• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best piece of advice for a competing newb.

I thought you were trying to put on weight?

I've only done one novice comp but I'd say LISTEN to the calls. Don't be hasty :)

I want to break one of the deadlifting records in the 66kg class so would be doing more of a body recomp thing. Thanks for the advice

Now I've completed my first comp, there's a few things I wasn't prepared for or didn't prepare well enough.

When you think you have enough snacks, buy more!
Stretching and mobility super important the week prior, my legs were stuffed after squat warmups as I only did gentle and usual foam roller work. Don't rely on all your usual mobility/warm up equipment to be at the venue, take anything you may use at home like powerbands and tennis balls.
Long pants/jumper or jacket to keep the body warm after warm up while waiting for lifts.
Learn to wrap knees.

Now I've completed my first comp, there's a few things I wasn't prepared for or didn't prepare well enough.

When you think you have enough snacks, buy more!
Stretching and mobility super important the week prior, my legs were stuffed after squat warmups as I only did gentle and usual foam roller work. Don't rely on all your usual mobility/warm up equipment to be at the venue, take anything you may use at home like powerbands and tennis balls.
Long pants/jumper or jacket to keep the body warm after warm up while waiting for lifts.
Learn to wrap knees.

And remembering to wait for the rack call when benching...;)

Also I now see why bags of lollies where being consumed...

And remembering to wait for the rack call when benching...;)

Also I now see why bags of lollies where being consumed...

That rack call gets me every time!

Lollies consumed because the 50 Choc chip cookies I baked went in an hour!:cool:

talk to the other competitiors. listen to their advice,
eat bananas
Easy opener u can triple, 2nd lift go for one u know u can do, 3rd try something. depending on feel of 2nd lift.
listen to the judges and dont stuff around and hold people up.

HAVE FUN!!! laugh, dont get to serious.