• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lowest bf % to maintain year round??

H I am 18i, I went from 96kg to 56kg. I am now back up to 62.5kg at 7.1% bodyfat (dexa) and I have been training for about 10 - 11 months. Although for the first 4 months I was training way to much and not eating enough. (eatiing disorder). This is still a problem for me at times especially the training way to much as Pistachio knows. I eat 3100 cals a day but I also do a lot of cardio on top of my training. Which im trying to cut back on at the moment.

I lost all my weight by eating around 1600cals a day working 6 days a week as a brickies apprentice and boxing up to 6 times per week.

This is a bit private but I use to be like any teenage guy (always horny) but even now struggle with downstairs issues. I also did alot of damage to my liver and Kidney's but recent blood tests show that they are getting alot better since I have been eating more and gaining weight. (Very slowly I might add). I also had several bouts with bronchitis over the last 12 months and find it quite hard to get rid of a cold or flu and pick them up quite regularly although once again this is getting better as I gain weight.

I would say i would have been around 6% BF when I was 56kg as I have gained more LBM over a long period of time. And have not seen any real noticeable fat gains. I would like to stay under 10% all year round.

At the moment at 7% I feel I have lots of energy and am no where near as lethargic as I use to be. Saying this I believe if I want to gain more muscle quicker I could do with a little bit more Bodyfat to help get my Test levels back up there again. I personally believe 8 - 10% BF would be achieveable to stay at all year round if you have your diet spot on. (Getting all nutrients needed). So long as you go about losing the fat the right way like I did not.

I do not believe that I am a so called "hardgainer" or "naturally lean" I just need to eat more or do less simple its still just a bit hard to wrap my head around at times.

boxing23, you're very brave to have posted that. I wish you the very best of luck on your current journey to better & optimal physical wellness.

I trust you have professional supports in place, assisting you on this journey?

would like to hear Max B's thoughts on this. Someone get him in here

No disrepect to Max B - I have all the time in the world for what he says and posts etc...but why would u like to hear his thoughts on the matter....

I think what we have covered is pretty cut and dry in regards to staying lean or year round...the pros/cons etc...

No disrepect to Max B - I have all the time in the world for what he says and posts etc...but why would u like to hear his thoughts on the matter....

I think what we have covered is pretty cut and dry in regards to staying lean or year round...the pros/cons etc...

because im a purple unicorn

I used to be 7-8% all year round without any health complications - in fact 3 of the healthiest years of my life were like that.

Pistachio the number is not important really. Anywhere under 10 and you will be very lean. I'm interested to see that your current estimate is based on a dexa scan that you had in the past. That probably means that you are pretty accurate with your guess. Most people underestimate their bodyfat by a couple of % but dexa is as good as you can get to my knowledge.

If you are around 10 and want to get leaner then do it but do it slowly and keep an eye on energy levels and immune system etc. You will know if you are struggling you just need to be smart enough to work out why.

If you are going to work to a number then start at the top of your range of 6-8 and see how it goes.

I think you will know yourself a maintainable bodyfat % that you can still perform/function healthily and still be happy with your image.

KungFooGoo's sure you didn't just write that.....Let KungFooGoo know you were only joking and he'll leave it at that.

Fixed.

You still haven't quite got the hang of it have you? :p

Btw, just having a bit of a read of that makes you realise just how hard it is to be a fitness model.

I mean, compared to most people, I have a pretty good body. Compared to a fitness model, I look like shit and would probably be called fat lol.

Still got a long way to go if I want to be a fitness model.

If you can drop 10lbs in the next 5 mins i'll give you the job....you have fingers and theres a fucking bucket fatty

Fixed.

You still haven't quite got the hang of it have you? :p

Btw, just having a bit of a read of that makes you realise just how hard it is to be a fitness model.

I mean, compared to most people, I have a pretty good body. Compared to a fitness model, I look like shit and would probably be called fat lol.

Still got a long way to go if I want to be a fitness model.

...KungFooGoo think he was still right in that situation... We'll as in "we" being KungFooGoo and Mr. Moon.

You'd probably be called 'fat' and 'bulky'. KungFooGoo doesn't know much about bbing or "fitness" modeling at all but is a fitness model just a bber with bad genetics for bbing so they choose fitness modeling instead?

...KungFooGoo think he was still right in that situation... We'll as in "we" being KungFooGoo and Mr. Moon.

You'd probably be called 'fat' and 'bulky'. KungFooGoo doesn't know much about bbing or "fitness" modeling at all but is a fitness model just a bber with bad genetics for bbing so they choose fitness modeling instead?

'we' is a personal pronoun, it refers to yourself and therefore is not 3rd person!

Actually, I'd say the opposite. Fitness models have amazing genetics for bodybuilding, but just either don't train, or CBF. They always have small waists, v taper, wide shoulders, lean etc. Perfect for bodybuilding if you ask me.

But yeah, I'm kinda bulky and blocky :S

Don't know if I'll ever have the look I want honestly. Like I'm happy with how I look, but I'll never look how i want to.

'we' is a personal pronoun, it refers to yourself and therefore is not 3rd person!

Actually, I'd say the opposite. Fitness models have amazing genetics for bodybuilding, but just either don't train, or CBF. They always have small waists, v taper, wide shoulders, lean etc. Perfect for bodybuilding if you ask me.

But yeah, I'm kinda bulky and blocky :S

Don't know if I'll ever have the look I want honestly. Like I'm happy with how I look, but I'll never look how i want to.

Hmm... You win this round....

True, KungFooGoo would prefer to look like a fitness model rather then a bber... Having said that he thinks Brandon Curry looks like a million bucks...

Be a little hard on yourself but not too hard... You look like 1/2million buxs at the moment (no homo) in 6 months to a years time im sure you'll look like a million buxs (again no homo) You're just a big powerful looking dude really.

Hmm... You win this round....

True, KungFooGoo would prefer to look like a fitness model rather then a bber... Having said that he thinks Brandon Curry looks like a million bucks...

Be a little hard on yourself but not too hard... You look like 1/2million buxs at the moment (no homo) in 6 months to a years time im sure you'll look like a million buxs (again no homo) You're just a big powerful looking dude really.

It'd be fucking awesome to look like someone like Brandon Curry.

Like everything, you are limited by your genetics. I don't think my waist will ever go below 32", no matter how lean I get. Even 33" I'd have to be pretty damn lean. And I've got massive child-bearing hips, so I'm never going to have a taper like zyzz or any other ecto that has put on some decent muscle.

But thanks mate. I'm just trying to look the best I can. Like I said, I am very happy with how I look, but still envious as fuck of those guys out there with the perfect shape.

I'm going to keep on trying, maybe one day I will get the kind of shape i want. I honestly think I'm starting to look a bit out of proportion at the moment though.