• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Image of Bodyfat Percentages

lol

Is it wrong that this kinda depresses me?

It is also wrong that I find myself slightly aroused by cartoonish men in underwear? :eek:

My thoughts exactly

Yeah, another 'woosa' moment.

l don't really like the trying to aim for a specific bodyfat %. If you're quite skinny you're going to be sub 10% bodyfat but you might not be able to see your abs or look to flash. l think you should just go on what you see in the mirror and not by numbers on a scale or bodyfat %.... Personal opinion though so settle down.

Yeah personally not really a fan of those scetches, i would prefer to see real lift people with the %age body fat, i think this would give a better idea of what the %age body fat looks like..

Yeah personally not really a fan of those scetches, i would prefer to see real lift people with the %age body fat, i think this would give a better idea of what the %age body fat looks like..

l think it's hard to know what it's going to look like though. Everyone is different. 60kg at 8% looks a lot different then 80kg at 8%. I'd think 80 @ 8% would look a lot leaner as well... could be wrong though.

l think it's hard to know what it's going to look like though. Everyone is different. 60kg at 8% looks a lot different then 80kg at 8%. I'd think 80 @ 8% would look a lot leaner as well... could be wrong though.
Dont think weight would make a differnence, although i would agree that height would make a difference, eg 80kg @8% for some 5'4" would looks a lot bigger and maybe leaner than someone 6'0" who may look skinny ripped if that makes sense?

Dont think weight would make a differnence, although i would agree that height would make a difference, eg 80kg @8% for some 5'4" would looks a lot bigger and maybe leaner than someone 6'0" who may look skinny ripped if that makes sense?

I do get what you're saying, just hard to picture exactly what x% is going to look like on anyone.

Yeah very true but it will give an rough indication, just like 10% is a rough indication of when people start showing abs, some show at 12% and others not till maybe 8%...

Ive always had a narrow waist and held fat on my back and limbs, I thought i was about 23% when I was actually 28%. Devo, added 5-6 more kgs to my weightloss plan.

Ooooooh alarm bells ....

OK folks, take as much care in noting your BF% as you do BMI.
Yep, that's right.

Those pics don't actually mean much in the real world.
Why?

Because BF% is misunderstood. Yes, it's a guideline yada yada yada .. blah blah BUT it's not a very good one at all.
The only way to use it meaningfully is if you do a comparison over time on yourself....looking for relative changes. That's cool. But as an absolute number it's meaningless.

Why?

Because it does not tell you how much BF you actually have ... ie whether it is high or low in an absolute sense. It is not a measure of BF in isolation.
If your LBM (including bone, muscle, other lean tissue) is extremely high or very low for you as an individual, this measure may well provide you with a misleading guide as to what you ought to focus on with diet etc.

Anyone who's had a DEXA scan would know this...you only look at the absolute numbers in KG and what they mean for your frame, age, weight, yada yada.

good example...me. From those pics, I'd be saying I look as though I'd be well unde 15% BF. Yay me.
Then I get my DEXA done.... OMG kill me now....my BF% is 24.9%

Quick, fat loss is the focus! Well, hang on....hmmm looking at my BF in kg and everything else on the DEXA, I'm in the ultra ultra lean category. Losing fat is gonna be a challenge that could end up with bad health ramifications as i don't have a lot to lose.

Why is the % so high? Am I skinny fat? Yes and No.
Not a lot of LBM on that exoskeleton. I need to put on 7 - 10kg of LBM. To be a lean, mean fightin' machine. But I'm not fat on the inside.

Moral of the story ... be careful in how you interpret and use BF% results, however you measure them.
CONTEXT is the key .. you need all your info, not just this measure.

:D