• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
when you take into account the crappy rules that they have no , i say bring back the biff

add in their crappy goal kicking skills , FFS these are professional players , all they do is train train train and then train some more , why the fuck do they have so much trouble kicking goals when they are right in front of the fucking goal square

and don't give me this shit about the pressure of it , ok the new guy to the afl who has never played in front of 60,000+ screaming fans sure you can understand he might under a bit of performance pressure , but the seasoned veterans have no excuse

about time some common sense was shown in the Jack Viney case with appeal being upheld, it goes someway to restoring my faith in AFL but i still fear for the game in light of the inital decision....

all of Sydney's big guns back tonight, but can they play together well straight away against premiers?

I reckon swans would have inner club troubles. Two over paid players join your team, hardly do anything worth their pay and you think that won't cause frustration

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

yes, once many players get the big pay, maybe the urge for some to succeed wanes.

Not all like the great Gary Ablett.

Franklin i thought was lazy at the Hawks but did show potential of complete super stardom and brilliance, now he is on the big dollars and guarenteed for 10 yrs or whatever, he wont deliver....

Yeah at the start they looked a completely different team. Franklin has never passed the ball in his life, so has no idea how to deliver it to his team mates

Am I alone, I reckon AFL players generally look a lot smaller this year. Not as muscular.

Maybe it is the result of a greater emphasis on the running game and fitness.

Am I alone, I reckon AFL players generally look a lot smaller this year. Not as muscular.

Maybe it is the result of a greater emphasis on the running game and fitness.

Running. It's harder to run for 2 hours if you are 100kg vs 85.

In the 90s the players seemed bigger but there was a lot of rumors about a fair amount of roids being around then.

yes, but I think they look a bit smaller from say two years ago.

in the 1980s, I knew a number of players on steroids. Nothing surprising about that, there was little testing.

And today minor leagues still have a lot of PED use.

when I trained a Richmond FC in early 1980s, just using their facilities, I could outclean and out bench all of them, despite being just 82kg. There were the odd strong guys in the VFL in the 1970s, like Rene Kink and Mick Conlan

I helped Jim Jess power clean 100kg in one session after he had being trying to lift that weight for years, although he merely had some easy technical and mental issues to fix in way he approached the lift. I basically told him he was superstar who kicked the ball 70m and I was a bum who could clean 120kg. That seemed to fire him up with a few technical pointers when we restarted his session by going back to 60kg and working up.

Times have changed and AFL players are now a lot stronger. I heard Rocca could power clean 150kg at Collingwood and there are many 150kg+ bench pressers.

Last edited:
when I trained a Richmond FC in early 1980s, just using their facilities, I could outclean and out bench all of them, despite being just 82kg. There were the odd strong guys, like Rene Kink and Mick Conlan

I helped Jim Jess power clean 100kg in one session after he had being trying to lift that weight for years, although he merely had some easy technical and mental issues to fix in way he approached the lift.

Times have changed and AFL players are now a lot stronger. I heard Rocca could power clean 150kg at Collingwood and there are many 150kg+ bench pressers.

I don't know about that. Players are fitter, not sure about stronger. I know a few blokes currently playing or have played afl. None are strong and never seen one do a full bench rep. It's always half, spotter assisted reps.

maybe true, but still I would say the average strength level in the AFL has improved. I got a lot of feedback from AFL strength trainers I personally knew.

When I was at Richmond in early 1980s, Barry Rowlings had the best bench press (at time) with 120kg. He may have lifted more in time when I stoped training there.

They may still do half reps though. I can only go on stats I observed and few players I watched in training. I mostly trained when they were not there.

for example, Dunstall's 147.5kg on tv has little resemblance to a proper bench press.

you are right, few AFL players would have your kind of strength; I am just saying that overall strength standard would have improved.

A few years ago had a new strength coach at the club. He had been working at afl clubs for years.

He got an oly bar and weights to do deadlifts. He drops off 150kg of plates and says there you go that's more than enough weight than anyone will ever lift here. Lol.