• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Maybe there's a message there for you?

Its a debate worth talking about ;)
Before I posted this thread, I messaged a member and said
"Kipping Pull ups vs Dead hang pull ups' reckon im gonna get alot of shit for this.... guess the response I got.....

Its a debate worth talking about ;)
Before I posted this thread, I messaged a member and said
"Kipping Pull ups vs Dead hang pull ups' reckon im gonna get alot of shit for this.... guess the response I got.....

Maybe you should've asked us first :D

Its a kick, a snap at the hips, motion from the back muscles tighten to pull into a chin up. Its full body use.
u can tighten muscles without flicking them. tightness in a strict pull up en be achieved by hooking your feet together and squeezing. it can also be done by squeezing the hammies. i often get hammie cramps when doing dead hang chins (when i do them lol)

leg tightness and drive is used in a bench press... but its not going to make my legs stronger is it?

edit: it might be full body use, but its not full body strength gaining

u can tighten muscles without flicking them. tightness in a strict pull up en be achieved by hooking your feet together and squeezing. it can also be done by squeezing the hammies. i often get hammie cramps when doing dead hang chins (when i do them lol)

leg tightness and drive is used in a bench press... but its not going to make my legs stronger is it?

Good argument. It probably does nothing for the legs. But the legs are needed for the lift....?

I can guess which member that was.....

You get chocolate if you guess ccorrect.

Trent has tried kipping pull ups. Was hilarious. I don't think he got the chin above the bar however.
I have seen his pull ups with chains, now that's amazing.

Is this kipping for curls ?
4f78bce6.mp4
It's for the laughs

I remember once in one of my pre-ptc workouts, I did 100 kipping pull ups. 50 x 2.
I never had shoulder injuries from kipping pull ups, I lost mobility. The only injury I had was I kicked a support bar and broke a piece of my tibia.

Good argument. It probably does nothing for the legs. But the legs are needed for the lift....?

Legs might be needed for the lift but it doesn't work the legs, therefore cannot be a full-body exercise as it doesn't work the majority of the body.

Squats need the upper back but aren't an upper back exercise.

Kips are barely even a back and arm exercise, they're a conditioning exercise like pushing the prowler or burpees.

their not needed, they are an accessory to make it easier on the upper body, for both the kipping pull up and the bench press, for the strict pull up they are a pain coz the legs are 50% of your body weight lol but the tightness you can get from your legs makes a massive difference from being loose, if you have loose legs they are just dangling they will make the lift harder then it should be , iv also noticed if im not tight i tend to start swinging much more then that if im tight, if you can generate tightness it will make the lift easier, no matter what the lift is.

Legs might be needed for the lift but it doesn't work the legs, therefore cannot be a full-body exercise as it doesn't work the majority of the body.

Kips are barely even a back and arm exercise, they're a conditioning exercise like pushing the prowler or burpees.
id say a kipping pull up would work your grip more than your upper body lol

This is true, and where the comment comes in "Is momentum cheating", well it is, but you also need some sort of upper body strength to finish the lift chin over the bar.
After 20 kips, you'll be puffed and sweaty, but does it make you stronger or fitter to progress to more reps?