• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Sign of Strength?

What is the marker of absolute strength?

• Bench

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Squat

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • DL

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Other - please specify and elaborate in your post

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Bella

Babycakes
I have been speaking with various people, debating whether, if training for strength, what is your benchmark of 'truly strong'?

Is it the :

Bench
Squat
DL

I know, from much reading that most on this forum have their own numbers, they aspire to attain with all 3 compound movements/lift's to hit a total weight goal margin.

I guess my question is, do you mark a 'strong person' by the amount they DL? The amount they Squat? Or the amount they Bench?

I know I am guilty of thinking the DL signals greater strength. But then I've never done the squat or the bench......yet :)

But it inspired heated debate amongst my friends who actually workout and lift. So I thought I'd ask you all...Which is the mark of absolute strength for you, and why?

Deadlift.

Just basic brute strength. Pick a heavy bar up of the floor and stand up straight with it.

All three.

You will always have people that are suited to certain lifts, which is why PLing is one on a total.

However, its hard to compare totals as people have different bodyweights, thats why formulas are used.

375 glossbrenner points is stronger than 95% of "lifters" in australia, but 400+ I class as strong.

All three.

You will always have people that are suited to certain lifts, which is why PLing is one on a total.

However, its hard to compare totals as people have different bodyweights, thats why formulas are used.

375 glossbrenner points is stronger than 95% of "lifters" in australia, but 400+ I class as strong.

But if you had to pick one.

I would also class that as strong Sticky lol

Hmm it's interesting and you make a good point...which is why I had the fourth 'other' option there.

Intellectually, I know it's a combination of all 3 based on weight etc...I've done enough reading here to understand that. But for pure brute strength, for some reason I still find the DL so impressive.

And like I said, maybe it's just because I've seen people on youtube and in my real world, pull massive numbers on a DL, which to me, are just unfathomable??

It's impressive lol

Thanks for the feedback lads, it's always interesting to see what others think.

Other reasons for me saying deadlift is that squats are an awesome indicator of strength but will always have the depth issue.

And bench is upper body lift plus you see some massively flexible people that get it down to a couple inches range of motion. Also If I was to pick an upper body lift it would be an OH lift before bench.

voted squat, its best marker out of those provided I think. Some ppl only say deadlift cuz its a bigger number.

Clean and jerk is a fairly good marker too imo.

I think deadlift because its something that everyone emulates at least some point in there life. ie picking something up and putting it down like a box or rock or something. Where as squat, even though everyone does it, who actually puts a heavy object over their shouders and than squats up and down besides lifters? maybe a few peeps for certain work but most will only ever squat their own body weight.

Deadlift for me

Deadlift. More of a fullbody lift, you can't cheat it, less technique involved, just brute fucking strength.

Squat a close second. Bench further down the line, possibly behind standing overhead press.

IMO TOTAL is number one. Of the individual lifts, a walked up legal depth squat is the best test.

The ROM of a squat is measured by reference to the lifter's own body. Hip crease below the top of the knee is the same for everyone. The problem is with the judging the depth of a squat.

Bench press ROM is fixed by the score mark on the knurl of the bar. Shorter armed and barrel chested lifters will move the bar less.

Deadlift ROM likewise is affected by arm length - the other way.

The beauty of the total is that strong benchers tend to be relatively poorer deadlifters and vice versa. It evens everything out. The strongest lifters are the ones putting up the biggest totals.

Do you guys think being able to demonstrate strength dynamically is important too?

Eg oly total
Or max reps (like at nfl combine)

Although if you can clean and press a bar with absolutely no technique at all (like me) for max weight then I would be willing to place that as a better indicator of raw strength than bench.