• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maximal strength all over...?

McKwl

Overloaded Member
How would you go about building strength, in all areas of the body that can become stronger?

It occurred to me today (again) that I'm not lifting to get better at lifting (there goes "powerlifting" and "oly lifting", also "strongman training"), and I'm not lifting to look better (so follows "bodybuilding") - I just want to be stronger. All of me (that can be).

What the hell kind of program(s) would you use for that? :confused: Because what I see a lot of is one of the above, or sometimes a weird kind of hybrid. :eek:

Is strongman the closest? Maybe not. To me, it looks a lot like just a different array of lifts (from powerlifting or oly, say), that those guys focus on getting better at. Which is cool, don't get me wrong. An awesome... sport(?) - but I'm not looking for a sport, really. Just self-improvement, by means of being seriously damn strong. :) All 'round. No intention of competing (that implies a sport).

So. Would I have to look back at really old-time strongmen and stuff like that? Try and find out what they did? Or just make shit up, once I've built a base to work from (via compound lifts, which is what I'm doing right now). Make sure I'm doing lots of different exercises (once I'm intermediate or advanced), rather than the same small set of things, over and over again?

Have a read of a book called Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik, it might just be the thing you are looking for, it's all about being real strong in the real world.

I think a combination of powerlifting and strongman training would work best for you. Hit the big 3 to build the base strength then do the strongman lifts to translate the strength.

And I second Dinosaur Training. Great read.

Last edited:
What do you mean overall strength? And what is your definition of strong? Do you want to be able to lift a 100kg rock over your head or be able to go heavy labouring all day??? Your question and goal is so vast that it will be hard to reach any results if you dont focus in on a goal abit more...

From what your saying id say something like a simple powerlifting/strength style program with a mix of strongman stuff in there....

EDIT: Just a quick point...I think this would be more suited for the strength section...not having a dig...just the wrong section mate!

EDIT: Just a quick point...I think this would be more suited for the strength section...not having a dig...just the wrong section mate!

LOL, Joel you should be the Mod of this section :D:D:D

Your dedication is admirable :p

What do you mean overall strength? And what is your definition of strong? Do you want to be able to lift a 100kg rock over your head or be able to go heavy labouring all day??? Your question and goal is so vast that it will be hard to reach any results if you dont focus in on a goal abit more...
You're right. I was kind of thinking out loud, really. :D Felt I had to post something about it, and ask for advice, even if I wasn't making much sense, lol.

It's all pretty confusing, I'll admit. So many different approaches to "strength", so many opinions.

I think strongman maybe is the closest I've seen, after all. And by no means is the "newbie powerlifting" method I'm using currently going to be useless. But I'm checking out that Dinosaur Training book ASAP.

Some powerlifters seem to have a more... holistic(?) philosophy with their training - they not only shore up weaknesses (which, I take it, is smart) but also try and keep opposing muscles fairly balanced (for example). That's part of what I meant... I think. :p Overall strength, and full on strength in every muscle, without necessarily favouring any.

And using muscles in lots of different ways. Moving and stretching the body all directions, with different lifts. But this almost sounds more like bodybuilding...?

Heh. And I'm lost again. This is what happens when newbies try and understand such things, eh? :)

But I will read that book. And thanks for some interesting and helpful posts, guys.

Crossfit seems more endurance based than strength based, Dinosaur Training would be perfect for what you want, not concerned about looks, just pure functional strength training, a lot of grip training, a strong grip will translate into real world strength.

That was kinda my point. Maybe saying mma style training is less gay sounding if you prefer. If real world stuff fitness is required more. Most people stop digging , or carting crap because they are knocked up rather than not strong enough.

I think for what I think you want, a healthy combination of strength and fitness.

You're right. I was kind of thinking out loud, really. :D Felt I had to post something about it, and ask for advice, even if I wasn't making much sense, lol.

It's all pretty confusing, I'll admit. So many different approaches to "strength", so many opinions.

I think strongman maybe is the closest I've seen, after all. And by no means is the "newbie powerlifting" method I'm using currently going to be useless. But I'm checking out that Dinosaur Training book ASAP.

Some powerlifters seem to have a more... holistic(?) philosophy with their training - they not only shore up weaknesses (which, I take it, is smart) but also try and keep opposing muscles fairly balanced (for example). That's part of what I meant... I think. :p Overall strength, and full on strength in every muscle, without necessarily favouring any.

And using muscles in lots of different ways. Moving and stretching the body all directions, with different lifts. But this almost sounds more like bodybuilding...?

Heh. And I'm lost again. This is what happens when newbies try and understand such things, eh? :)

But I will read that book. And thanks for some interesting and helpful posts, guys.

You're on the money. Most people look at PL programs and only see an emphasis on the big 3 but don't realise that PL'ers spend a lot of time on assistance to balance out their physique.

Strongmen use a combination of PL training and events training to develop their strength.

Have a listen to the podcasts on http://strengthvillain.com/ his ebooks are quite good as well imo. He doesn't lean toward either BB or PL but does care about being badass.

Edit: after a rethink, i guess I'm fairly similar to OP to a certain extent. I consider BB gay, I'm utilise PL lifts, but not interested in competing. I'm interested in real life performance. I follow a NFL training program, hence why my log is not on this forum.

Last edited: