• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
That's great lifting. It's good to know that you can keep lifting great totals as you get older (not knocking your age), that's really impressive. I sometimes have to realise that the open comps are against guys in the early 20's and 30's and I've only just started myself. Ahhh to have my time over again lol.

Yeah my physical peak was spent in the middle of the bush,i dont think guys who are younger realise how much you can degenerate over time,i only really started weight training in my mid 30s. However in saying that i hit a tiny bench pb my last comp but thats probably because i never trained it properly before(and still dont lol). Open guys are generally guys who started early and are monsters. Thank goodness for masters,it would be unlikely i would play if there was no age groups. In saying that me getting beaten when i was 39 made me hungry.

Last edited:
Yeah am considering the Master in October. We'll see, I'm new to the game and feels like a big jump from a local comp to a national comp. In saying that, looking back on the last comp we (me and coach) thought I had another 10kg I could have added to the total. Given that and plenty of time left to train, maybe its worth looking at.

Id do it mate. Its not really that much of a jump and in actual fact going from open class to masters could possibly mean you are facing either no competition or only a few lifters. You win or place 2nd at Masters Nats then i think Robert would be considering. I was always big on stats and sussing out who i was up against,and you never know,the attrition rate in masters powerlifting is atrocious,1 misgrooved lift in training and there goes your competition. Even making it to the platform as an "oldie" in 1 piece is a big effort.

Hit an easy 161kg Bench in PA Meet on the weekend @103kg in 50-54 age division. Back is a bit buggered so only did bench.

It’s my best bench since my accident and now that 160 has fallen I can realistically see 170+ in the near term. 180 at 105 is going to be difficult. My blood pressure is ok at this bodyweight so not tempted to get much bigger. A few untested masters lifters are getting a bit boastful about their 400lb+ benches - I’d like to match them and remain in tested lifting. Not tempted to cross over yet but if I’m doing 170+ natty, there’s probably a 200+ bench in me if I went fake natty and changed feds.

Working on new flat soled squat technique now. Looking for a mid 600 total in October at the Australian Masters Games, and there will be a big bench in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk