• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
This must be my problem, I just can't get an arch. When i bench at home I get a great arch because the bench is lower. Trent tried something on saturday and it worked, but I doubt that will hold in a comp. I can't even describe what he did.....

Can't or don't want to...

I think ive put plates under your feet last few sessions when we were on the higher bench. This should help u get that arch. Its common in alot of the girls who are shorter.

Fuck it. I don't think I am suited to wide grip bench.

I have started off with a few sessions of light and easy reps and I now have sore shoulders, elbows, biceps and wrists and I have never had any pain in those before. Had to end my bench session because of it. Pain killers are gonna be a big part of my diet today.

I fucking hate bench anyway so I think I'll just accept a few less kg and just slowly chip away at getting my closer grip bench stronger.

Fuck it. I don't think I am suited to wide grip bench.

I have started off with a few sessions of light and easy reps and I now have sore shoulders, elbows, biceps and wrists and I have never had any pain in those before. Had to end my bench session because of it. Pain killers are gonna be a big part of my diet today.

I fucking hate bench anyway so I think I'll just accept a few less kg and just slowly chip away at getting my closer grip bench stronger.

You were feeling pain during the exercise?

You were feeling pain during the exercise?

Shoulders had been getting worse last few weeks and just thought it may have been from footy, not that I hurt them at all. Did bench today and realised it was bench causing the problem, didn't feel very good at all. Now afterwards I am very sore.

So to answer you question, yes pain during the exercise.

Unless you compete in bench press I don't see any reason to not do close grip bench. Better to do one exercise than another + mobility exercises + prehab exercises imo
Konstantinovs uses a pretty close grip though

Unless you compete in bench press I don't see any reason to not do close grip bench. Better to do one exercise than another + mobility exercises + prehab exercises imo
Konstantinovs uses a pretty close grip though

I benched up to 165 in competition with a pretty close grip.

My right shoulder is giving me trouble, on top of a fractured femur.

What a disaster 2012 has been.

I had been putting my feet as far back as possible lately, but today I decided to move them a little bit forwards by a few inches. Leg drive was much much better and the weight flew up

Nice write up.

Strict form is something we must always be mindful of, no matter what the weight but especially when lifting heavy.

The bench press is one of those lifts every novice wants to see how much they max out on and it's also the place where many suffer shoulder injuries without even realising.

The correct position of your elbows, about 45deg inwards, during the eccentric and concentric parts of the lift plays a vital role in getting maximum power and drive from the chest and arms. Doing so also takes a huge load off the rotor cuff and the intricate supporting muscles that surround it (and often the muscles you've damaged inadvertently through poor bench press form) As a guide, if the bar is coming down to just under your chest, you're on the money. If the bar is coming down on your upper chest/neck area, you need to make some technique changes, fast.

Leg position is often overlooked as not important, when in fact, it is one of the most important parts to get right if you want to get the most out of the exercise - as a few have already mentioned after playing with leg position, it made noticeable improvements. Where you should have your legs has already been covered well by the OP but I will add this; it is highly recommended to spend some time playing with leg/feet position, because being able to get maximum amount of drive from your feet, up through your legs, has a compound effect through your whole bench press setup - right up to how much you can or cant lift. When you find the right foot position, and you have the rest of the setup squared away, you will know because what you were previously struggling with just became so much easier.

And if you bench press with your feet off the floor / knees to your chest, not only are you putting yourself at great risk of injury, you aren't getting anywhere near the benefit that this great exercise can bring using the correct technique.

I had been putting my feet as far back as possible lately, but today I decided to move them a little bit forwards by a few inches. Leg drive was much much better and the weight flew up

Since then ive gone back to putting my feet as far back as possible. My main problem is thorasic mobility. Sticky showed me how when i set up on bench i bridged to get a good arch but if i walked back while bridging i could get a better arch. He also got me to lay on a peice of 110mm pvc pipe on my upper back an i benched laying on that for my warm ups. Eventually got an arch he called "good" lol

Since correcting my Bench set up I've added 5kgs to my PB and I'm looking at getting close to 57.5kgs for one rep.
It's all in the set up!
Still gotta work on thoracic mobility.