursing home with minimal care?? How about a realty check???

Rant Over:):)

PS on another but similar topic I was recently approached by two attractive women in my local shopping centre trying to sign me up a direct debit plan for overseas children, I listened the the spiel she gave me than asked her what about the Australian children living on the street?? Shouldn't we be helping them first?? They were dumb founded and where stumped for an answer, so I shook my head I walked away and left them standing there. And I believe this a big problem, we need to look at our back yards, I need to pay my bills and feed my children before I worry about the ones down the road.

Last edited:
I doubt these people were refugees mate, immigrants who went through the right channels yes.
Were they really REGUGEES? OR IMMIGRANTS, i think people are getting these consfused and interchanging the definitions.....

Refugees all of them. Might not have come here on a boat but all were refugees not immigrants. With the exception of the Grollo brothers they were immigrants I mucked up. I was actually thinking of developer Solheil Aberdeen founder of sunland who was a refugee from Iran.

Last edited:

These so called refugees that come here have passed through countless safe countries to make their way to Australia illegally, many are quite well off hence they can afford to get on a commercial flight close to Australia somewhere, then they burn their papers/passports and documentation, birth certificates, names, criminal history before getting on a boat to Australia attempting to start new with no known history, hell yeah they choose where they wanted to go.

Now the Government wants these people with unknown criminal History to live in our homes?? The same people who set Villawood detention centre on fire and caused riots?? The same people that came here possibly illegally?? The same people our taxes fed, clothed, housed, provided pay TV for, provided gym's for, provided pool tables for, and those very same 'poor unfortunate' refugees proceeded to show their appreciation for their safety by setting the place alight and throwing rocks at police.:cool:

If I came from a place that was so bad, and came here as a guest (refugee supposedly in fear of my life) I would be on my best behaviour, and thankful to be safe, warm and fed, provided with a gym and pay TV. I feel this behaviour is a good indication of how these people will act and behave when/if they are finally released into society.

Bella I have been inside the Villawood detention centre, and actually worked next door to it for close to 10 years, it is (was before being set alight) very nice inside, comfortable heated air conditioned rooms (I lived without AC for the first 10 years of my married life while paying off a townhouse I was living in), a gym that rivals most commercial gyms, pool tables, table tennis tables, basketball rings etc etc, (I only got to set up a modest home gym with second hand equipment in my 40's, never had pay TV in my life and was 35 years old before I lived in a house with air conditioning, I worked since I was 15 often two jobs to get to where I am today).

We are now spending millions of our tax money rebuilding the place they (the supposed refugees in fear of their lives) destroyed,
if it was up to me I would leave the place burnt and let them work it out, but that would be inhumane, please they can not even behave like decent human beings while they are being processed for a visa, god help us all once they get let lose.

So if I was truly a refugee, and was safe and provided free of charge with what most Australians have to bust their balls to get I would not set it on fire because I been in there for too long waiting for my identity to be established and my visa application to be processed. I would thank god that I was where I was living a safe and comfortable life.

How about we look after the people we have here already 100% before we start looking at other people, how about the Government offers us $300 per week to take care of a homeless person sleeping on the street, a child with no family to speak of, an old lonely person with no family, a disabled war veteran that fought for out country and life style who is now stuck in a nursing home with minimal care?? How about a realty check???

Rant Over:):)

PS on another but similar topic I was recently approached by two attractive women in my local shopping centre trying to sign me up a direct debit plan for overseas children, I listened the the spiel she gave me than asked her what about the Australian children living on the street?? Shouldn't we be helping them first?? They were dumb founded and where stumped for an answer, so I shook my head I walked away and left them standing there. And I believe this a big problem, we need to look at our back yards, I need to pay my bills and feed my children before I worry about the ones down the road.

Damn fine response Big M, this iterates my opinion better than I can.
Certainly not a rant......Just stating the facts.

Whats that old saying...
Oh yeh,
'The truth hurts sometimes'

Interesting where did you get this info?? I just did a google search and nothing really came up:confused:

Santic is croatian & I know him personally, I have read Pollocks biography, there is plenty written about Triguboff a russian jew born in china and refugee who fled communism, Abedian is a very vocal supporter of alot of charities that help refugees.

Last edited:
Big M for PM!!!

I agree fully. Doesn't mean we are right or wrong....

I only expressed my opinion I didn't expect to be called a-stupid, b-ignorant, c-racist etc...I fuckin hate people who think they're right about everything

Santic is croatian & I know him personally, I have read Pollocks biography, there is plenty written about Triguboff a russian jew born in china and refugee who fled communism, Abedian is a very vocal supporter of alot of charities that help refugees.

