• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best piece of advice for a competing newb.

kaz

iLift
First comp is coming, what advice have you got for newbs in the sport?
Socks, soft suit, flat shoes, wraps. Have been training super hard!

So how do you survive your first PL competition?

Last edited:
Shit my fucking pants.

Pick an easy opener, something you can triple, and be confident.

The rest has already been taken care of.... I'd hope ;)

An opener you can do on your worst day, a second you've done in training, balls to the wall for your third.

Don't cut weight for your first comp.

Starburst snakes are your friend.

Shit my fucking pants.
so pack a spare soft suit? Lol

An opener you can do on your worst day, a second you've done in training, balls to the wall for your third.

Don't cut weight for your first comp.

Starburst snakes are your friend.
Starburst = win!

I've eaten too much over Easter.... should drop with healthier eating choices!
Do energy drinks have a place or will they make you crash later in the comp?

dont get too revved up, thinking clearly will help you more.

yeah easy openers, first comp is basically getting numbers up so you have something to beat next time, and getting a feel for how shit runs

All I can think about at the moment is not squatting deep enough, or pausing on the bench.
When i train ATM I'm putting the prompts in my head. I only see Trent fortnightly and that's alot to cram in one session!

so pack a spare soft suit? Lol

Starburst = win!

I've eaten too much over Easter.... should drop with healthier eating choices!
Do energy drinks have a place or will they make you crash later in the comp?

I'd avoid carbonated energy drinks because they'll bloat you. Try NoDoze instead.

Bahaha sabotaged!
Are you boys in the same class?
we never competed together, his ego got him when i passed him on squats and he broke himself trying to do 120 for a triple after i did it (this was not long after i first went to minh) and he stopped lifting. he was at a few of my comps, but only helping me out with numbers for warmups n shit.

Keep calm, remember your technique & trust in yourself and commit.

The first comp shouldn't be very serious it should be there just to get a good base and get a feel for the comp enviroment.

What's wrong with cutting weight for your first comp?
Is it just in case you fuck it up?

A number of reasons.....

The ONLY reason to cut weight for a comp is to break records.
9/10 records should be the LAST thing a new lifter needs on their mind.

Cutting weight and recovering properly to preform at your best is not an easy feat, especially if you don't have 24 hour weigh in or a strong mind to eat like you weight 500lb.

If you dont recover properly, cutting weight will hurt your bench, squat will be down, but in my experience, deadlift stays relatively unaffected.

A new lifter should just be focused on:
Not being nervous.
Waiting for all the calls.
Getting a feel for comp atmosphere
Blocking out any differences in what your used to in regards to the venue.
Meeting new people
Having fun.

A number of reasons.....

The ONLY reason to cut weight for a comp is to break records.
9/10 records should be the LAST thing a new lifter needs on their mind.

Cutting weight and recovering properly to preform at your best is not an easy feat, especially if you don't have 24 hour weigh in or a strong mind to eat like you weight 500lb.

If you dont recover properly, cutting weight will hurt your bench, squat will be down, but in my experience, deadlift stays relatively unaffected.

A new lifter should just be focused on:
Not being nervous.
Waiting for all the calls.
Getting a feel for comp atmosphere
Blocking out any differences in what your used to in regards to the venue.
Meeting new people
Having fun.

The point about records makes perfect sense. I think I'll be cutting weight but I'll do it over the very long term (months) and won't try to manipulate water. I'm gonna aim to be a lean 65kg or so but I suck at diet lol so I'm probably going to buy a dietician or something

The point about records makes perfect sense. I think I'll be cutting weight but I'll do it over the very long term (months) and won't try to manipulate water. I'm gonna aim to be a lean 65kg or so but I suck at diet lol so I'm probably going to buy a dietician or something

Yeah, Im not talking about cutting BF% over a few months, Im talking about water weight a day or so before comps.

I thought you were trying to put on weight?

I've only done one novice comp but I'd say LISTEN to the calls. Don't be hasty :)

This might help some as well.....

Issue 4

With the GPC Australia QLD state champs just around the bend, this newsletter will be aimed towards the newer lifters to the sport.
First of all, well done on stepping up to the plate, and getting your lifts passed (hopefully) in front of the judges. Powerlifting is an awesome sport and I'm sure you will find that everybody will be very friendly and supportive, no matter what level your lifting is at. We are all there to have an awesome day, learn from other lifters, learn whats involved in comps and to have a bit of fun.
First of all, your going to need to make sure you have the following few things in your gym bag before leave home for the comp.
- Soft suit
- Knee high socks (footy socks are fine)
- Flat shoes
- Knee wraps/sleeves if you choose to wear them
- SUBWAY COOKIES! Well that's my choice for comp food anyway. The comp should go for around 3-4 hours, so you may want to bring some lollies or some small pieces of fruit to nibble on.
Plenty of chalk will be at the comp, so no need to worry about that. I'll also have a big role of duct tape for those who forget their socks...... Please, somebody steal Steves socks, I want to see those legs taped up!
THATS IT!

As far as warming up goes, you want to work up to around 90% of your opening lift.
Make sure you warm up at the appropriate times according to when you are lifting. You want your last warm up rep to be about 5-10mins before you hit the platform. Talk to a few of the lifters, and if you find that some re opening on similar weights, work in with them.

How to pick your opening weight?
I pick my openers for all my novice lifters, and it is usually something that they can triple, especially if it is their first comp.
You don't want to make your opening lift to heavy, if you miss it, it will put un-nessercery pressure on you and make you much more nervous than you already are.
It doesn't matter what you open on, only what you finish on, remember that.

You will find that the more experienced lifters will open on much more than they can triple, in some cases only 5kg off a PB. The thing for novice lifters to keep in mind though, these guys are experienced. They have done a number of comps, and know their bodies and limits very well.
For first time lifters, this comp is about getting a feel for the comp atmosphere, meeting other athletes, posting a total, learning how comps are run and how you should prepare and having the confidence to actually get up there and have a lift.
I know I've run though all the rules and commands with most of you a bit over the last few weeks, but I guarantee somebody will stuff them up... As long as you only do it once, and learn from your mistakes, I wont make you push the prowler around.
Here are a few of the common mistakes people make at their first comp, so take notice.

Squat-
Not waiting for the squat call
Not making depth - Crease of hip MUST be below top of knee.
Not waiting for the rack call
Bench-
Not holding the bar motionless on the chest
Not waiting for the press call
Allowing your arse to lift off the bench
Moving your feet during the lift
Not waiting for the rack call
Deadlift-
Hitching or using your quads as leverage
Not waiting for the down call
Not maintaining control of the bar while returning it to the floor
I know it looks like a bit, but it's really simple and I'm sure you will all be fine.
The only other advice I really want to push to you is to approach the bar KNOWING that weight is going to be lifted, well.
If you approach the bar with ANY doubt at all, you've already lost the battle......
Watch Alex Z lift, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Victoria is having their states 1 week before ours, so there will be records in some of the classes. Make sure you have a look, you may be within reach of some!
Good luck everybody, Ill see you on the 31st.

Until then, stay strong,
Scott Wasson

PTC Brisbane - Issue 4