• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce
Howdy,
Lately I've been smashing the dips.
I've been doing them first up when strength levels are high.
My question is how do you warm up? I can't just use BW because it's like doing a working set straight up.

I put my feet on floor and and take some weight off but it sux?:mad:

How do you warm up?

push ups.

Im looking forward to getting into the dips for the next 8 weeks. I wonder if there will be any bench carry over.

I warm up with just body weight
First warmup is 16 to 20 reps BW
Second set 15 reps+ 5kg
Third set 12 to 14 + 10kg
Fourth set 10 reps + 20kg

I do these upright for the tris after doing bench

I never have warmed up for dips...just straight into it. Even when adding weight, I'll do those sets first, and maybe 1-2 sets at the end with just bodyweight.

Dips are an exercise I find I only have 5 or so sets in me. After that, even if I wait 5-6 minutes for another set, that set will be shit coz triceps just get fried at a certain point and I can barely do another 2-3 reps.

I just do my usual upper body warm up, first set is normally done with an orange powerband, last 2 sets body weight.

Yeah i do them upright for tri's more, so 2 sets or 15 for warm up and the start adding the weight, 10kg, 20kg and 30kg.

Usually do them after chest press and other stuff so already warmed up.
BW unassisted every time at the moment.

Sometimes done as a superset with tri pressdowns. In that case, the number i do per set goes way down ... tired...

Hammo
Do some light shoulder presses if you like.

But really, if you feel alright on the first rep or two and you can move quite easily and controlled you'll be right, it's the last rep were all the action is regardless of the weight and number of rep's used.
Do a second set with some weight around the waist.

Thanks all.

After reaching 4 sets of 10 I have decided weight is now in order.

So maybe doing 3-4 sets of 3 or 4 reps and some light shoulder press.

I feel dips really work the upper body hard and don't want to jump in without thorough warm up. Like i said I'm doing dips first so I am cold straight up.

I find I have better results just going into work sets for these but im usually already warmed up. But in the past I have use the body assist or i do 2 - 3 really slow and controlled bw dips and really squeeze at the top. Seems to work for me

if you need to warm up id just throw out a few cable push downs or close grip bench, but i use dips to burn out at the end of a tricep session and just do 6 sets without too much rest.... body weight probably 22-18-15-12-12-12 reps

Last edited:
Use a band, just hold it on both handles and put your knees on it. This will allow you to warm up using the exercise.

Gree i do them light on bench day, usually just rep out at bw, or add weight so i am still doing 5 reps minimum on shoulders and arms day....usually My tris are too shagged after 10 work sets on bench to load em up effectively

60 kg around my waist for 1 rep I weighed 86ish

But it doesn't feel good on the spine to hang it off around my hips

Has anyone ever gone for a 1rm dip? What'd ya get?

I did need assistance getting up into position lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever gone for a 1rm dip? What'd ya get?

I had a crack for the odd lifts challenge, got 50 x 3, so had a crack at 60, got stuck at the bottom, and could only just get out of it...I always do full range of motion dips. @ 73kgbw