Cool, good to see they have done well then.:)

Big M for PM!!!

I only expressed my opinion I didn't expect to be called a-stupid, b-ignorant, c-racist etc...I fuckin hate people who think they're right about everything

Cool will take the job, could't possibly do any worse that the current one, and I will make sure there is a PTC gym within walking distance from every home.

And yes you are correct every one else will/may have a different opinions based on different experiences, I have been inside the Villawood detention Centre on several occasions, worked next door for close to 10 years, and watched the riots unfold right in front of me, so I have that experience that I base a lot of my opinions on I guess.

Not saying EVERY refugee is bad and not genuine, but I am saying that SOME refugees are very bad and definitely not genuine and this is why we need systems in place to weed these people out and I could not imagine it would be a simple task to establish identity of people who are deliberately trying to hide their identity from our government, this would take time, possibly lots of time.

Anyway better go and do some work now :)

PS Brick and Sticky hope you will walk the walk, it will be good to hear back from you guys to see how your refugees will fare once they have stayed with you for a while.

Last edited:
Big M for PM!!!

Your right mate I am sorry if the tone of my posts was offensive to you. Your right there is no right or wrong as free citizens we are entitled to our opinions.

You're all good Brick :) it is a sensitive issue, and this thread just proves we are passionate, intelligent people with worthy opinions, on both sides

It was a great post Mick, and you're right of course.

But how many people actually get off their arses and help the homeless? Or the street kids? Or go cuddle an orphan? Or work with the old, lonely and elderley?

Not many, I can assure you.

And yet these groups are used in arguments to support the desire to not help refugees?

Hmmm interdasting.

There's alot wrong with the way we do things in Australia. Funding is off for many groups, there's a long illustrious list of improvements that need to be made. That being said however, there's alot we're also doing right and have made good progress with?

So yes, balance is definitely required. But like I said, some of the smartest brains in this nation can't figure it out? Is it a global humanitarian issue? Is it a red tape issue? Is it a criminal issue? I think you'll find it's a mixture of all of the above.

Those refugee's set fire to Villawood because they felt no one was listening to them.

Villawood has been a migrant detention centre since the 60's Mick. The refurbishment of it (i.e. the inclusions of sporting facilities and extensions to the sleeping facilities was only done in 2009-2010) This is a recent development.

Villawood Immigration Detention Centre Redevelopment
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) and the Department of Finance and Deregulation (Finance) are jointly undertaking a major redevelopment of the Villawood IDC. The provision of $186.7 million to extensively redevelop Villawood was announced by the government as part of the 2009-10 Budget. The redevelopment will include the replacement of the higher security accommodation with a new 90 room 'family' facility and new communal central facilities (kitchen, dining, medical, mental health, education, recreation and sporting facilities). The lower and medium risk accommodation blocks will be substantially replaced.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works (PWC) approved the redevelopment in November 2009, following a public hearing, submissions and stakeholder consultation.
Information on the project's progress is available on a dedicated website.

Prior to that, the very fact that it's called a 'detension' centre is ridiculous. But it has to be, because not only does it accomodate those 'boat people' who are fleeing from their countries, it accomodates people who overstay their visa entitlements, people who fly into the country without the correct visa's and repeat border security offenders and international criminals, who somehow make their way here. So Mum and Dad and kids who fled torture from Afganistan, are seperated, Dad is housed with criminals, Mum is sent to the women's facility with the children, in one room?

The men, who set fire to Villawood, had been seperated from their wives and children in a maximum security wing of the detention centre, because they were from Afganistan and appropriate checks need to be conducted to ensure they're not terrorits?? (There is a limited building for 'families'/mens quarters and women's quarters are seperate - the children are kept with the women) kurfews are imposed and I believe it's 10pm lockdown, just like our prisons.

The men responsible for that fire and there were 3 main offenders, were all from Afganistan and 2 had been held and tortured by different factions in their countries of origin. These men were already broken people, fleeing from their country - and then to be put in a detention centre, in a maximum security wing, where they're seperated from their wives and children and treated like prisoners?

No. It's not right. I'm sorry, but it's not.

Did they have a right to burn the facilities? No, of course they didn't.

But you can't hold people in a prison like facility for years on end and expect them not to go insane, when they have done nothing, but flee to another country, to save themselves and their children?

Our prisoners, murderers, rapists, paedophiles, thieves, serial killers - get 3 square meals a day, television, gym, basketball courts, visits from family, phone calls, free medical treatment, access to social workers, psychologists and education programs IN JAIL. Not to mention, PAID for doing chores around the prison and the entitlement to have porn and cigarettes with the money they earn!

NOT OK!

