• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why are you not getting stronger?

The importance of progression may help out a lot of noobs. Most I see on the gym do not progress or have a really bad plan (read no actual plan) to progress. Following a plan of progression.

Consistency has already been stated, if you can make people consistent though you have a billion dollar idea that I would not share with anyone.

I have been quite hectic with work and study, my consistency has been out the window and I felt a bit run down for a couple of weeks before the hectic stuff even started.

I am trying my ass off to get a regular hrs job, still waiting on a couple of replies, this leaves you on egg shells when you want it so bad (If they only knew)

What else?????errrmmmm........Oh yeh, just hurt my lower back (fucken yaaay :() doing a light set of rear laterals (I know, WTF :confused:).

I am patient though, and in it for the long haul so I will come back strong. It sucks ass as I was doing so well for the first 3 months, this month has basically fwaaarked me.......just need to get shit together a bit more so I can concentrate on my training again.

main reason would be time,
trying to fit it in with work/study/family/kids, leads to missing workouts sometimes even whole weeks.

I reckon I'm almost better off training closer to my maxes all the time - using wave periodisation of 3-4 week cycles more like original Westide principles or 5/3/1. This way even if something unexpected comes up, you're closer to your prime and detraining effect is way less pronounced. Or even Sheiko might still work, where the intensity does not change much - only the volume is manipulated.
This I like, help me Obi Wan.

I get a major detraining effect when my 11 week PPP cycle gets interrupted. I'd love to have something that would keep me making gains even if I was cycling every three weeks. I was thinking of going back to a 5x5 system so I always had some volume and only test 1rm when I've had a good few months straight.

Unfortunately, I get sick, my kid/wife gets sick, my businesses explode (as now), I travel with work, I work long hours or any other host of issues. I'm committed, but I don't have the flexibility or stress levels I had when I was a teen/twenty-something. Life gets a whole lot harder as you get older and take on a lot more commitments.

Cheers,
Mike

I get a major detraining effect when my 11 week PPP cycle gets interrupted. I'd love to have something that would keep me making gains even if I was cycling every three weeks. I was thinking of going back to a 5x5 system so I always had some volume and only test 1rm when I've had a good few months straight.

Unfortunately, I get sick, my kid/wife gets sick, my businesses explode (as now), I travel with work, I work long hours or any other host of issues. I'm committed, but I don't have the flexibility or stress levels I had when I was a teen/twenty-something. Life gets a whole lot harder as you get older and take on a lot more commitments.

Cheers,
Mike

You do what you can when you can mate.
Some things can't be helped.
At least you try.

I'd have to say injury as I've had a few also shift work stuffs me around an 3rd is stress about the house I'm building

The importance of progression may help out a lot of noobs. Most I see on the gym do not progress or have a really bad plan (read no actual plan) to progress. Following a plan of progression.

Consistency has already been stated, if you can make people consistent though you have a billion dollar idea that I would not share with anyone.

I'd be interested to know how many keep a log book in their gym bag.

I'd be interested to know how many keep a log book in their gym bag.

I do, has everything in there: warm up, stretches, mobility, pain and of course all my workout details. Started on the first day in the gym.
Unfortunately alot of noobs start without good guidence.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Mike

I'm going to explore a Westside template for bench press by Dave Tate which works on a model of 3 waves of 3 weeks of intense training varying the exercise each wave. The idea of varying the exercise is to avoid overtraining and ensure continual progress. After 9 weeks, deload. It is like a mix between 5/3/1 and Westside.

It is basically:

Sunday - DE day - 8 set of 3 speed bench with varying grip width (week 1 - 55%, week 2 - 60%, week 3 - 65%)

Wednesday - ME day - Week 1 - work up to max set of 5, then drop weight 20% and do a set of 8
Week 2 - work up to max set of 3, then drop weight 20% and do a set of 5
Week 3 - work up to 1RM, then drop weight 20% and do a set of 3

Then accessories on each day.

For the ME day, wave 1 might be floor press, wave 2 might be 2 board press, wave 3 might be pin presses for lockout. Variations might also use bands or RAM or whatever else.

Under this model, missing a week would not be the end of the world. It might also be good for overworked stressheads like us, because your training weight is determined by how good you are that particular day, which might vary wildly depending on what happened with work/family etc that day or that week. You can go harder when you are fresh and do the best you can on the days you are beat to ensure you always have quality training.

I think these kinds of programming ideas are worth exploring.

I've been writing a log for the last 25 or so years!
I still have these log books, even my first one.
This is my recent one
cb64f125-0f2e-5289.jpg

The plates on the bar recorded only.
Progression and recording the weight and rep's is the key to my training longevity, not as much as I used to lift, but it enabled me to continue lifting three times a week using three different templates.

injury & sleep are my biggest factors.

In saying that, I've still been making good gains in areas that aren't injured so I guess I'm mainly doing it right?

Training is going amazingly well for me at the moment
I'm going to say my frequency of training is the only thing holding me back at the moment. If I could train with weights twice a day I can only imagine the progress I'd be making lol. Twice daily training is going well so far. The only thing that's gone stale is my squatting

This is my recent one
cb64f125-0f2e-5289.jpg

Progression and recording the weight and rep's is the key to my training longevity, not as much as I used to lift, but it enabled me to continue lifting three times a week using three different templates.
Love it

This is my recent one
cb64f125-0f2e-5289.jpg

Post up your first workouts :p