• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pain in Rib Cage

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
After my workout today following the SS program consisting of squats, bench, and deadlifts, I am feeling a pain on my right hand side, located a hands width down from my armpits, in the rib cage area. Is this an issue? Can I push through it in my next workout in two days time? It feels like some sort of muscle strain. But I don't want to stop training if its nothing serious, at the same time obviously dont wanna exacerbate the problem.

I can feel it as a dull ache constantly, and is noticeable when I apply pressue on it or lie on my right side.

I can't think of many exercises that don't require core stabilisation when putting in a max effort (finger curls may be an exception?).

If it was me, I'd let something like that heal up. If it is a muscle strain, the few days it will take to heal isn't worth the risk of making the problem worse, or causing another problem because you are favouring one side.

If it hasn't healed in a few days, you should get it checked out.

I can't think of many exercises that don't require core stabilisation when putting in a max effort (finger curls may be an exception?).

If it was me, I'd let something like that heal up. If it is a muscle strain, the few days it will take to heal isn't worth the risk of making the problem worse, or causing another problem because you are favouring one side.

If it hasn't healed in a few days, you should get it checked out.

I agree with this, a few days off won't hurt in the long run.

After my workout today following the SS program consisting of squats, bench, and deadlifts, I am feeling a pain on my right hand side, located a hands width down from my armpits, in the rib cage area. Is this an issue? Can I push through it in my next workout in two days time? It feels like some sort of muscle strain. But I don't want to stop training if its nothing serious, at the same time obviously dont wanna exacerbate the problem.

I can feel it as a dull ache constantly, and is noticeable when I apply pressue on it or lie on my right side.

I have the same issue... My training partner thinks I have either cracked or bruised a rib after doing leg presses! The pain is clearing up but is still present after 4 weeks and has meant I have not gone near the press machine... I found voltarin settled things down a bit for me.

If you can train through it it's not likely anything serious and just a strain or bruising. If you take a few days off with every niggle you would never end up training.

Sounds like a rib. I've cracked a rib squatting - belt wasn't tight enough as it was a warmup set and because it was a fast squat, the belt rode up in the hole and cracked my lowest rib. Couldn't sleep on one side for a few nights and sneezing or coughing was a killer. Forget about squatting.

After about 4 days the pain subsided enough to exercise, and pain was fully gone after about 4-5 weeks :eek:

With cracked ribs, you apparently can't really do anything to help them heal quicker - you just need to endure it.

The pain in the ribs disappeared after 2 weeks. I think I just torn some muscle inside the rib cage (its happened before, roughly in the same place). Strangely enough I thought that benches would execerbate the problem, but it was the squats that strained it the most. Fancy that!

Looks like i've done the same thing with the leg press (the leg press at my new gym is a lot smaller, I felt like i was too low/over compressed into my chest in the starting position, and sure enough, a few sets in, pain on my lower left side. Dull generally (2 days later), but sharp if i roll over towards my left on bed or when getting up off the ground.

On a related topic, was old school gym equipment made for small people?, a lot of equipment at the old school gym i've started going to (olympia in south melbourne) seems built for shorter people (feel very squeezed into the leg press, have to squash myself up to get into position for seated rows, bar just hits the top of the squat racks pressing inside.

I haven't had these sorts of problems at the fitness firsts of this world.... (otherwise i prefer the more serious/old school gym)