• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
my hook grip sucks
why hold back my shrug progress by using a grip that doesn't allow me to hold onto max weights?
.... i cant use hook grip coz my grip sucks, so ill use straps to make my grip worse.

seems legit.

Wanna learn how to shrug? First, let's go over what shrugging is NOT:
Anything under 4 plates on a side. Shrugging with 315 is not shrugging- it's some form of odd public masturbation.
Anything wherein your goal is reps, rather than weight. No one gives a fuck that you did 43 reps with 225. You're a fucking pussy. Go join a Bally's and buy all of your workout gear at International Male.
A movement wherein you ROLL YOUR FUCKING SHOULDERS. Sweet mother of fuck, why in the hell would you do this? Complete development? Yeah. Sure. My cock has better development, and my infraspinatus is still intact. You're a pussy if you roll your shoulders.

So, what IS shrugging?
Heavy ass weight. I work up to 10 plates on a side regularly for singles. I've got surgery for my 60% tear in my tricep and my halved bone spur on Tuesday, and yet I did 15 sets of 3 with 7 plates on a side today. That's fucking shrugging.
No reps over 5. If you're doing more than 5 reps, you're doing the wrong fucking exercise. Add weight, or refer to #2 in the preceding section.
Brutal, painful, and soul-crushing. It should not be something you can do while holding a conversation about Brangelina's newest addition to their brown baby collection.

Yeah lmao!!! singles for shrugs!!! who does them???
oh yeah, strong people with massive traps and national records in the deadlift

Wanna learn how to shrug? First, let's go over what shrugging is NOT:
Anything under 4 plates on a side. Shrugging with 315 is not shrugging- it's some form of odd public masturbation.
Anything wherein your goal is reps, rather than weight. No one gives a fuck that you did 43 reps with 225. You're a fucking pussy. Go join a Bally's and buy all of your workout gear at International Male.
A movement wherein you ROLL YOUR FUCKING SHOULDERS. Sweet mother of fuck, why in the hell would you do this? Complete development? Yeah. Sure. My cock has better development, and my infraspinatus is still intact. You're a pussy if you roll your shoulders.

So, what IS shrugging?
Heavy ass weight. I work up to 10 plates on a side regularly for singles. I've got surgery for my 60% tear in my tricep and my halved bone spur on Tuesday, and yet I did 15 sets of 3 with 7 plates on a side today. That's fucking shrugging.
No reps over 5. If you're doing more than 5 reps, you're doing the wrong fucking exercise. Add weight, or refer to #2 in the preceding section.
Brutal, painful, and soul-crushing. It should not be something you can do while holding a conversation about Brangelina's newest addition to their brown baby collection.
so you want to do singles because some fuck head said your a pussy if you do more then 5 reps?

jez, i wish u did what we tell you to do when we call u a pussy.... u might actually get somewhere.

Why are we even talking about shrugs? yea they are ok with helping your deadlift but by far the best exercise to help increase it..

Yea do them...if do a mix of heavy and high rep shurgs...nothing below 5 reps tho coz its pointless its not a max effort exercise...

Yes, Jamie Lewis. Google him

You're deluded if you think being strong in the shrug won't improve your deadlift. If you shrug 150% of your deadlift, what do you think a deadlift 1RM will feel like?

Thats one dude outa 1000's of good deadlifters lol

Yeah lmao!!! singles for shrugs!!! who does them???
oh yeah, strong people with massive traps and national records in the deadlift

good job, one person said 1 reps on shrugs. Others will say 20 reps on shrugs.

Face it oni, 1 reps is not best for hypertrophy. 8-12 is, so stfu and stop loading up 180 on the bar for your ego and actually put some work in.

all you do is find a quote one guy said and then you think you have proven your point.

So I guess by conventional wisdom I can either:

> Use mixed grip for shrugs and tear a bicep
> hold back my shrugging until my hook grip catches up

and that

> Using straps for an exercise that trains my traps, not my grip is bad
> Doing dedicated grip work is bad and I should feel bad