• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Did you feel you ass coming off the bench, if so try to keep it planted

Yeah I was wondering about that when I watched the video but I'm pretty sure in the later sets my butt was on the bench. Hip did rise slightly but I'm fairly confident that they didn't lift off completely

I did a session of max grip width benching. Didn't feel too bad but I am about 10-15kg weaker with wide than close grip at the moment. The next day was pretty sore in the outer pec area. Will stick with it a few months and see what happens.

I did a session of max grip width benching. Didn't feel too bad but I am about 10-15kg weaker with wide than close grip at the moment. The next day was pretty sore in the outer pec area. Will stick with it a few months and see what happens.

Is it muscular soreness or in your tendons / muscle insertion points?

Is it muscular soreness or in your tendons / muscle insertion points?

Probably more insertion points.

Think i will use wide grip as a bench accessory exercise for higher reps / lower weight for a little while to give the body a chance to adapt unless anybody thinks that's a stupid idea.

Arse looks fine to me Oni (no homo), doesn't look like it comes off.
Id defiantly go wider until your forearms are at least vertical.
Also, you go up onto you traps to set the shoulders which is great, but then you loose all that tightness when you lower your arse down. You really need to concentrate and get the arch. Try and get your arse inches back before it lands on the bench.

Baz, Id either take weight off the bar, or move you hands out and inch in total every 4 sessions. Give your body a chance to adapt.

Like I said in the OP, experiment with caution. We don't want any blown shoulders just yet.

Last edited:

Baz, Id either take weight off the bar, or move you hands out and inch in total every 4 sessions. Give your body a chance to adapt.

Like I said in the OP, experiment with caution. We don't want any blown shoulders just yet.

Will take weight off bar. Shoulders feel fine, it's more the pec insertion area. Interestingly i get the odd rep that feels very strong and the rest feel awkward.

Make sure the shoulders are tight, and the bar path is straight with elbows in... Once you hit a few good ones, it will feel like a dream.

Ill try and get a vid in here of one of my lifters benching, he has now taken it to the next level.

Make sure the shoulders are tight, and the bar path is straight with elbows in... Once you hit a few good ones, it will feel like a dream.

Ill try and get a vid in here of one of my lifters benching, he has now taken it to the next level.

Thanks.

Elbows in is going to mean a lower touch on the chest, right?? Where should a raw lifter be aiming to touch.

I have no trouble tucking elbows in with close grip it's a bit more difficult with a wider grip.

You want to touch at a point where your wrists are slightly behind your elbows..

If it doesnt make sense, I can get vid up for you tonight

Also, you go up onto you traps to set the shoulders which is great, but then you loose all that tightness when you lower your arse down. You really need to concentrate and get the arch. Try and get your arse inches back before it lands on the bench.

Thanks man
I'll follow similar advice to bazza and inch it out slowly
I think I lack upper back mobility as well, meaning I can't arch it very well. What's a good upper back mobility exercise?

Thanks man
I'll follow similar advice to bazza and inch it out slowly
I think I lack upper back mobility as well, meaning I can't arch it very well. What's a good upper back mobility exercise?

One of the bench articles on ELITEFTS mentioned to start benching with a one of the half-foam rollers on the bench under your back. Once that is comfortable increase to a full foam roller.

Alright, I tried again today. Benched 10x3x70kg which is a pretty awesome volume PR for me at that intensity

Pretty much forced myself into a big arch until my middle back was cramping up lol. Seemed much stronger although I lost my tightness a few times, I think this is a muscular weakness more than a technique issue though so I'm going to hammer away at upper back and rear delt work for a while

I have a similar issue with my arc, just gets a bit of pain when I force it too much, I also Find it hard to plant my feet. My bench might be too high off the ground...?..??/?.?
./?.?

I know this may sound stupid but when you say you can bench 70kg is that 35kg of weights either side. Or is It 25kg of weights each side and then adding the weight of the bar(being roughly 20kg)

I have a similar issue with my arc, just gets a bit of pain when I force it too much, I also Find it hard to plant my feet. My bench might be too high off the ground...?..??/?.?
./?.?

Put plates under your feet.

This must be my problem, I just can't get an arch. When i bench at home I get a great arch because the bench is lower. Trent tried something on saturday and it worked, but I doubt that will hold in a comp. I can't even describe what he did.....