• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intensity of work and the methods.

I'm not really sure buddy.

But in my own experience negative training is very demanding and if I used it too much my intensity of work suffered as did my progression.

If and when I use negatives it's normally at the end of a set and used sparingly.
For someone who cannot perform a chinup on their own, negatives have been quite successful.

i don't mean the negatives you posted here where the postive is done assisted. I mean slowing down the negatives quite a bit, then exploding up the positives without assistance.

I think intensity has different meaning to some.

What I'm talking about is intensity of "work".
Performing a limited number of exercises, maximum weight, using perfect form, going to MMF and quickly moving to the next exercise and maintaining that pace and momentum.

i don't mean the negatives you posted here where the postive is done assisted. I mean slowing down the negatives quite a bit, then exploding up the positives without assistance.

Push the weight up as fast as you can, pause to ensure you are not using momentum then lower the weight twice as slow as was lifted, each rep identical cadence to the next, you keep doing this until you cannot move the weight, lower it, do another, lower it, try again, hold it as long as you can, put it down, then go straight to the next exercise and do the same.

I beleive just slowing down the negative ensures you have the rep under control and that there is no momentum being used.

50′s Day

Same as above only this time you have to complete FIFTY reps. Oh, By the way! A women I know does this with out a pause also. Who says Women are the weaker?

100′s day

Never done it. Have heard that some have. Same as above only 100 reps.
Call in to work and tell them you won’t be in for a while*

Forced reps

Similar to a breakdown set except the weight is not changed.

At failure your partner supplies enough help for you to complete three or four more reps.

This technique has been around as long as dirt

Push the weight up as fast as you can, pause to ensure you are not using momentum then lower the weight twice as slow as was lifted, each rep identical cadence to the next, you keep doing this until you cannot move the weight, lower it, do another, lower it, try again, hold it as long as you can, put it down, then go straight to the next exercise and do the same.

I beleive just slowing down the negative ensures you have the rep under control and that there is no momentum being used.

I do this all the time ... and get enough help on the uplift on the last couple of reps to help me complete the set. I really like this approach.
Except I keep yelling "no, no, don't help me" which is stupid.

Slow training

“Super Slow” training is a very effective protocol and it’s not easy. If you have an opportunity to learn from a certified Super Slow Trainer, do it. Check with the Super Slow Exercise Guild under Ken Hutchins. Their website can explain the details. There are many.

I've been doin the slow down, fast up with BP and I'm finding it's helped ten fold. I've also applied it to a few different areas and I'm looking forward to taking it further.

I forgot about this, I have more.

1 ¼’s

In each rep pause at the contracted position and then lower it a quarter of the way down. Then all the way back up to full contraction before lowering to start position. This is one rep. Do each rep like this.

Progressions

Do one rep and take a full deep breath.
Then do two reps followed by a full deep breath.
Then do three reps followed by a full deep breath.
Then do four reps following the same breathing format.
Then five reps.
Then six reps all using a pause with a full deep breath.
You can also start with six reps and go to one.
I guess you could call this “Regressions” but the same people that get their shorts in a knot over the term “Failure” would probably get in a hissie over this term also.
Oh, please get a life. :)

Matrixes (at least I think that's what they're called, it's been about 3-4 years since I've given a damn).

The nuts and bolts of a matrix is that you pause mid-rep. It could be just once, it could be several times. It could be only on the concentric, only on the eccentric, or on both. But you start the movement, you pause at the planned point for a planned duration, and then you continue moving through the remainder of the rep. As an example, you might opt for a 4 sec pause at the 90 degree mark on both the eccentric and concentric portion of a full squat, so you'd lower down to 90, pause for 4, lower down to the bottom of the squat, drive back up, pause for 4 at 90 again, and then drive up to the top.

Three consecutive sets followed by a 30 second rest between sets. After the first set, 5 kg are added for the upper body exercises and 10kg for the lower. For the third set remove the added weights.