• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help. Weird Leg pain/feeling, legs felt fucked after doing light squats.

Figjam Brah

Srs feels brah
Hey peoples, had a weird experience today.

While doing warm up squats, of only 25kgs, I had a really weird pain/sensation run up my legs. I'd just finished doing 10 reps atg, felt normal doing them, just the usual cold muscle feelings.

but as soon as i racked the bar, I got what felt like a sharp stabbing pain run up both legs, only on the sides though, not the font or back. Then the pain was like a dull pain. Went to sit on my bench and legs gave away when a few inches above the seat. They just felt fucked, form doing nothing at all...

First time I've experienced anything like this, and not sure what it could have been.

Now that I think about it, felt like latic acid, but instant...

Hey Adrian, sounds like you've pinched a nerve or done some damage to the nerves in your lower back - often leg pain, like you've described, is referred pain from the lumbar region. Particularly if the 'lactic acid' feeling was instant - this is often an indication of a pinched or bruised nerve, through poor form.

In tandem with the 'weakness' you experienced in the legs afterwards, I would bet that this is the case.

Whilst it didn't feel like the squats were any work for you, perhaps the form was not as it should have been and your lower back bore the brunt of the weight baring? This would explain the 'lactic acid' feel (pinched nerve) and the dull aching in the legs afterwards, especially if you continued on with the squat form for several repetitions?

It's hard to know without actually seeing you or feeling through the ligaments and muscle. But I would recommend, if you have a wife/gf - ask them to gently massage your lower back (including the top of your bottom, which is where this nerve has likely been pinched) and after the entire area is warmed up, ask them to knead deeper accross the entire area, working each section for you thoroughly, including down to the sides of your glutes and upper thighs.

A squat perfectly performed should see the weight of your body born on the area's of your thighs and buttocks predominantly, core tight, back solid.

Sometimes, when our core is not tight and the back is not solid, the weight is unevenly distributed and the wrong area's, whether it's the knees or the back (which are the two most common trouble spots) bare the body weights force during this exercise.

I hope that helps a little? But it sounds like referred pain to me. Get the lower lumbar region (from lattissimus dorsi, down to the top of your glutes) thoroughly worked with some remedial therapy, that should help. Any weakness you felt should be temporary and easily remedied with some tlc.

Watch your squat form! lol

Hope you get better soon :)

it might be nerve related, but its probably not lumbar related.

firstly, if you had nerve impingement from the lower back, you wouldn't feel it down both legs - only one. It would take something fairly catastrophic, ie a car crash to get pain referral from a disc affecting both sides.

To get sudden onset nerve pain referring from the disc, it would take a total disc prolapse. If there is other kind of damage (ie disc tear, bulge), the onset is usually progressive or happens the next day after hard training. These usually only affect one side. Don't see how you could get muscular nerve impingement from that origin - the nerves don't run through muscle in that area.

secondly, the sciatic nerves doesn't run down the side of the legs. It runs down the back. You'd feel a dull pain anywhere from deep in the buttocks, down the back of the legs into the calves. There are no major nerves that run down the side of the lower leg. The femoral nerve runs down the side of the thigh and connects to the lumbar region, but the OP describes shooting pain running up the leg.

thirdly, you probably wouldn't be walking right now if you had discal damage.

It could be SI joint related. It could be piriformis related. It could be referred pain from trigger points in glute medius, glute minimus or TFL. It could be tight ITB. It could even be originating in your feet given the way you've describe the onset of pain. Very hard to say over the internet.

Best to see a good physio who deals with sports injuries.

Well today my legs just felt bad, horrible DOMS... will massage and stretch, hope they feel better afterwards..

will see how they feel tomorrow, but don't think I'll be doing any squats/deads :(

Just take it easy! :(

Pain is not where it's at! SE is right, a good physio should be able to help if the pain persists.

Stetch, massage, repeat.

Am sorry you're in pain, that's never nice!