• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic vs Standard barbell

They are cheap I picked up a heap of standard plates (about 300 kilos from memory) for $350, good thing is if I sell them I will get my money back, so I am using them for free. Bought a new bar for $55, and it's doing well at 180kg dead lifts.

So all in all a cheap home set up that can be used.

I have used oly plates and bars at Sydney PTC and they are nice, it's really up to how much you can/want to spend.

If you can afford it go oly, otherwise use what you have till you outgrow it and by then you might want to upgrade anyway.

Check ebay and the like, a mate of mine is just starting out he picked up a lifting cage, bench and 300kg of plates and bars (standard) for $400, cheap start, and he will always get his money back if he decides to upgrade in a year or two

Why waste cash. Buy oly stuff from the start so your not replacing hundreds of kgs of weights in a year or two.

150kg worth of rubber coated plates is $300 vs $600 in bumper plates :(

Bloody bumpers are impossible to find second hand, been scouring the net & newspaper classifieds for months and am yet to see any second hand bumpers. Get em for your home setup wingman or you'll be like me regretting it in 6 months.

Just to add to what big Mick has said....

I am a tight-arse, I look for bargains like a mofo. I have well over 200kg of standard weights, bench, 2 barbells, ezbar, 2 sets of bells, lat pull down, chin up bar, bands, + more...

I have spent under $200, I reckon I could double my money EASILY.

It's not a waste of money. It's more like an investment that you can sell any time you want to upgrade.

Go oly straight away mate, you will outgrow the standard stuff and bend the shit outta the bars, they take abuse but as stated they will bend. IMO there is no need to shell out for bumpers unless your going to be dropping the plates from overhead. Shop around and find some bargains mate, shops clear their stuff out cheap when changing brands and there is heaps of cheap gear on gumtree, ebay etc.

Really? Was trying to justify the cost difference. Still need to buy furniture and whitegoods for my new place lol.

You got the bug mate your spending 3k on raising the ceiling so you can overhead. Just stack the bumper plates up and have people sit on them when they come over. Problem solved

I have standard old Samson plates and an 8kg standard bb. Will be ordering Iron Edge’s econ bumper plates in a matter of days. Cannot wait.

I dont mind my Samson stuff and will keep it as spare, but the biggest plate I have is 20lbs (9kgs). So I’m loading 10 plates at the moment for what I could be doing in 4 plates when I get the IE stuff...