• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Do you mean the pressing part or the moving it forward with your lats part?

I found once I started benching 125kg+ for the first time as working sets it was really hard unracking it. I just eventually adjusted to my new working weight. I dont have to use my lats a lot to move it forward though. I set up so I lock out 1 inch from the rack (I believe Sticky once said this to me).

I think lots of heavy dips 'going forward' with a close grip have helped make the press part (of unracking) really easy. My strength curve is now strong at the top, weak at the bottom, like most people. I would say I could unrack 160kg without issues now.

As the worlds worst bencher i can lift out over 200kg, never knew it was an issue with people.

Seriously how can people not lift out what they can bench.

Taking it out the rack is the issue. The rack holds are a very deep V you can't just drag it out the rack like on a competition bench

You overextend your shoulder at lockout from what I can see there. Keep your shoulder blades tight back otherwise you're just extending your ROM.

Yeah. Is this the only issue you can see? Bar path and shit is fine?
I die in the elbows 90 degrees place. So I am training up my chest lots.
The next exercise I'll rotate in will be floor presses as well as I think I lower one side different to the other

Looks like you sort of relax your arse down on the bench without maintaining as much leg drive and arching as you could.

I dont know, I arch a little more and feel like I get something out of it. I think 'leg drive leg drivex100' in my head too.

Looks like you sort of relax your arse down on the bench without maintaining as much leg drive and arching as you could.

I dont know, I arch a little more and feel like I get something out of it. I think 'leg drive leg drivex100' in my head too.

Yeah that's my hip mobility and something I am working on daily!

I don't think that's so much a problem but it did make me focus more on his arch which you can plainly see decreases as he presses out because he allows his shoulders to overextend and his chest to drop thereby losing tension at lockout.

I'm not sure what freako means by shoulders extended, but that sounds interesting. What I meant was he sort of sets up a tight arch but as he puts his feet down and into position he relaxes a bit. Then he puts his feet in another position, on his toes a little, and tries to get the arch again.

Of course I've done a lot less benching than freako, it was just an observation.

I'm not sure what freako means by shoulders extended, but that sounds interesting. What I meant was he sort of sets up a tight arch but as he puts his feet down and into position he relaxes a bit. Then he puts his feet in another position, on his toes a little, and tries to get the arch again.

Of course I've done a lot less benching than freako, it was just an observation.

Before you start pressing you should retract your shoulder blades and the bar will sink slightly. When 0ni is lockout out he is not maintaining the retraction and is extending his shoulders forward, effectively increasing his ROM as he tries to lockout.

I see what you mean about the setup but I think its just 0ni's hips being too tight to comfortable maintain that position.

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my bench press.

I've hurt my hamme (again) so am only doing upper body. Did my press (3x5 at 47.5kg, new pb) and then did bench. I had been doing sets of 8 pull ups between sets as well. Anyway, warmed up, got to my working weight of 75kg, did 1 set and struggled on last rep. Did 2nd set and on the last rep couldn't make it, resulting in the bar hitting my forehead which has now left a nasty bump (I think I'm ok aside from that).

Anyway, is it weak triceps causing me to be unable to push out? The fact I got very little sleep and worked all day on my feet? That I had done too much earlier and only rest 2 minutes between everything? Bench help please!

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my bench press.

I've hurt my hamme (again) so am only doing upper body. Did my press (3x5 at 47.5kg, new pb) and then did bench. I had been doing sets of 8 pull ups between sets as well. Anyway, warmed up, got to my working weight of 75kg, did 1 set and struggled on last rep. Did 2nd set and on the last rep couldn't make it, resulting in the bar hitting my forehead which has now left a nasty bump (I think I'm ok aside from that).

Anyway, is it weak triceps causing me to be unable to push out? The fact I got very little sleep and worked all day on my feet? That I had done too much earlier and only rest 2 minutes between everything? Bench help please!

Hard to say mate - could be a mix of all factors - of course triceps play a huge role in any pressing movement and yes not getting enough rest/recovery will result in less than great workouts.

Keep smashing your triceps mate and it will have a great carry over to a better bench....and of course get your rest!

What are some good tricep isolation exercises?

Some good tricep exercises -

Close grip bench (adding boards if you have them)
Tricep pressdown (with straight bar or the ez bar)
Skullcrushers
rope pressdowns
band pressdowns
DB overhead press
Dips

These are some of the main exercises I will do....