• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Raw squatting as well, and how it changes with a belt and knee wraps
So much info out there on geared lifting, it would be nice to see good info on raw squats

Always include your bar weight mate, after all, you're lifting it too!

Only ever counted the weights hanging off the bar but now that you include it, it makes my bench look ok, ha ha.

Cheers for the write up guys, very much appreciated.

Do you think it's a good idea to train at bench slightly narrower than you otherwise would, and then widen your grip a few cm when in competition?

Do you think it's a good idea to train at bench slightly narrower than you otherwise would, and then widen your grip a few cm when in competition?

Sticky will answer this but my experience would be no because you are likely to be weaker if you just widen your grip for competition without training it.

A better way would be to train with your competition width grip and then add in close grip for assistance.

Widening your grip even a few CM will fuck your strength if you don't train is often

Train your comp grip. Close can be done as assistance but you need to be comfortable at comp width. Otherwise it'd be like training for cycling on a kids bike, the dynamics are all different.

Sticky will answer this but my experience would be no because you are likely to be weaker if you just widen your grip for competition without training it.

A better way would be to train with your competition width grip and then add in close grip for assistance.

100% this.

Train at comp grip. Add different grips as assistance.

Good for overload and getting a feel for heavier weigh, but Not a necessity.

If your going to go for a tool like that, get the slingshot.

I don't rate the ram/super ram at all.

For what it's worth, we have a slingshot, super ram and ram.
We have all used them, only one continues to do so.

Not really.

Same principal, but the bands are harder to get right.

Dave park does reverse bands when he trains with us, 260 kg for doubles kinda weight.

Can't do that with a slingshot, though he benched 220+ as it is.... It's not needed for mortals like us.

The slingshot looks like one of those things that would benefit shirted benchers and dudes with dodgy shoulders only
In fact it looks like it mimics how a shirt works almost completely

Lol, not at all man.

Would benefit equipped benchers, or those with lacking tricep strength, or those that need some confidence, but it's feels nothing like a shirt.

Lol, not at all man.

Would benefit equipped benchers, or those with lacking tricep strength, or those that need some confidence, but it's feels nothing like a shirt.

ok. I haven't used one so I was just guessing

I want to get into one. My bench has the most progress at the moment.

I'd love to eventually get into a shirt.......

.....hint hint Trentzor....

What are the main points regarding the wide grip and narrow grip?
What thing do you need to be aware of when contemplating the two, when would you want to use a narrow grip?

Thanks.