• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

One core lift lagging - what to do?

srs? I mean i know squats hit most of the lower body, actually just about all of it not 100% sure?

But dips will hit chest/tricep/shoulder?

The traps, rhomboids and lats will all act as stabilizer muscles.

Dips also allow free movement of the scapula so with this in mind they're also a far safer option than benching.

ROM and time under tension are also increased significantly when comparing to the barbell bench press

The traps, rhomboids and lats will all act as stabilizer muscles.

No, they are extending and contracting.

@Buddy
And benching does lol?

The upper body equivalents of squat/deadlift are dip/chin.

One pressing/pushing the other pulling

@Andy
They still aid in stabilization of the scapula and shoulder joint (along with the rotator cuff muscles obviously)

If I have my anatomy right, the triceps and lats both have some involvement of shoulder abduction, so both would act to control the eccentric portion of the lift

Last edited:
Yes they will.

what?

Does squat build your biceps also lol?

according to exrx, muscle hit in tricep dip -

Target

Triceps Brachii

Synergists

Deltoid, Anterior
Pectoralis Major, Sternal
Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
Pectoralis Minor
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Latissimus Dorsi

Dynamic Stabilizers

Biceps Brachii

Stabilizers

Trapezius, Lower

ok i see lat and bicep in there..

Post a vid of you benching that's probably the best thing. If you are benching for strength it is much more likely it's a technique issue rather than a strength issue especially being new.

From looking around at a few of his other posts he's only just benching 1 plate, so in all likelihood it is a technical/just needs more time under the bar problem

If you're doing the beginner's program then just deload 10-15% for bench & then continue to add weight until you stall again. Rinse & repeat.

bro if you load any exercise heavy enough you're going to build the majority of your muscles. Exrx doesn't say shit about your lats when you bench either, but anyone who benches knows that pushing with your lats adds kilos to your bench

dips are probably the best upper body mass builders, followed closely by chin-ups. I never got much out of them but that's mainly because my benching problems are technical

I like incline db bench actually i think it was Christian who told me to start doing them and it's really helped

I like incline db bench actually i think it was Christian who told me to start doing them and it's really helped
For what kind of weight and sets/reps, relative to, say, your standard barbell bench press? A stab in the dark would be higher reps, fewer sets and lower weight...?

Looking at maybe doing IDBBP and dips, now. Could be chest is just a really weak area for me. Tris too, possibly. Not so much shoulders, as the OHP is more or less OK.

It's getting the bar off my chest that's the bit I have the most trouble with, over and over again. Dunno if that's relevant. And for the record, most of my lifts are very similar to your "current training maxes", it seems. Except the deadlift! Mother of dog, that's high, compared to the rest... right?! :confused:

Last edited:
Probably even more likely it is a technical issue then.
And if you're only benching as much as me and Oni odds are you're just weak all over like us too

I'll look into that. Again. Even more. :p Just watched that Dave Tate thing linked here recently, for example. Hm... do you have to go the full PL style, to get a lot stronger?

And if you're only benching as much as me and Oni odds are you're just weak all over like us too
Haha, yeah I guess. Weaker, if anything. :(

But that's why I'm doing this shit, after all...

You don't have to go PL style to get stronger but you asked how to improve your bench, not get stronger
To get stronger you just get stronger lol

You don't have to go PL style to get stronger but you asked how to improve your bench, not get stronger
To get stronger you just get stronger lol

For what kind of weight and sets/reps, relative to, say, your standard barbell bench press? A stab in the dark would be higher reps, fewer sets and lower weight...?

Looking at maybe doing IDBBP and dips, now. Could be chest is just a really weak area for me. Tris too, possibly. Not so much shoulders, as the OHP is more or less OK.

It's getting the bar off my chest that's the bit I have the most trouble with, over and over again. Dunno if that's relevant. And for the record, most of my lifts are very similar to your "current training maxes", it seems. Except the deadlift! Mother of dog, that's high, compared to the rest... right?! :confused:

Bring your grip in
I was having this problem for ages, most likely you're benching pinkys on the rings or further. Bring your grip in a lot, thumbs length from the smooth is where I put it. Doing this brought my sticking point up 4" or so and allowed my strong(er) triceps (comparative to my chest) to take more of the weight. This added about 5kg instantly

I bench 2x3x70kg, 2x72.5kg and 1x75kg and do dumbbell incline for 4 sets to failure straight after benching in the 8-15 rep range, currently using 50's. Really I wouldn't focus on bringing your chest hypertrophy up, just bring your grip in and really work the triceps. Then if your chest starts lagging just do some flies for hypertrophy but it's not what will bring your bench up.

And yeah my deadlift is high, did 160kg for a set of 8 today lol, I think I'm just built to deadlift it just seems easy for me

Most of my gains atm on bench and push press are coming from technique alterations I suspect

Long term you won't be able to bench as much with the grip you're using

For me pinky on the ring is a close grip lol

I'm just going to bench however gives me the fastest progress lol. Atm close grip is working great so I'll stick to that. I also read somewhere that skinnier people should bench with a closer grip, I think it was Andy Bolton that said it - when the bar is on your chest the grip should be so that your elbows are at 45 degrees. I dismissed it as broscience because nearly everything he says is rubbish but this really helped

You can have your elbows at 45 degrees with any grip depending on where you touch and the angle of your elbow

IMO you should be using a grip that has your forearm completely vertical (from both front on and side on) when the bar hits the chest. The longer your arms the wider it will push your grip

With the grip you're describing I found I was doing either a half skull scrusher or had to dangerously flare my elbows