• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dave Tate explains why your bench sucks

but a normal flat bench doesnt have the extra support from those muscles used when arching etc, i feel you will have higher stresses from the movement being concentrated, rather than being distributed. u may use heavier weight when arching but the forced used to lift it is coming from your whole body, rather than the basic muscles used in a flat bench.

I'm loving doing the more powerlifting type programme I'm on now and focussing on powerlifting form. My shoulders, back and tris were all lacking from my softcock former training splits focussing on pecs and bi's. This whole body approach has introduced balance into my build. Wouldn't go back to a more isolation type approach ever again.

I love Dave Tate's work. I too saw this some time back but still rate it as a great vid.

Thanks for the re-post.

Cheers,
Mike

As you can see huge delts/triceps/he does have a huge back but you cant really see!

Small chest though...

untitled-1.jpg

hf.jpg

DAVE.jpg

yes i guess i will stick with "bodybuilding" form.

dave has got massive triceps!

I'm loving doing the more powerlifting type programme I'm on now and focussing on powerlifting form. My shoulders, back and tris were all lacking from my softcock former training splits focussing on pecs and bi's. This whole body approach has introduced balance into my build. Wouldn't go back to a more isolation type approach ever again.

Much MUCH kinder on your shoulder joints as well! This is the biggest plus of benching this way IMO.

Equipped benchers have small chests because their bench shirts take over from their pecs. Look at raw lifters and you will find things quite different, they won't be bodybuilding big but definately won't be lacking.

but a normal flat bench doesnt have the extra support from those muscles used when arching etc, i feel you will have higher stresses from the movement being concentrated, rather than being distributed. u may use heavier weight when arching but the forced used to lift it is coming from your whole body, rather than the basic muscles used in a flat bench.

Well, I come here to learn. Even (especially) from 16 year olds!! :D Thank you.

I've felt my body is in much better shape post completely changing my bench last year, towards a powerlifting programme. But I thought it was in better shape because my chest was improving - now I'm thinking its because all the ancilliary muscles, with a big focus on my back and shoulders, have gotten the benefit!

Equipped benchers have small chests because their bench shirts take over from their pecs. Look at raw lifters and you will find things quite different, they won't be bodybuilding big but definately won't be lacking.

A lot of them will still do a little bit of hypertrophy work for their chests as it can help reduce ROM. But yes definitely better developed on raw lifters

Well, I come here to learn. Even (especially) from 16 year olds!! :D Thank you.

I've felt my body is in much better shape post completely changing my bench last year, towards a powerlifting programme. But I thought it was in better shape because my chest was improving - now I'm thinking its because all the ancilliary muscles, with a big focus on my back and shoulders, have gotten the benefit!
haha no worries. sometimes all it takes is a different perspective :)

its good to hear the pl style has worked for you at the end of the day we are all here to make ourselves better, whether that be stronger or better looking/larger... doesnt really matter how we get there, as long as we get there in the end :)