• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

topic of the week -Do you use a specific repetition timing

Do you use a specific repetition timing

• Yes (explain)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No(just perform reps)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Do you use a specific repetition timing

Do you use a specific repetition timing which emphasizes the positive and negative part of the repetition such as 2-1-2 etc etc, or just lift a given number of repetitions in however long it takes to perform the amount of repetitions your routine dictates such as 10 reps etc

Some exercises I definitely use a very slow, controlled motion during each rep. Seated rows and pulldowns are 2 that come to mind. Others, like deadlift, you just get the bastard up.....no mucking around.

I use a cadence that eliminates any momentum.
Like DKD - others like deads and squats I just move the bastard as fast as I can.

With rows, if you wanna engage the lats you really have to go slow IMO and feel the muscle coming to the party. That exercise is too easy to do incorrectly without proper concentration, hence the need for slow, deliberate movement.

For bodybuilding/sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, its all about time under tension, so negatives are emphasised, contractions are held and the positive is relatively explosive. For example with most chest exercises, 3 second negative, 1 second positive, and a 1 second peak contraction depending on if full range of motion is used or the exercise.

For strength/myofibrilar, its all about strength and weight lifted, so its lifted as quickly yet safely as possible, with the negative controlled and momentum eliminated to reduce the potential for injury.

If the weight is heavy, as it should be, then you would have no choice but to move it slow.

I'm very strict when is supervise a session
Cadence is one way where the trainee often robs themselves the opportunity to biuld size and strength and ultimately injures themselves in the process.

If you are unable to pause in the contracted position for a second or two then you are moving too fast and you are not in control of the rep and more often than not, it is momentum that is moving the weight not the targeted muscleture.

The rep should be as fast as possible in the positive portion but still slow enough to be able to pause before commencing the negative portion of the rep, the negative portion should be twice as slow and under control and the muscleture must be under constant tension, no relaxing or letting gravity take over.

No moving around in the exercise to get the last rep

The row is a good example to use
One of the common problems with the hammer strength leverage machines with those bearings which are now very common is for the trainee to easily allow momentum to complete the rep and further into the set the rep's ROM gets shorter and shorter, swinging the weight back and forth.

I don't subscribe to that sarcoplasmic/ hyperwhatsee stuff.

You exercise to build strength, not to demonstrate it.

I don't worry about rep speed, other than to say that I do exercises as fast as I can whilst maintaining control and using the right driving patterns. If I can't drive the weight up properly, then I slow down until I can.

Just switching over to very low weight, fast positive, slow negative maximum time under tension, mind muscle connection, hypertrophy erection!

rather have big muscles than be stronger. YES I SAID IT!

Just switching over to very low weight, fast positive, slow negative maximum time under tension, mind muscle connection, hypertrophy erection!

rather have big muscles than be stronger. YES I SAID IT!
It's OK, you can say it here!

i have no set timing that i try to follow, for squat, 1 rep breath, go when ready same for bench.
deads, up down, breath, go. no long pauses

If bodybuilding, then it's constant and steady. If weightlifting, it's generally explosiveness all the way during the concentric part of the lift.

Fadi.

concentric as fast as possible
eccentric as fast as possible without shitting myself

lmao :D

That's a very scientific explanation 0ni wan kenobi!! lolol

No need to google any research on that one!

U.N.D.E.R.S.T.O.O.D. :eek:

lol

Posting

Anyway, if you read Supertraining you'd know that lifting a weight as fast as possible increases motor unit activation and therefore gains. And that a faster eccentric increases the stretch reflex and allows you to lift a weight faster. The more motor units you activate, the more you can fatigue, the more you hypertrophy

Please be aware of the impact a fast eccentric movement can have on a muscle fibre, tendons, and ligaments. A muscle tear is not worth the stretch reflex benefit one may acquire from performing their eccentric phase of an exercise in a fast manner.

Let’s take the triceps French curl as an example here.

002+Triceps+Lee+Priest+SEATED+OVERHEAD+DUMBBELL+EXTENSION.jpg

Lee Priest

Being careless in the eccentric phase of the exercise by lowering the dumbbell behind the head in a fast manner can very much increase the probability of a triceps tear. It’s not worth it!

0308levrone02.jpg

Kevin Levrone

According to bodybuilding sources, Kevin did the damage whilst performing lat pull downs. The stretch phase here is when the arms are at full stretch and pointing towards the ceiling. So this is not restricted to one exercise or another, but rather it's about being mindful when in full stretch under tension. I would recommend people choose for their first exercise a flexing type of an exercise over one that has a higher element of stretching in it. For example, I would recommend you do barbell or dumbbell curls before you do preacher curls.

Bodybuilders such as Lee Priest won’t even lower the dumbbell to full stretch when performing the French curls, being very mindful of the risk to injury this full stretch under high tension may cause.

I have absolutely nothing to gain by giving you this advice, but I won’t stand idle if I see a member here intentionally or unintentionally behave irresponsibly with his or her recommendations to others.

Injuries are neither funny nor amusing. This is not a joking matter and a matter I take very seriously!

People of understanding, please reflect upon the few words I've shared with you above and always remember: none of us is bulletproof.

I thank you for your time.

Peace.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Posting

Anyway, if you read Supertraining you'd know that lifting a weight as fast as possible increases motor unit activation and therefore gains. And that a faster eccentric increases the stretch reflex and allows you to lift a weight faster. The more motor units you activate, the more you can fatigue, the more you hypertrophy

We're not doing Olympic or powerlifting here and we're not here to increase the risk of injury.

We're here to work the muscle, not increase speed or use momentum.

We're not doing Olympic or powerlifting here and we're not here to increase the risk of injury.

We're here to work the muscle, not increase speed or use momentum.

I think this is where most discussions on exercise lose their course darky.

Last edited: