• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pain in shins and feet when running

SWH

I've been getting lots of pain up my shins and on the top of my feet while running at rugby training. I've been training almost 7x a week lately and its hard but i thought the pain might be coming from running the barbell up my shins when deadlifting but i doubt it somehow because its not bruising. The pain is sort of dull and only comes after running usually after like 5 minutes. It's really hard to stop after sprinting thats when it hurts the worst and after a while it starts to hurt to walk. The pain is quite dull but very noticable and sticks around.

Might see a physio tomorrow but just wanting some insight until i do if anyone has expierienced this also

Shin splints?
Top of feet could be over-tight shoes/laces

Yeah could be sounds similiar. The shoes are fine though i think it might just be a bit of stiffness from training since its only been like a week or 2 since starting back up

I would say shin splints, can be caused by older running shoes which have lost some of their cushioning, even though they seem fine. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for it, either have some time off, try icing them, or put up with it.

I used to have the same problem, then I bought a really good pair of running shoes and it made all the difference.

Also running on grass tends to help if that is an option.

Tough it out mate. I had it when I first started running. Gritted my teeth, kept going, and it went away on its own accord.

I'm putting $100 on this being from poor running technique.

Stop landing on your heels with each stride. Stop reaching out in front with your feet each stride.

Land on mid foot, pull your feet off the ground using your hamstring muscles. Keep your hips locked, speed is governed by how much you lean whole body forward, not the speed of your feet.

Thats not what they teach at the pose cert

Oh right. I don't know much about the POSE technique of running but I do want to read more into it.

I was referring more to a 100m sprint with stride length x frequency. I thought pose running was more for for continous running? Not so much all out sprinting.

Yep went to doctors and it is shin splints. Its a bad case though so i need to rest from all running for a few weeks

Oh right. I don't know much about the POSE technique of running but I do want to read more into it.

I was referring more to a 100m sprint with stride length x frequency. I thought pose running was more for for continous running? Not so much all out sprinting.

I think if you're doing 100m competitively then you've got good genetics and you need to do whatever technique comes naturally to help use your natural ability. Your coach of course will help you refine this.

For the rest of us, we have to go with the mechanics of our calf muscles.
Landing on heels = sore shins
Landing on front/midfoot = sore calves (or no soreness if heel 'kisses' ground)
Ones a bone, ones a muscle, i know which one I'd rather have sore. Once it gets stronger it'll no longer be/get sore.

Practice this by jumping rope in bare feet.

See a Podiatrist and get some decent orthotics made up.
You'll find the problem of shin splints as well as any other post running aches and pains quickly disappear.

You should get your running form checked.

Agree with comments about running style. Heel strike is a good path to injury (for most people). Midfoot strike is safer and will stop you pronating or supinating if that is part of the problem.
You should be running with chest out, up straight and your front foot should strike on the midfoot under your centre of gravity, not out in front. Kick up and back (the old "kick your bum").
I posted a really good slo mo vid of usain bolt's style on the Thread about Running. it's a perfect vid of great form - check it out if you have time.

Orthotics might be the answer but (in my own experience, having ditched them ages ago) if you switch to midfoot strike, you won't need them and they'd only be an impediment when running.

If you're getting this from rugby training, I'm guessing you're already running on a softer surface like grass or a track, so that is unlikely to be an issue (concrete is the worst, avoid footpaths).

Definitely get your running form looked at if you can and check if you have the right shoes.