• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DKD

Private Dancer
I do both of these. I do shoulder width parallel grip pullups...I've tried wider grip palms away grip but basically I'm too weak/shit at it, so I stick with what I can do. I can do 10-11 reps and haven't tried adding weight yet.

I've always read that pullups are superior to pulldowns but I find I can concentrate on muscle contractions far better with pulldowns. In recent times I'm thinking maybe pulldowns might be better, and I'm leaning towards doing them more often than pullups.

What are your thoughts on these two lat builders?

Looks like it is the same movement execpt pulldowns you control the weight exactly? Just my oversimplified logic

Sometimes with pulldowns I can feel the pecs getting worked as well as the lats. Often with pullups I'll feel the abs getting hit too....weird. Added bonus I guess!

As the body rises on a pullup the angles change as the point of balance shifts. That is difficult to replicate with a pulldown.

My personal opinion is that pullups are better provided you can get the right feel. Persevere with them. I'd do 20 reps of pullups in whatever sets it takes and then some pulldowns, really going for a good contraction and hold for a moment.

I find pullups to be superior movement, the fact that they're harder to do is a good indication that you'll gain more from them.
I know you say you find them difficult to do but it's worth being persistent otherwise you'll never get any better at doing them.

next program i will be doing both.

Pull ups i struggle to feel the lats working.. my chest doesn't touch the bar like most people say to do, my whole body is further back which is annoying. So my shoulders are more forward then normal. I don't know how to fix it.

Do both.
D.
I like both, but I find that the pulldown is kinder to my shoulders now.
Using the pulldown allows me the volume.
I like this video and I like the way describes the technique.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHs_peIheJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]The Congruent Chin Up - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Andy, I'll study that properly at home.

Buddy, I also struggle to feel the pullups in the lats. This is mainly whats steering me towards pulldowns. I feel the pullups mainly in upper back region.

With pulldowns, I like to let the last rep of each set just hang there forever (8-10 seconds or so) to really feel the lats get stretched. I have NFI if this achieves anything but I feel like it does. :D

Both are beneficial to anybody depending on their goals, the same way the barbell row and the seated cable row differ for the back and in a broader picture, the difference between free weights (stabilisers etc blah blah) and cables (which apply constant tension).

I tend to use pullups (and barbell rows for back) for strength and power, focusing on lifting as much weight as possible with the best form possible aiming to get the most out of strength and myofibrillar hypertrophy. (Type 1 fibres)

Cables on the otherhand, specifically the lat pulldown (and the seated row), i aim to lift the weight as controlled as possible, contracting the shit out of the muscle im trying to target and stimulate as much sarcoplasmic growth as possible. (Type 2 fibres).

Taking that into account, you can see why the people (the bro's) who use the lat pulldown and swing the entire weight stack up as the heave their body back and forth dont actually have any substantial back mass. And also why those who shy away from any serious weighted pullups also stuggle to display any substantial back mass.

Well thats my thoughts on pullups vs pulldowns.

Very interesting post mate, thanks. I have exactly the same philosophy on cable row and lat pulldown ie focus on controlled movements and muscle contraction.

Both are beneficial to anybody depending on their goals, the same way the barbell row and the seated cable row differ for the back and in a broader picture, the difference between free weights (stabilisers etc blah blah) and cables (which apply constant tension).

I tend to use pullups (and barbell rows for back) for strength and power, focusing on lifting as much weight as possible with the best form possible aiming to get the most out of strength and myofibrillar hypertrophy. (Type 1 fibres)

Cables on the otherhand, specifically the lat pulldown (and the seated row), i aim to lift the weight as controlled as possible, contracting the shit out of the muscle im trying to target and stimulate as much sarcoplasmic growth as possible. (Type 2 fibres).

Taking that into account, you can see why the people (the bro's) who use the lat pulldown and swing the entire weight stack up as the heave their body back and forth dont actually have any substantial back mass. And also why those who shy away from any serious weighted pullups also stuggle to display any substantial back mass.

Well thats my thoughts on pullups vs pulldowns.

good post.

how much sets per week will you do for the back?

Training back twice a week...

6-9 sets for PL (3-5reps) on a tues (with 3 sets of weighted pullups)
9-12 sets for BB (10+) on a thurs (3 sets of either lat pull down or seated row every other week)

Last edited:
I use both...and both are good exercises...big fan of pullups (any variation)...I normally bring my grip in closer on pulldowns now days i.e 4-5 inches in from the end...I am alot stronger in this position and can feel it alot more in my lats...

I also do alot of wide grip (3-4 inches in from the end) rev grip pulldowns as a variation...another killer exercise for lates...

So my shoulders are more forward then normal. I don't know how to fix it.

Flare the elbows out. The line of your body is determined by the angle of your arms. If your shoulders are rounding, you need to concentrate on retracting the scapulae and keeping your elbows wide or maybe rotated back is a better way to think of it.

If you find it difficult, remember to keep the motion smooth. I believe that jerking about like a fish on a hook with weighted chins caused some shoulder issues for me years ago.

If you can't feel the lats working in pullups then the grip is probably a bit narrow. Will be limited by triceps if this is the case.

Home gym with pullup bar so that is what I do. (plus more benefit for muscle ups)

Flare the elbows out. The line of your body is determined by the angle of your arms. If your shoulders are rounding, you need to concentrate on retracting the scapulae and keeping your elbows wide or maybe rotated back is a better way to think of it.

If you find it difficult, remember to keep the motion smooth. I believe that jerking about like a fish on a hook with weighted chins caused some shoulder issues for me years ago.

thanks