• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Multifidus Damage (lower back pain)

brassmonkey01

I damaged mine about 5 weeks ago, slowly getting better.
I rested for about 2 weeks then attempted 70% squat and aggrevated it, so now after reading up a bit ppl talk about 10week turnaround. im still doin upper body weight training.

Is there anything i can do to assist recovery/repair?

Regards

things i did when i injured my back was a lot of core type stuff, planks, weighted crunches for abs etc etc, and stretching of the legs, as well as foam roller excerises, although i guess this would all depend on what exactly is wrong with your back, i found all this helped me out greatly and my back is the best its been i a while.

You may still be able to do legs, but be careful i found i could still use the leg press as it supported the back a lot more, as well as seated calves, laying leg curls, leg extensions, basically exercises which supported the back.

you need to rest and allow the inflammation to die down.

you then need to gradually build up strength before attempting squats/deadlifts etc.

Do bird dogs. Google it. You need to make sure you do them properly - no twisting, no hyperextending the back, no round the back. The back must be completely neutral throughout.

Start off using hands only or feet only, then work up to opposing hands and feet. Three sets of 10 every day.

Bird dogs fixed my back. It is a multifidus exercise.

After about 4 weeks of this, perhaps try light squats. And always wear a belt even when the weight is light. Build up to 70% slowly.

Foam rolling is dangerous on the lower back - it is strictly for the thoracic spine only. In fact its dangerous. If you need to loosen the muscles of the lower back, find someone who does dry needling.

you need to rest and allow the inflammation to die down.

you then need to gradually build up strength before attempting squats/deadlifts etc.

Do bird dogs. Google it. You need to make sure you do them properly - no twisting, no hyperextending the back, no round the back. The back must be completely neutral throughout.

Start off using hands only or feet only, then work up to opposing hands and feet. Three sets of 10 every day.

Bird dogs fixed my back. It is a multifidus exercise.

After about 4 weeks of this, perhaps try light squats. And always wear a belt even when the weight is light. Build up to 70% slowly.

Foam rolling is dangerous on the lower back - it is strictly for the thoracic spine only. In fact its dangerous. If you need to loosen the muscles of the lower back, find someone who does dry needling.

Again great info, Will Start Bird Dogs today and see how that progress.
I know i wont be squating/deads for a while its just dissapoint when you have your first major injury :(.

Thanks for the info.