• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle McDonald

probably a bit extreme yet matty. but i think i have a pdf copy on my laptop, ill check it out tomorrow for ya!

What does this part mean from the book?
"Finally note that the foods containing zero (or near zero) net carbohydrates are off-limits. The sugar alcohols being used in these foods are converted, to one degree or another, to glucose in the liver and should be counted as carbohydrates."

What does this part mean from the book?
"Finally note that the foods containing zero (or near zero) net carbohydrates are off-limits. The sugar alcohols being used in these foods are converted, to one degree or another, to glucose in the liver and should be counted as carbohydrates."

Is that referring to SF drinks etc?

I don't actually remember reading that bit. Either way, I had plenty of sf maple syrup each time I've done it and I can't say that it hindered anything.

I read that as Atkins Style bars that only show net carbs. Or where in dieting, I know I do this, my carbs for the day is the amount after fibre is taken off....?

Great article stews

I guess I shouldnt be drinking the Sugar Free Maple Syrup then....
2eqepese.jpg

Great article stews

I guess I shouldnt be drinking the Sugar Free Maple Syrup then....

Ah yeah, no... how dodgy hey? Guess we should look at the stats of things and look at all the carb sub-items.

Perhaps not relevant here, but have also heard that artificial sweeteners like in Coke Zero can promote an insulin response (something about your body getting ready for the sugar that is about to arrive... that doesn't arrive when on Keto).

why? It's only 18cals. Why worry about the carb count?

see how it says less than 1g of carbs. Well that is less than 4 cals. Then 14 left which is made of the sugar alcohols at 5.4g.

why? It's only 18cals. Why worry about the carb count?

see how it says less than 1g of carbs. Well that is less than 4 cals. Then 14 left which is made of the sugar alcohols at 5.4g.

What if you've set your calories to say 80 a day from carb sources? That's ~25% gone in a hit. Guess it depends on what else you're having throughout the day.

I set my carbs at a net of 30, I remove fibres. I can stay in keto up to 60-80g.
Initial 2 week period of Keto I keep them under 30 strictly (try to!) Lol

I set my max carbs to 80 calories, unless on a workout day (TKD), so I guess 20 grams. This is my first time though, so don't know if that is good or bad?

Does this info help? Sweeteners like maltitol, lacitol, and sorbitol - Marketing Tricks: Net Carbs, Sugar Alcohols, Tricky Portion Sizes

The sugar alcohol's give between 1 and 3 calorie's per gram. So less than a vanilla carb, but nothing that should be ignored!

more in fact for some of them. you should count them.

EDIT: I hate getting random info from the web but this is pretty consistent with advice I was given by the docs who do this stuff day in day out, so not a bad guide: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugaralcohols.htm

Last edited:
This link has me confused on what to set as my carb intake: How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm trying to follow 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs (% in terms of daily calories, not grams).

That little table in the link is saying my muscle will be broken down, if my protein intake is insufficient, given I'm not having enough carbs (currently 20g/80cal).

If I set carbs to 50g/200cal on non-workout days, that's providing 12% of my daily calories... too high for Keto, I think?

So I just need to be super cautious to make sure I meet my minimum protein levels?

This link has me confused on what to set as my carb intake: How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm trying to follow 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs (% in terms of daily calories, not grams).

That little table in the link is saying my muscle will be broken down, if my protein intake is insufficient, given I'm not having enough carbs (currently 20g/80cal).

If I set carbs to 50g/200cal on non-workout days, that's providing 12% of my daily calories... too high for Keto, I think?

So I just need to be super cautious to make sure I meet my minimum protein levels?

make sure you hit min protein and fats every day.

for keto, you'll need to exceed the min quite a bit as the carb amounts will be set low. up the protein first, if you can.

My brother in law is doing keto this way...

Counting carbs to max at 20g a day or less.
The rest is bacon, eggs, avocado, chicken, WPI and anything else that is on the keto OK list.

Lyle McDonald even said it's makes no difference if in ketosis or not during RFL for the purpose of fat lass.

Majoring in the minors :)