• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Sign of Strength?

What is the marker of absolute strength?

• Bench

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Squat

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • DL

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Other - please specify and elaborate in your post

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
besides, u cant determine strength with a single lift.
it must be a combination, then classed by weight and put through a formula such as what sticky said (i think it was sticky who mentioned glossbrenner , if not oops cbf looking back) then u get an even comparison.

Lol Come on cal, everyone knows that a combination of lifts is going to be better at determining strength than just one, that's why strength comps have more than one lift. But the thread is about if you just had to pick one.

As for comp squats. Look on YouTube you will see tons of high squats passed in comps.

So its safe to say that bench isn't the best sign of strength.

Well that's me and half the gym monkeys of the world screwed...

So its safe to say that bench isn't the best sign of strength.

Well that's me and half the gym monkeys of the world screwed...

lol The squat and the DL seem to be the front runners, neck and neck all of a sudden? wtf happened there? lol.....don't worry Freak man....Bella is certain you are WAY strong ;)

Rugged

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFb_7LB8LA8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]175# TGU July 11th.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

The sign of strength is: 'Other'

1. the person willing to say they don't know what that is
2. Willing to approach everything with the beginners mindset.

Devante.

question: what are we measuring it against?

i would say someone is strong if they can:

a) bench x1 bodyweight
b) squat x1.5 bodyweight
c) DL x2 bodyweight

these figures arent alarming for people who have been doing gym for a while - but when i think of this question i measure it against the entire population.

EG: if a guy who has never done gym before can bench his own bodyweight i would consider strong, as most of the population cant

Other....

Ill have to go with the Clean and Jerk, as there are no shortcuts or ways to cheat getting a loaded barbell from the ground over your head.

With the big three there are ways to reduce the range of motion to be able to lift greater weights. Such as the reduction in range from sumo deadlifts and wide stance squats, and the excessive arching reducing the range of motion on bench.

^ Weightlifters typically do squat cleans so that they don't have to pull the bar as high to get it onto their shoulders, so that they can lift heavier weights. It may not be a reduced ROM, per se (in fact it's an increased ROM for the body), but it is reduced bar travel once the explosion has occurred.

^ Weightlifters typically do squat cleans so that they don't have to pull the bar as high to get it onto their shoulders, so that they can lift heavier weights. It may not be a reduced ROM, per se (in fact it's an increased ROM for the body), but it is reduced bar travel once the explosion has occurred.

Disagree with this. The bar is pulled the same height regardless of whether it's a powerclean or squat clean. The shoulders are shrugged and the hips, knees and ankles are in 'triple extension'. At this very moment, the power clean and squat clean are identical. The heavier the weight, the closer to the ground one needs to "receive" the 3rd pull.

I do however agree that the clean and jerk is one of the best signs of strength.

Last edited:
Sign of strength, imo is being strong across the board at a multitude of lifts and tests of physical strength.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MHQRGef5s]WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN 2009 MALTA PUDZIANOWSKI vs SAVICKAS FINAL EVENT ATLAS STONES - YouTube[/ame]