• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Good read, took in a lot. Bench would have to be my weakest lift so I'll definitely be trying to incorporate some of these points next week.

I has a question
I use bulldog grip for bench as I just lift more that way
However, because of this grip it is very hard to get elbow tuck. I bench more with this grip than normal grip + elbow tuck though. Do I need to change anything? Here is how I set up my grip:

EqHyt.jpg

jg1u5.jpg

oXaCE.jpg

J7OtA.jpg

Also, best way to increase thoracic mobility? It's not for benching but snatches but I may as well as here as well lol.

To be honest mate, I'm not familiar with the grip, it's not something I've used or seen used.

All the big benchers that I trained with only benched with a normal grip, they were dead against suicide grip too as you can't really pull the bar apart.

Last edited:
Great writeup Scott.
Bench is by far my weakness, I always have trouble keeping shoulder blades tucked as I unrack the bar, they seem to just go flat as soon as get it off the rack.

Apart from the suicide grip not giving u enough grip.
I have seen a guy crack his ribs with a suicide grip before when it slipped out as he was failing at a commercial gym on a incline bench press.

Apart from the suicide grip not giving u enough grip.
I have seen a guy crack his ribs with a suicide grip before when it slipped out as he was failing at a commercial gym on a incline bench press.

Got rid of the gloves and the suicide grip back in August last year...

Took me a while of discomfort to get used to a proper grip... But it quickly passed... And my strength improved behind it...

Best thing I ever did... Can't remember what the exact catylst was for making the change... Read or saw something somewhere around the web that suggested anyone using suicide grip was stupid with gnarly shots of people dropping the bar...

btw im not using suicide grip, my thumbs are around the bar lol (don't want to kill myself) I just internally rotate my shoulders a bit and it gives a much stronger pressing position (for me) and my wrists don't hurt

What are your thoughts on using wrist wraps Scott? I've sustained and injury listening to my ego while doing cleans. I am paranoid about hurting my wrist again and would like extra price of mind for pulling and pushing.

What are your thoughts on using wrist wraps Scott? I've sustained and injury listening to my ego while doing cleans. I am paranoid about hurting my wrist again and would like extra price of mind for pulling and pushing.

Wrist wraps are useful, especially at heavy weights, but shouldn't be overused, i.e. don't wrap up for warm-ups (like me :(). With benching being a far less dynamic movement that cleans the risk of wrist injury is very much reduced so don't let the paranoia get the better of you...

Get good cheap wrist wraps from Underground Elite.

I don't really like using wraps. I find them distracting in a way. Main thing is just to keep your wrists straight and avoid the "gay wrist"..

nice write up!. Apart from the technical side of the actual lift, do you have reccomendations of how to increase your bench press, weather it be stuck at the bottom/middle/top been stuck at 85kgs 1RM at 60kgs bw for months now

Great write up.
Perhaps it's worth adding some good warmups / mobility drills that suit a benching session?
Or some ideas on assistance / accessory movements to improve your bench?

nice write up!. Apart from the technical side of the actual lift, do you have reccomendations of how to increase your bench press, weather it be stuck at the bottom/middle/top been stuck at 85kgs 1RM at 60kgs bw for months now

Bench more, eat more.

DB pressing is excellent for off the chest strength IMO. Band work is great for lockout strength but a bit unnecessary at your level. Just bench more with focus on speed.

Great write up.
Perhaps it's worth adding some good warmups / mobility drills that suit a benching session?
Or some ideas on assistance / accessory movements to improve your bench?

Mine includes:
Stretch chest, lats, shoulders, tris.
Trigger point or foam roll areas as well.
Band dislocations.
Band pullaparts.

For assistance I recommend:
DB pressing (off the chest strength)
Dips
Banded bench press (lockout work)
Mil press
Lots of extra tri work
Lots of upper back work

But for a beginner/intermediate lifter lots of benching and some extra tri work will probably be all they need.

Last edited: