• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

One core lift lagging - what to do?

McKwl

Overloaded Member
What would you do, if one of the core lifts in your routine was stalling, and none of the others was?

In my case, it's the bench. OHP, squats, deads and rows are fine - all progressing every time, or nearly every time. I heard it was meant to be OHP that would do this to me, lol...

Should I add in some supporting exercises, like dips? Just do more bench? Help! :(

The first thing I thought of was form, but I've checked and rechecked that. It's fine.

It depends what you are doing now. My training is basically bodybuilding based so when I stall I usually switch to a strength focus. It doesn't have to be very scientific, I switched squats from 3x10 to 10x3 once and it worked a treat over a couple of months.

I'd start doing the lagging lift lots and lots and do my assistance work to build up the muscles used lol

If your doing bodybuilding, or looking for size more than strength which I guess you are coz you posted in this section...simply change exercise...do flat db bench, or incline barbell, or db...change it up...

What would you do, if one of the core lifts in your routine was stalling, and none of the others was?

In my case, it's the bench. OHP, squats, deads and rows are fine - all progressing every time, or nearly every time. I heard it was meant to be OHP that would do this to me, lol...

Should I add in some supporting exercises, like dips? Just do more bench? Help! :(

The first thing I thought of was form, but I've checked and rechecked that. It's fine.

If you arent already dipping then you should be. I cant think of anything better for building big triceps. And big triceps = big bench.

Again I am abit lost to what to say...if this is a strength matter then its totally diff than if its a size/bodybuilding matter....we need to know if your training for strength or size....coz we cant give advice till we know this...

Yeah, I thought the other forum was more for beginners, as well as BBers. Like it says in the subtitle: "A forum for everything related to training, Those new to bodybuilding and weight training." But sure, I am trying to train for strength, lol.

Mostly, that seems to be working. Just have NFI why bench would be lagging, and continuing to lag, relative to the other lifts.

Yeah, I thought the other forum was more for beginners, as well as BBers. Like it says in the subtitle: "A forum for everything related to training, Those new to bodybuilding and weight training." But sure, I am trying to train for strength, lol.

Mostly, that seems to be working. Just have NFI why bench would be lagging, and continuing to lag, relative to the other lifts.
post a vid of you benching (preferably a working set) filmed from the side

what program are you doing?

oi niggs,

do dips (upright dips - more tricep) hit all 3 heads of tricep? I know pressing doesn't hit all 3 and leaves long head out

oi niggs,

do dips (upright dips - more tricep) hit all 3 heads of tricep? I know pressing doesn't hit all 3 and leaves long head out

If you have a significant amount of weight hanging between your legs then The question of angle becomes moot.

If you have a significant amount of weight hanging between your legs then The question of angle becomes moot.

i can feel it a lot more in triceps when staying upright, and a lot more in chest/shoulder when leaning forward