• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet Advice and Feedback

thomas18

Hi guys,
I recently started back at the gym and want to shed about 5kgs of body fat, before trying to add back about 5kg of lean muscle. I was hoping to get some feedback if what I am doing is on the right track. I worked out my BMR at 2820 ( I weigh 72kgs) and have started on a 2000 calories a day diet eating 6 meals throughout the day. I am eating 44% carb, 37% protein and 19% fats. I am weight training 4days a week ( Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri) and plan on doing three cardio sessions a week on the stationary bike.

Thanks
Thomas

My advise is first read Maxbrenners sticky in this section then come back and ask any other questions you have and people will help you out.

The Sticky about canning the 6 meals. I am not asking if I should be eating 6 meals or three meals - I merely asking if I am on the right track, with what I am doing?

The Sticky about canning the 6 meals. I am not asking if I should be eating 6 meals or three meals - I merely asking if I am on the right track, with what I am doing?

There is plenty more info than that. Also search through the other threads started by Max they will answer most if not all your questions.

Bazza20 - This is a forum where people can ask questions and get advice. I have done the reading on various sites and books and have decided to put up a post to get others opinions on my approach. If you do are merely going to direct me elsewhere then I am not interested, so pleae do not reply to my posts.

Bazza20 - This is a forum where people can ask questions and get advice. I have done the reading on various sites and books and have decided to put up a post to get others opinions on my approach. If you do are merely going to direct me elsewhere then I am not interested, so pleae do not reply to my posts.

Ok so you want to be spoon fed. I was directing you to maxs posts because he explains it better than I can and you can learn better how to work out you diet for yourself and learn a lot more. But anyway.

Ok here is the basics for you

Calorie estimates are just that, they can be way off. Keep it simple start off between 30-40 cal times body weight and go from there but your better off starting a bit higher. Give it min 2 weeks. If you don't drop any weight drop calories by 10% if you drop more than .5kg a week increase the calories.

As for macros. Percentages suck. Just make sure you are getting a minimum of 2g/kg body weight protein and .8g/kg fat. Then let the carbs work themselves out but preferably don't go below 100g.

There is plenty more info than that. Also search through the other threads started by Max they will answer most if not all your questions.

Do this then get come back for clarification. Personally I don't like your plan much and think that your BMR is insanely high for a 70 odd kilo person. Read the info then revise your plan.

Hi Dave - What dont you like about my plan. Would be interested to know. Using the 30 -40 calories per kilo gives me a BMR in the range of 2,160 - 2,880 ( I calculated 2,820), so it is in the top end. I am then using a calorie deficit of 800 per day. I personally think using a range of 30 - 40 is to great a range to start from (my opinion). I calculated my BMR using my wieght in pounds multiplied by 12. I then multiplied this number by 1.6 to calculate my resting metabolic rate (calorie burn without factoring in exercise).

You are referring to TDEE. And I agree that at 72kg unless you have a pretty active job you're TDEE would most likely be lower e.g. at 78kg mine is about 2600 as an office worker who strength trains 3x a week and does LISS cardio on off days & other random stuff on the weekend.

As was said, all the calcs are great but they're estimates. Log, assess, adjust if necessary.

Yes 185g should be more than adequate at you're weight.

Fat appears low at .26g/lb of BW.

72kgs and 2800 calories - Happy days :D Are you a brikie or something?

BW x 30-35 kcals. Stick with it for 2 weeks and then adjust as necessary (+ or - 10%) depending on progress.

Macro balance - minimums protein 2g/kg bw, fats 0.7g/kg bw carbs the rest if you wish or a minimum of 150 grams.

As JZ said that is not your BMR, its ok as he has corrected the term for you.

You are eating 6 times a day which is not needed or even beneficial and quite annoying to plan around. You are doing macros on a % rather than min amount (which max posted up. You have 7 exercise sessions a week plus an energy intensive job. Unless you need conditioning I would only stick to weight training to maximize muscle mass retention. Also I think your calorie deficit could be a bit high, but that is just because you would be more likely to lose more muscle mass on it but it is not that big of a deal more so a long term issue. If you read the sticky all this info in better detail is right there. I suggest you do it.

Oh and overall I think your plan should be get back in to lifting and gain some muscle mass and lose some fat at the same time rather than one or the other.