• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dave Tate explains why your bench sucks

It probably isn't too pertinent to you Callan as you don't have a problem with the issues he addresses (due to proper coaching - he refers solely to n00b technical errors)

he explains my views on technique very well. 90% of lifters will find their weakness' are due to technical issues. and that improvements in technique will lead to faster gains

i can see this working for powerlifters who are trying to have every advantage to make the rom shorter, but what about for the person who wants to build up their chest

i can see this working for powerlifters who are trying to have every advantage to make the rom shorter, but what about for the person who wants to build up their chest

Dont listen to that vid if thats the case....

I find its better to bench higher on your chest when looking for size, plus bring the elbows out more to take the triceps out of the movement somewhat....when looking for strength pretty much you wanna find the spot that has the shortest rom...

because if your worrying about the size of your chest, the weight on the bar shouldnt bother you

Love Dave Tate - funny stuff, and as always, very educational.

buddy: you don't have to be a 'powerlifter' to take these techniques and improve your bench. Have you seen the chest sizes on these guys? This shit works.

because if your worrying about the size of your chest, the weight on the bar shouldnt bother you

Callan - as a PL coach, can you explain in more detail what you mean by that? thanks..

Last edited:
Love Dave Tate - funny stuff, and as always, very educational.

buddy: you don't have to be a 'powerlifter' to take these techniques and improve your bench. Have you seen the chest sizes on these guys? This shit works.

Yea they normally have small chests lol....a good bencher will normally have a huge back, huge delts/rear delts, and huge triceps...but chest will be lacking...

Callan - as a PL coach, can you explain in more detail what you mean by that? thanks..
powerlifters to everything humanly possible to lift as much weight as possible, arch to create back tightness and to incorporate the lats more, use leg drive to help generate speed off the chest, flare elbows to help lockout and the list goes on.
why would a bodybuilder want to do these things? it will spread the load of the lift to the rest of their body rather then hitting the muscles u are actually trying to build.

powerlifters to everything humanly possible to lift as much weight as possible, arch to create back tightness and to incorporate the lats more, use leg drive to help generate speed off the chest, flare elbows to help lockout and the list goes on.
why would a bodybuilder want to do these things? it will spread the load of the lift to the rest of their body rather then hitting the muscles u are actually trying to build.

Hmm, that's interesting - never thought about it quite like that before. I had always believed that although those supporting muscles (traps, legs, lats) were getting some work, the chest was still taking the bulk of the weight throughout the movement and therefore, was being placed under greater stress from the higher weights = forced growth that doing a 'normal' flat bench would not achieve.