• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how to do curls in the squat rack

PowerBuilder

How to do curls in the Squat Rack
livestrong.com

The barbell bicep curl is a favorite exercise of many bodybuilders and everyday weightlifters. Robert Kennedy, owner of MuscleMag International, claims that the barbell bicep curl is the best exercise a person can do to develop his biceps. The exercise can be easily performed in a squat rack or free standing--this often depends on which is not being used at your gym.

RACK SETUP

Step 1 Place the rack safeties approximately 2 inches below your hands when your arms are hanging at your sides. Most squat racks have a higher racking mechanism to place the bar on when doing squats, and a lower safety racking mechanism. For bicep curls, use the lower safety racks only.

Step 2 Place the 7-foot Olympic weightlifting barbell on top of the safety racks. The 7-foot Olympic bar is a standard in all gyms, and weighs 45 lbs. Many gyms may also have shorter and lighter bars.

Step 3 Grab the appropriate weight plates that you will be using for the exercise. Make sure that both sides of the bar have equal amounts of weight.

Step 4 Place collars on the barbell to hold the weights in place.

BICEP CURL

Step 1 Firmly grip the barbell at approximately shoulder-width apart. You may prefer a grip that is slightly closer or wider--it depends on the individual.

Step 2 Keep the elbows close to your sides as you pull your wrist towards the shoulders. You should feel the biceps muscle working.

Step 4 Lower the bar back towards the starting position. Keep tension in the biceps while lowering the weight; do not allow gravity to quickly pull it to the ground.

Step 5 Repeat for the desired number of reputitions.

biceps.jpg

I thought this was going to be a "what you saw in the gym" type of thing
Just waiting now for all the amusing comments.

Whats the problem with curling in the squat rack? who gives a fuck if no1 is using it...

Esp when there's only 1 rack, which is extremely common these days in commercial gyms.

The last 4 I walked into have only had 1 rack. :mad:

im the only guy in the gym that uses the rack so I do my entire workout in there

Yeah, I've even started putting my warm-up weights on the rack when I'm finished for the next time I'm there

Even if they're there the next day (or latter in the day), I wouldn't call it good evidence. For all you know, somebody is leaving the weights how and where they found them.

I think you're being unnecessarily pedantic

Im just pointing out that you may not be the only person to use the squat rack. What if people come in after hours....squat...then leave the area how you found it? What you see isnt always what you get...or got...