• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Juggling weight training & rugby

Relevant

Ok so just wondering if there is anyone out there who struggles trying to maintain weight training with rugby. I have been doing full body workouts Monday, Wednesday, Friday and training Tuesday and Thursday. This was a bit of a struggle especially running with leg soreness but now that the season has started and I've started playing on Saturdays. The intensity of my workouts are struggling and there are more days when I'm feeling weak.
Has anyone got any ideas on splits or recovery methods that I could use in order to make sure that I train play and lift at 100%

i have guys who play soccer/NFL/hockey/basketball etc on mondays for example.. and do field work on thursday.
On season they train with weights 2 times a week. Tue and friday.
As soon as their on field fitness is affected the volume/intesity is lowered.

Usually off season i have the guys do 3 x week weights and this is where they go through bulks and growth cycle.

I dont get them to do any cardio or the like as they get alot at training already esp the soccer guys who run up to 15km per game.

I am doing weights and footy.

At the moment doing weights 5 days. Footy training twice and footy on Saturdays.

Working well so far but I have dropped the volume of the weights sessions and upped the calories I am eating.

When I played Aussie rules I still weight trained 5 days per week, the only thing I did differently was drop the intensity of my legs workouts everything else I kept the same, I did increase the Cal's of my diet and those days I weight trained and had Footy training I made sure I went to bed early to get some extra recovery time in, I think I also trained arms and core on Fridays which is a bit easier if you have to play on the Saturday.

It is possible you just have to eat right and work out the best routine for you, if the way I trained I could still make some good gains in the gym without comprimising performance on the field.

Good luck with it and let use know how you go

I've often thought about this, in regards to mates playing training and still doing shitty bodybuilding splits and whinging when they dont get anywhere.

I havent dont anything like this personally, or have mixed playing football and weight training past my teenage years. But this is what i would try if i started playing again based on what i enjoy doing in the gym.

Try this out and see how it affects your training, it shouldnt effect your carryover to training and game day apart from a little residual soreness on training days.

If you still want to do your full body workouts just alter the goal and intensity of each workout. Just make sure the exercises you are doing carry over to the game (No lateral raise's, tricep kick backs or preacher curls)

On mondays train heavy 3-5 reps for 3 working sets on squats, bench, deadlifts. When you feel comfortable with the workload throw in 1 or 2 sets of 10 after your work sets to increase the total volume and ability for hypertrophy.

On wednesday train clean and jerk heavy (3-5 reps for 3+ sets) and throw in some moderate assistance/hypertrophy work of basic compound movements (chinups, pushups, dips, dumbell chest press, barbell curls if you so see fit. 10+ rep range).

On friday train for active recovery and speed. Same as monday but using a weight you can accelerate explosively for 5 reps or explosive variations of the movements from monday (jump squats, powercleans, bench throws, kipping chins (lol) going nowhere near failure. The weights used are light, you should become cardiovascularly fatigued before your muscles do.

So think of it as weight training twice a week with a really light ballistic/speed session on friday.

Dread I don't like that.

First off way to complicated. Also you have a speed day on Friday, most games are on Saturday. Fuck that. You have clean and jerks on wed, so essentially another speed and power day.

Really you should have done your speed and power training in pre season. In season training is about maintaining strength, maybe improving if you can, but game day and sports training serves as enough speed and power training. Apart from maybe a few sets of power cleans if that's what your into, any more speed training in the gym is too much.

Fair enough, as i said, i havent played footy in a long time.

How about a heavy push monday, heavy pull wednesday and bodyweight work on friday.

I just used to do a modified 5x5/3x3 program monday/wed, then a light ses friday...kept it simple during the season...no point over-thinking things....off-season is where you really wanna focus on.....

I'm starting to think this is one of those occasions when I have to decide on one or the other. I think could manage playing a less physical sport with weight training but I think rugby or league are difficult. Obviously professional athletes can do this but average joes like myself should focus on doing one activity good rather than two half arsed.

I gained about 15kg in the off season now into training and cardio.

Now train 7x a week. 3x training sessions (Compound/fullbody), 2x kettlebell and running drills, 2x team sessions usually one ball work/skills and fitness.

Mistake i made was going too hard out with the fitness and running straight up and now i over trained and got shin splints so i'm out of all running training for around 2 weeks.

I don't think how often you are training is going to affect a lot because i'm doing the same and i seem to do fine but it might be age dependant. I think you'll get used to it after a while but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what you do. If anything change your training days or something, i usually ride my bike down to the gym, train then ride home and run down to training straight away which is pretty hard but im getting used to it.

I don't feel it affects my performance because i get plenty of rest anyway

I gained about 15kg in the off season now into training and cardio.

Now train 7x a week. 3x training sessions (Compound/fullbody), 2x kettlebell and running drills, 2x team sessions usually one ball work/skills and fitness.

Mistake i made was going too hard out with the fitness and running straight up and now i over trained and got shin splints so i'm out of all running training for around 2 weeks.

I don't think how often you are training is going to affect a lot because i'm doing the same and i seem to do fine but it might be age dependant. I think you'll get used to it after a while but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what you do. If anything change your training days or something, i usually ride my bike down to the gym, train then ride home and run down to training straight away which is pretty hard but im getting used to it.

I don't feel it affects my performance because i get plenty of rest anyway

Yeah I could train everyday too when i was your age. Junior rugby is not as tough or as fast senior footy though also having a full time job is alot more hours than school, so you can't rest nearly as much.