• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just a strength poll from another thread

How many lift have you reach in aprox one year? (half the number for women)

• Total voters
what do you do for a job? :)

yeah, personally i prefer slow constant gains rather then fast and inconsistent gains, also less chance of injury if you dont try to force things. :)

I make door,windows,kitchens:)
Doors and windows are getting bigger(thanks to architects:)) from when i started so plenty of heavy stuff for me to lift during the day.
I hurt my back last year, still haven't recovered 100% so i learned my lesson there.

I was the opposite when i first started, wouldnt let me use any plates on my deadlifts because i had a rounded back. Trainer banned me from deadlifts rather than teaching a straight back.

So I got rid of him, figured it out myself and 9 months of linear progession later was at the figures mentioned here.

when i started lifting i had just turned 15 (3 months earlier) and dl 130 on the first night and had a stab at 140 but failed it. u would think fully grown blokes would be able to do at least 1 plate....

but saying that i had done a lot of laboring for my dad, brickwork, concreting, digging, different types of carpentry etc.

150 on the first time deadlifting is freaky! lol good work
The physical labour would probably have a lot to do with it (or maybe you were just born awesome?). The average child these days is discouraged from doing anything that resembles hard physical labour, and grows up to get a desk job where they further avoid hard physical labour. For them (and this becomes truer the older they get, as I've observed), even getting into a half-decent set-up for a deadlift (or any bent over movement) tends to take a lot of coaching. Most of them have never lifted anything more than 20kg without help in their lives and have no concept of bending at the hips.

<><><>

A lot of the people here seem to have really good starting points to begin with and have demonstrated in this thread an apparent inability to comprehend that anyone has a worse starting point than them, will need more work just to get competent in the movements they're doing, and even with good coaching, good form and a good diet and exercise program will have a much harder time obtaining the numbers listed in this thread. I have a lot of respect for the physical capabilities of a lot of the people in here, but some of the attitudes seem rather arrogant. "If I can deadlift 200kg after a couple months training, why can't you?" Maybe because most human beings aren't you.

The physical labour would probably have a lot to do with it (or maybe you were just born awesome?). The average child these days is discouraged from doing anything that resembles hard physical labour, and grows up to get a desk job where they further avoid hard physical labour. For them (and this becomes truer the older they get, as I've observed), even getting into a half-decent set-up for a deadlift (or any bent over movement) tends to take a lot of coaching. Most of them have never lifted anything more than 20kg without help in their lives and have no concept of bending at the hips.

<><><>

A lot of the people here seem to have really good starting points to begin with and have demonstrated in this thread an apparent inability to comprehend that anyone has a worse starting point than them, will need more work just to get competent in the movements they're doing, and even with good coaching, good form and a good diet and exercise program will have a much harder time obtaining the numbers listed in this thread. I have a lot of respect for the physical capabilities of a lot of the people in here, but some of the attitudes seem rather arrogant. "If I can deadlift 200kg after a couple months training, why can't you?" Maybe because most human beings aren't you.
LOL

yeah everyone varies... different levers, flexibility, weight/height ratio, weaknesses etc.

you cant slap down a number and say everyone can do it.
what? your 70? bench 100 in 12 months.... what? your young and are still growing? u will bench 100 in 12 months.

Haha, that just reminded me of this great picture...

Attachments

• baby_exercises.jpg
    baby_exercises.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 21
Haha, that just reminded me of this great picture...

This one can
KrehbielBabyDaphneBarbell.jpg

Stop making excuses.

We arent talking about a 3 plate bench or 5 plate pull.

We are talking about a 100kg bench here. Its not heavy.

Levers dont mean shit yet.

Re-asses your training or stay weak. The option is yours.

Also, RyanF, I was 69kg at just over 6ft tall, have a wing span of 192cm and have the wrists of a 9yo girl when I started lifting.
Not many people on this forum are worse of, least of all Callan.

I made the numbers fine. Self taught, no coach.

Last edited:
Sticky, I just measured my wing span out of curiosity. It was 194cm.
My height is 190
Does that mean I'm a gorilla? :p

Last edited:
Means you should end up with a solid deadlift!

Still, Its not an excuse for not getting a 2 plate bench if you take your training seriously.

I got curious and measured mine as well, Mine was 198cm, I'm 6'4 (193cm)
I benched 100 after 2 months...but I am a big bugga lol

You're same sorta height as me Dicko but carrying an extra 30kg :p

I know it's bloody ridiculous, I've been on defecit for 5 weeks and I put on a kilo...up to 119...WTF?
I'm thinking I'll just eat maintanence and try to concetrate more on lifting...hopefully the weight gained is mostly muscle:)

Stop making excuses.

Also, RyanF, I was 69kg at just over 6ft tall, have a wing span of 192cm and have the wrists of a 9yo girl when I started lifting.

Spot on sticky.
Sure these are just a numbers plucked out of the air but they are very reasonable. 100kg bench is not high and no matter what your levers and every other shit excuse people want to put up it should be easily achieved with hard training.

Also LOL at all you short arm blokes, talk to me when your wing span is over 2m.

Spot on sticky.
Sure these are just a numbers plucked out of the air but they are very reasonable. 100kg bench is not high and no matter what your levers and every other shit excuse people want to put up it should be easily achieved with hard training.

Also LOL at all you short arm blokes, talk to me when your wing span is over 2m.

Hey, don't have a go at short arm blokes:)
I'm 168 with a wingspan of 177cm:p

i can't believe guys who have been lifting for 2-3 years still can't make all 3/3.

Stop making excuses.

I haven't made a single excuse on my own behalf, I've only discussed why, in my observations, the standards in this thread are biting off more than a lot of people can chew.

But if we're going to make this about me, from September 2010 (after enough of a lay-off from training to put me back at rank novice level, spare for having a better idea of how to do the movements) to September 2011, I did Madcow's/Starr-based 5x5, SS with pull ups as assistance and the Texas Method. I ate enough to go from 62kg to 77kg over that 12 month period. My squats went from an awkward 3x5x50kg to 1x5x117.5kg, which would have landed my 1RM in the 130-140kg region. That was with prior back and ankle injuries, and managing to injure one knee and both hips in that time frame.

My bench press went from an awkward 3x3x50kg to 3x5x75kg, which would have put my 1RM around 85-90kg -- still a bit shy of 100kg, but not drastically so, and this was with a wrist injury and two dodgey shoulders. I didn't start DLing again until Dec 2010, at which stage I began with 5x5x60kg. In May of 2011 I deadlifted 1x5x120kg and 1x140kg, in August or September I pulled 5x137.5kg, so based on May's lifts I'd guess I could have gotten a 1RM around 150-165kg, about 15-30kg shy of 180kg. I ended up a little behind the target numbers here, but not drastically so, and anyone who seriously feels the need to mock my results in that time frame is only confirming in my mind that their IQ is less than my bench press.

I didn't quite make it to 100/140/180, I don't care. As I said before, the points I've been making in this thread are not to justify my own results.

My post want directed just at you, it's at everybody that trains for strength and can't hit those numbers.

all i have to say is that every lifter is different.
not all training styles will work for that person, so why should these numbers be applied to lifters training for strength?

tomorrow i will have been training under minhs coaching for 12 months on the dot and lifts are at 170/90/192.5 (squat isnt comp passes, but it was good enough as a gym lift).
so if these numbers actually have any value, why isnt the squat number higher? because all lifters are different.

but for someone to say that if a lifter cant get all of those numbers in 12 months you are doing something wrong or should sack their coach is just plain arrogance, and ignorant to the fact that all lifters are different in both weaknesses and strengths.