Refugee's are treated WORSE than murderers in our country. They don't have access to mental health treatment - and believe me, after months stuffed into the bottom of a boat and in consideration of those who truly are fleeing a bad situation, they need it!

The assessment and processing needs to be swifter. The facilities need to be better. And we need to move out of this 'prisoner' mindset. 70% of people who come into Australia through the incorrect avenues are legitimate refugee's. So we have 30% who are wroughters of the system, and eventually they get deported.

So because of the 30%, we penalise the 70%? And thats ok?

And these people all wait upwards of 3 years to get processed?

Arrrgggghhhh it sends me mental. Because it's not right.

And it's not fair. And it's not just. And it's not ok. I know this, because I personally have worked with children in Villawood detention centre, I am also responsible for having passages of legislation re-written to accomodate international children with no parents and to find a way to get them assessed quicker. The facility is not a place where children should be for years on end.

I agree with you completely that we need to look after our own country and those who are suffering here. And the government and our tax dollars already do a hell of alot for these people. The homeless, pensioners, the alone and elderly.

It's why we get stiffed and taxed and re-taxed at every turn. The welfare system in Australia is robbing us of more and more dollars from our own pockets, to feed our own families, every year!

So we support our own. And those who do more, do more. And that's a great thing and should be supported and commended and continue.

What the answer is to the refugee argument, I don't know. I feel for too long, we've had extremes and not enough middle ground. We can have rules balanced with humantiy. But we need better systems, better processing timeframes, better idea's to be able to cope with and accomodate these people.

As for criminal histories, you wouldn't know what history your neighbour has, or your employer, or your local fruit and veg guy. You wouldn't know what history the man taking your kids Pixie photo's has or the guy who controls the rides at the Ekka and has a joke with your kids on the way through.

No, you won't know. And maybe never will.

I don't think this is a BILL, it's a proposal by the government as a way to assimilate people into society, because the government at least acknowledges that the way we have been doing it, is not ok. And also acknowledges that the processing timeframe to assess these people, is also not ok.

I don't have the answers I'm afraid.

Everyone of course, is entitled to their opinion :) But I think we need to be careful to steer clear of generalisations? Not every boat person, is a criminal. Not every refugee is someone trying to wrought the system. In fact, very few of them actually are.

Would I take refugee's into my home? It depends. I would take children, without parents, for sure - no question. I would take widowed women with children, absolutely. I feel I could help them, show them our beautiful country and give them somewhere safe to stay while they wait for their assessment to be finalised.

Do I help my own community? Yes. I'm a 'cuddle Mum' at the hospital for premature babies,when their parents live far away (i.e. the little baby I last looked after, needed expert care in Brisbane, her parents have 4 other children and they live in Rockhampton, they were only able to visit her once a month) So I go cuddle babies - and that does more for my heart, than it can possibly ever do, to help them.

Sophie and I volunteer at the local soup kitchen once a month, more in the winter months - and we help feed the homeless.

Sophie and I volunteer at the local RSPCA, I get the good fortune of cleaning animal shit out of pen's and cages, while Sophie gets to play with the abused animals on the lawn.

And my great Aunt is 96yo and lives in a nursing home. My cousins and I make a trip out there every three weeks, Sophie dances for the old people and puts on a show with her cousins, I bake, my cousins and I all do something, for all of them. 49 old people in there, very few of them ever get visitors.

So yes, I do my part.

I'd love to adopt children. I'd open my home to as many of them as I could and love them with all my heart.

But I'm a single parent and I'm not allowed to adopt children on my own.

Red tape is painful!

And then there's my job, which is locking away paedophiles and protecting children and youth in Queensland. It's heartbreaking and painful and so very stressful to not to be able to do more!

So I do as much as I can do, with what I have.

But I still believe we can all do better. I still believe our government can do better and more.

And I travelled this incredible planet for 12 years of my life. I consider myself a child of the world and consider every human being in it, the same way. Most of us, who were born here, are the lucky few, to have what we have and live the way we live and have the opportunities that have become an entitelment of our democracy?

We don't know and many people will never know, how very lucky we really are.

I have no issue with sharing our piece of the earth or my home with others...but it's the process that is broken, not the intent.

Epic post, is epic. Faaarrkkkkkkkk :D

Last edited:
Bella: if you write one or 2 paras, I will read them. When you write 15 I won't even read the first one.

This gov't couldn't organise a root in an appropriately zoned industrial area. They will approve half of Sunnybank to put their extended families in sardine box garage bedrooms (as described above) andoa pay them for the privelege. Here is the twist. They will be occupied by the same Chinese students they currently are.

But all in all i think it is an idea worthy of debate and I know lots of appropriate people who will sign up for it.