• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

kaz

iLift
Both exercises have their benefits and hold a place in strength and Conditioning. But which one is really better?

Kipping Pull ups have been made infamous by Crossfitters, while the Dead Hand Pull ups is well renowned by athletes, coaches, trainers and trainees for building upper body strength.

I've always believed that you should learn pull ups from a dead hang first, as the momentum needed in Kipping pull ups is far more sophisticated, and takes a full body of coordination to complete.

Is using momentum to complete a pull up cheating, or does the hip snap and use of full body of the "Kip" radiate it away from being a strength exercise, but more of a full body conditioning exercise?

Where do Kipping pullups belong? Chances are not in the body building world, and not with those who have pre existing shoulder and back injuries? So is a kipping pull up just a matter of preference?

I'm all for kipping pull ups, and yes I can do pull ups from a dead hang, my preference is to Kip, and I'm proud :)

Argue away.......

This is a debate?

I can see some benefit in kipping as a conditioning exercise but in every other way including strength, hypertrophy, injury prevention, dead hang pullups are far superior.

I think its best not to even compare the two as they are vastly different things.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know a kipping pull up until I walked past the chin bar and someone kicked me in the head but it sounds like a way for people who can't do pull ups to do pull ups. All this talk of momentum and hip snaps just sounds like swinging your dumbell curls.

If it gets sedentary people moving then it's a good thing but it doesn't sound like it has much place in a serious training regimen.

I must admit i did not know what they were until very recently. I might try one day so i can partake in the debate.

dead hang ftw. kipping is for pussies who cant chin lol
thats like asking, deadlifting and letting the bar rest between reps, or catching the bounce to cheat the first 6 inches

Hammo, you will look strange doing a kipping pull up lol ;)
DarkOz, just checked, its in the right section! Not a very good debatable argument for or against ;)

Both are proper exercises, but are for different uses.....

No they are not deep.

Please explain the benefits of the Kipping pull up as a safe movement to improve movement and strengthening the muscle of the back and shoulder.

And one has a considerably greater risk of injury with far less carry over to other exercises.

I truly do not understand the CF obsession with kipping chins...

I saw it coming and I stated 4 years ago that crossfit wanted to be a sport.

Kipping Pull ups are for full body strength and conditioning

Strict pull up from a dead hang is primarily for building direct upper body strength

deep tried to do it the first time she was at my gym. She got through one and I told her to get off and promise to never taint the gym again. LOL