• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Sign of Strength?

What is the marker of absolute strength?

• Bench

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Squat

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • DL

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Other - please specify and elaborate in your post

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
You can cheat a deadlift.

I've seen plenty of hitches passed at powerlifting comps.

While not "cheating", some competitions allow specialty deadlift bars which increase the amount you can lift. No different to equipment advancements in the other lifts really.

You can cheat a deadlift.

I've seen plenty of hitches passed at powerlifting comps.

While not "cheating", some competitions allow specialty deadlift bars which increase the amount you can lift. No different to equipment advancements in the other lifts really.

Hitching is only cheating in PL, its ok in SM. Squat bars are available, monolifts, squat shoes, etc. Bench can have the range of motion shortened while not effecting the dynamic of the lift. The same cannot be said for deads.

With deads there is a set range of motion and you get it up there by hook or by crook. Sumo is not cheating as it gives you a shorter ROM in exchange for what is usually a much less mechanically efficient motion.

Lets say you can cheat the least in DL.

I'd have to agree with El Freako, theres to many variables when you do a squat and bench. With deadlifts no matter what the variable if you lift 200kg you lift 200kg, bench for example changing your arm width isnt going to increase your bench from 150 - 200. My personal opinion though.

im going to say squat, there is nothing you can do to cheat a squat if you get stuck, theres no where to rest the weight for hitching, if you lean back or forwards you fall over. only way to cheat it is cut depth, and under comp conditions depth is watched very closely, and generally if there is doubt about it making depth, it will get reds.

deadlift you can hitch it, rest the weight, lean back to force lockout etc.
sure its brute strength picking it up, but you waste no energy walking up to it, a squat you need to pick it up, walk it out, and then begin the lift itself. whats not brute strength about a squat? whats not brute strength pressing a weight that has come to a complete stop on the chest? they are all brute strength lifts. the only thing that the dl might have the edge on is loading the muscles with the weight in a decent.

deadlift you have time to fuck around with foot placement so that your stance is right, with a squat its hard to recover from a shit walkout where your feet arnt angled right, to try and correct it is just going to kill your energy.

people jump to the DL because its a bigger number... but when u got the same muscle groups working wouldnt the larger number indicate an easier lift? (and before someone jumps on that, i am aware that the extra weight evens it out, but im just sayin)

im going to say squat, there is nothing you can do to cheat a squat if you get stuck, theres no where to rest the weight for hitching, if you lean back or forwards you fall over. only way to cheat it is cut depth, and under comp conditions depth is watched very closely, and generally if there is doubt about it making depth, it will get reds.
)

Lol. Not from the vids i consistently see on the net. Depth can be dodgy as.

I used to squat 100kgs..... PL training put me on my arse. Was scaled back to 55kgs below parallel....
Squat is a tricky one.....

people jump to the DL because its a bigger number... but when u got the same muscle groups working wouldnt the larger number indicate an easier lift? (and before someone jumps on that, i am aware that the extra weight evens it out, but im just sayin)

I never picked DL for the weight moved, I picked it because its the purest, most functional and most reliant on brute strength. There's no stretch reflex to help your out of the hole, you unrack nothing, you can take your shirt of to do it in comp!

I never picked DL for the weight moved, I picked it because its the purest, most functional and most reliant on brute strength. There's no stretch reflex to help your out of the hole, you unrack nothing, you can take your shirt of to do it in comp!

Yep this. It has the least bullshit of all the lifts. You can look at any comp, raw, geared or what ever and a big deadlift is a big deadlift no matter what.

If we go down the line of thinking about less weight moved in the squat like Callan was saying. Then that would mean a one legged squat on a wobble board is better than a squat at determining strength because less weight was used.

"Sure you gotta be strong to pick the weight up off the floor but to pick it up and put it over you head. Now that's strength. "

"Clean & Jerk is the best overall power movement by far. I can't think of a muscle group that isn't somehow used in that movement when it's done correctly."

i cant believe it hasn't come up yet.

"Sure you gotta be strong to pick the weight up off the floor but to pick it up and put it over you head. Now that's strength. "

"Clean & Jerk is the best overall power movement by far. I can't think of a muscle group that isn't somehow used in that movement when it's done correctly."

I mentioned it

Clean and jerk is awesome but it involves a lot a technique to lift massive weights. Deadlift anyone can do pretty much straight away.

It has been mentioned and dismissed as a more technical movement. Not pure strength.

Personally I think The squat is the biggest test of strength and I say that when I'm a much better deadlifter than I am a squatter.

The clean and jerk, in my opinion, is a good indicator of strength. A full amplitude lift that involves more muscle groups than any other lift that i can think of right now. What about lift complexes? There would surely be a good complex out there that measures the strength of individuals through a variety of lifts. I remember there being a sticky posted recently with some "Bear" complexes that was deleted for some reason. I think the person who posted it was made to look a little weak by others attempting the complex. Bring it back!

Yep this. It has the least bullshit of all the lifts. You can look at any comp, raw, geared or what ever and a big deadlift is a big deadlift no matter what.

If we go down the line of thinking about less weight moved in the squat like Callan was saying. Then that would mean a one legged squat on a wobble board is better than a squat at determining strength because less weight was used.
no need to be a smart arse. i simply gave my opinion, i wasnt saying that that is exactly how it is. i was saying that in theory, if you look at it as if you have got to lift a weight, with the weight sitting below your hips, or up on your shoulders, the weight on your shoulders is going to be harder to lift simply because you are top heavy.

Lol. Not from the vids i consistently see on the net. Depth can be dodgy as.
at all PA comps that i have been to, no one has gotten away with high squats... at the last small comp i was at one of the guys was struggling to make depth in a suit, on his last attempt he made it, but it was debatable so they didnt give it to him. i thought i said under comp conditions, so squats were deep. u can hardly call a high squat a squat... an attempt at squatting maybe hehehe :D lol

the only thing that the dl might have the edge on is loading the muscles with the weight in a decent.
ops just noticed i worded that wrong should of been "the only thing the dl might have the edge on is no loading of the muscles with the weight in a decent."

Squat, old school, high bar, feet shoulder width apart.

You have to take the weight, feel it

Desend with that weight

Pick a point deep enough to pause with it.

mongrel that weight back up to a standing position.

Bench doesn't tax your entire body
oly lifts are technical lifting
Deads don't have an ecentric prelift portion, that potentially fatigues or stresses the muscles

besides, u cant determine strength with a single lift.
it must be a combination, then classed by weight and put through a formula such as what sticky said (i think it was sticky who mentioned glossbrenner , if not oops cbf looking back) then u get an even comparison.