• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Setting up gym - opinions on this Gym Direct gear

funks

[FONT=&quot]Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting the below gear from Gym Direct to set up a home gym. What are your thoughts on quality, value for money etc? I am waiting on a quote from The Hulk but I assume there will be a discount or package price he may be able to do on this so the overall price should come down.

HPRSP Commercial Power Rack - with dip attachment - $1,315. http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/HPRSP-Commercial-Power-Rack/355.htm [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ASFID Super FID Bench - $345 http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/ASFID-Super-FID-Bench/467.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Muscle Motion 150kg Bumper Weights set - $749 http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Muscle-Motion-150kg-Bumper-Weights-set/824.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Olympic Super Curl Bar Bonus Screw Collars - $80 http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Olympic-Super-Curl-Bar--Bonus-Screw-Collars/75.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]220cm Olympic Barbell (1500lbs) - $175 http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell-(1500lbs)/288.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Total $2,664 - before discount and before shipping.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Funks
[/FONT]

I've got the same bench that you linked. I've never had any problems with it. I can recommend it.

The Rack=Awesome
The Bumpers=Awesome
The Bench= OK, I would go the flat commercial (oh yeh I did LOL :p)

Everything else sucks arse

Rack is awesome.

I wouldn't get the MM bumpers. The 25s, 20s and 15kg plates are all 6.5cm thick which is way to fat.

The bar is absolutely crap. If you have the money get a Texas power bar.

I second the Texas power bar.....love mine

Sheez I didn't realize the bumpers were so thick....that's crap

I second the Texas power bar.....love mine

Sheez I didn't realize the bumpers were so thick....that's crap

For his first set of bumpers, the thickness would be fine. He isn't going to fill the barbell up.

Then as he gets stronger / richer, he can invest in some thinner 25's and keeping using the rest.

I was thinking about getting a better bar but figured I should spend the money on the better rack and look to get a better bar later.

If I was to get the Texas power bar I'd probably have to forget about the commercial rack and just get this one instead. Would you guys think that's the better way to go or invest in the rack now and upgrade bar later? KeepIng in mind the rack won't get upgraded once I have it.

MMPR Power Rack

I don't think there's much you'll do with the commercial one that you won't do with the mmpr

For his first set of bumpers, the thickness would be fine. He isn't going to fill the barbell up.

Then as he gets stronger / richer, he can invest in some thinner 25's and keeping using the rest.

Yeah that what I thought when I got my first set of plates and it's going to cost me a shit load more now to get thinner plates. Should have just got the proper stuff from the start.

If your serious about lifting buy quality once then your not forever replacing sub standard shit.

6.5cm for 15kg plate won't take you long to fill up a bar.

If I had to replace all my plates I would get a shit load of 20s and then 2x10kg, 5kg, 2.5kg, 1.25kg. Makes it simple, 25s and 15s are a pain in the arse.

Yeah that what I thought when I got my first set of plates and it's going to cost me a shit load more now to get thinner plates. Should have just got the proper stuff from the start.

If your serious about lifting buy quality once then your not forever replacing sub standard shit.

6.5cm for 15kg plate won't take you long to fill up a bar.

If I had to replace all my plates I would get a shit load of 20s and then 2x10kg, 5kg, 2.5kg, 1.25kg. Makes it simple, 25s and 15s are a pain in the arse.

Sometimes budget dictates otherwise. If someone can only afford certain gear then it's better to have that then not train at all.

I understand completely on 15's but curious why you dont like 25's. I love loading up a bar with 25's. It's easier to count in 50's than in 40's imo.

Sometimes budget dictates otherwise. If someone can only afford certain gear then it's better to have that then not train at all.

I understand completely on 15's but curious why you dont like 25's. I love loading up a bar with 25's. It's easier to count in 50's than in 40's imo.

Obviously budget comes into it.
Go to a commercial gym in the mean time and save until you can afford a decent home gym equipment. It will save a lot of hassle and money in the long run.

25s are a pain when working up in weight. With 20s. Is easy to work up in 10 or 20kgs. 25s mean you have to keep using odd plate combos to work up in 20kg increments.