• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flat Feet Issues with Deadlifts

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
I have flat feet that over pronates and is known to cause problems when running (sore knees), that is why I have custom insoles for shoes designed to correct this problem. I have been wearing these during deadlifts but have noticed that the 'springiness' from them cause a bouncing effect during my lift which I don't like and now understand that it doesnt contribute to good form.

The question is, will going barefoot/in socks cause knee problems due to my flat feet? Obviously I want to minimise joint wear/tear/injury so I want to make sure my setup is right.

Given the option, I'd much prefer to go barefoot than have 'springiness'.

I'm unsure how bad your condition is, try a couple of deadlifts barefoot. Remember to keep your feet hip width (not shoulder width!) apart, set your back straight and utilise your hip flexors and hamstrings to go up. Only you can tell us if this compromises your knees via bad angles caused.

Perhaps get someone to video you and post it?

Lol. Keep the fucking deadlift questions out of Joel's BB section. Gun questions only. Oh and maybe pec dec.

you said it fuarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk

P.s Joel for mod of the bodybuilding section in 2012

:p

It doesn't matter how you place for feet, as in shoulder or hip width apart etc. As long as it works for you.

I think if you have the feet closer you work out the hammies and glutes more than a wider stance. At least thats what it seems like for me.

I have flat feet that over pronates and is known to cause problems when running (sore knees), that is why I have custom insoles for shoes designed to correct this problem. I have been wearing these during deadlifts but have noticed that the 'springiness' from them cause a bouncing effect during my lift which I don't like and now understand that it doesnt contribute to good form.

The question is, will going barefoot/in socks cause knee problems due to my flat feet? Obviously I want to minimise joint wear/tear/injury so I want to make sure my setup is right.

I have a similar problem, both my feet pronate (unevenly).

I still use my orthotics in my Chucks when pulling, I can feel them flexing a bit but its never really been a huge problem (I also tape my feet in competition).

Are you pulling Sumo or Conventional?

I have a similar problem, both my feet pronate (unevenly).

I still use my orthotics in my Chucks when pulling, I can feel them flexing a bit but its never really been a huge problem (I also tape my feet in competition).

Are you pulling Sumo or Conventional?

Pulling conventional. I think I'll try barefeet and see how it goes. I don't want to ruin my orthotics by putting so much strain on it lol, it costed me 300 bucks..

Pulling conventional. I think I'll try barefeet and see how it goes. I don't want to ruin my orthotics by putting so much strain on it lol, it costed me 300 bucks..

I found taping provides a decent amount of support but I can't find a video of the way I tape my feet. However, to be honest is much of a muchness.

I would also consider looking at pulling sumo since you naturally pronate the feet

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi-gX5P4GAo&feature=related"]HOW TO TAPE PROPERLY FOR PLANTAR FASCIITIS - YouTube[/ame]

As long as you're not in any pain or discomfort lifting with barefeet, you should be fine

I disagree, simply assuming an absence from pain is a key performance indicator is critically misguided in my opinion. Bio-mechanically the placement of the feet is essential to the performance of the kinematic chain. As such any pronation of the foot and ankle will have a serious flow on effect to the performance of the lift.

Maybe make yourself some solid wooden inserts in the same shape as the ones you have bought.
It would be a bit of a job but wouldn't be that hard, just use a belt sander, alternatively go to a foot doc and ask them to make some custom ones. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually make something like that already.
I know that flat feet can cause issues, my eldest daughter has flat feet and she gets very sore feet when she runs, we just took her to a foot doc and she has those inserts for her shoes you have to help her out and that took care of it, but deadlifting with them would be an issue I would imagine.
I am with Catastrophic on this, I don't think you should use pain as a performance indicator, it just seems wrong as I know how flat feet can affect those who have it. I would suggest you keep the inserts in for now until you have a custom set made or at least talk to a foot doc about the issue.

G

Maybe make yourself some solid wooden inserts in the same shape as the ones you have bought.
It would be a bit of a job but wouldn't be that hard, just use a belt sander, alternatively go to a foot doc and ask them to make some custom ones. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually make something like that already.
I know that flat feet can cause issues, my eldest daughter has flat feet and she gets very sore feet when she runs, we just took her to a foot doc and she has those inserts for her shoes you have to help her out and that took care of it, but deadlifting with them would be an issue I would imagine.
I am with Catastrophic on this, I don't think you should use pain as a performance indicator, it just seems wrong as I know how flat feet can affect those who have it. I would suggest you keep the inserts in for now until you have a custom set made or at least talk to a foot doc about the issue.

G

Here is some weight to your molded orthotics; Reebok are soon to be producing a custom molded Oly shoe!

Sneak Peek: New 2011 Reebok Weightlifting Shoes

I seriously dream of the day I can rock in to a shop & say 'scan my feet & mold me some shoes'!