• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

topic of the week -What Is The Optimal Time Between Sets For Muscle Growth?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What Is The Optimal Time Between Sets For Muscle Growth?

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that the more rest you take between sets, the more weight you’ll be able to lift when you do come back. This doesn’t mean that you should always take more rest between your sets… the right amount of rest for you will depend on your goals somewhat.

How long should you wait between sets? Should a person spend only a few seconds between sets resting to fully work the muscle and increase the "burn",

or should a person wait longer allowing the muscles to fully recover from the set?

Which way is best ? Should a person change the rest time or follow the proven method ?

I rest 5 mins in between high volume and heavy lifts, and 60 seconds in between assistance exercises.

I rest between 1min and 5min, depending on what I'm doing. Usually around 1.5 to 3min mostly. Never more than 5min unless I'm going for a new 1rm.

for muscle growth i'd probably say just enough time to catch your breath, 45 seconds to a minute

I rest a minute to a couple of minutes between my heaviest sets I guess. Certainly when my arms feel like they require amputating, maybe longer? lol

As with most things, vary the rest times between sets, don't always rest 5 min or 1 min, mix it up to give your muscles a new stimulus and a reason to grow, do 2 or 3 months with short rest periods then another 3 or so months with longer rest periods.
This applies to your routine in general.

Different goals different rest times.

Myofibrilar hypertrophy = heavy weight, low reps = enough rest to sufficiently recover for the next set, anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes for clock watchers or going by feel, when your heart rate steadies.

Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy = moderate weight, moderate reps = short rests, keeping the pump, anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for clock watchers and and by going by feel as long as the pump/heart rate is still up.

i like 45 secs to a minute. the addition of my ***boss has made my workout more intense and fun.