• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I can lower the bar to my chest on warm up sets, but as soon as the weight gets heavy, I feel a lot of strain/stretch in my front delt area. The strain feels like its in the joint directly above my armpits.

Same feeling when I lower myself real deep when doing dips. It doesn't feel like my delts are being worked, but more like they're being torn apart, and I have very little power pushing out from that position. I stopped doing dips because of the discomfort.

Just pulling my elbows back, I can see that I can't really pull it far enough for my fists to be in line with my chest.

Should I forget about touching the bar to my chest and stop a bit above to save my shoulders? Or is there something I can do to improve my shoulder mobility?

I can lower the bar to my chest on warm up sets, but as soon as the weight gets heavy, I feel a lot of strain/stretch in my front delt area. The strain feels like its in the joint directly above my armpits.

Same feeling when I lower myself real deep when doing dips. It doesn't feel like my delts are being worked, but more like they're being torn apart, and I have very little power pushing out from that position. I stopped doing dips because of the discomfort.

Just pulling my elbows back, I can see that I can't really pull it far enough for my fists to be in line with my chest.

Should I forget about touching the bar to my chest and stop a bit above to save my shoulders? Or is there something I can do to improve my shoulder mobility?

Fix your damn shoulder mobility. Stretch dammit!

as mentioned above, sounds like you are aiming to touch the bar too high on your chest.

should be lowering the bar to your lower chest/nipple area

hee hee nipple..

if it still hurts trying to touch the bar that low then you have shoulder mobility issues.

i have a bulging disc at L5-S1 so i'm doing minimal lower body work, but i still want to work on my press. the problem is, as i'm progressing, making noob gains and getting closer to my limits it's starting to hurt.

I'm guessing that i'm arching my back, putting my hips into a pretty large anterior rotation and taking some of the load on my glutes which is irritating my nerve.

any suggestions? for the time being i've stopped pressing, but i'm looking for solutions as my "weights" sessions have dwindled to heaps of stretching and pilates type exercises, light squats (ROM only, really) and the bench press. i had progressed to 90kg, then i backed off to high volume at lower weight (5x 8x 60kg) but it still hurting, hence i stopped :\

Last edited:
as mentioned above, sounds like you are aiming to touch the bar too high on your chest.

Nope, I touch it just below the nipple.

My shoulders aren't very flexible. I have trouble pointing my elbows out for OHP and I can barely position the bar on my delts for a front squat.

Nope, I touch it just below the nipple.

My shoulders aren't very flexible. I have trouble pointing my elbows out for OHP and I can barely position the bar on my delts for a front squat.

I touch the bottom of my sternum/ top ab.......

Get a vid up mate.

We cant really help you until we see where your going wrong.

Bar must hit no lower than the sternum.

I think that is being reviewed however. As GPC has now gone multiply, it will probably be ammened to touch lower as a result.

Is the belly benching only going to be for equipped lifting, or does it apply equally to raw?

If so, I'm eating more pudding.

Legal bench

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rSrFdq9P0&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Barbell Glute Bridge 495 lbs for 6 reps - YouTube[/ame]