• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can deadlifts with mixed grip cause shoulder/bicep problems?

Alpha Moth

I've been pondering if deadlifts were the cause of my shoulder problems, I've been doing trap bar deadlifts lately and switched back to normal deadlifts and noticed my right shoulder (i used a mix grip, right had supinated) was really sore. Would it be better to use a double overhand grip and then use straps if it's too heavy to avoid shoulder/bicep problems?

Could be, hell, could be anything.

Shoulder issues more often than not result from overuse rather than one incident.

It's the one incident that breaks the camels back per say

I copped a shoulder injury after 3x95kg deadlifts, the injury was in my right shoulder which was the side I used for reverse grip. I believe it was bad form and fatigue. Now I use power bands to warm up the shoulders, I still use mixed grip and deadlifting 105kgs.

hook grip > straps

straps kill grip strength over time

plenty of elite powerlifters use mixed grip. i dont see/have any issues with mixed grip deads.

Mixed grip is fine in my opinion.

However, you can strain the biceps on the underhand arm if you don't keep your arm tight.

That's what I've found from my experience anyway. Now that my arms feel like hooks (ie I pull with my body, my arms are just the connections that grip the bar), I find it makes no difference which grip I use, nothing feels any different. But I have to use mixed grip otherwise I can't hold the bar.

My grip strength is something I have worked on for this particular reason, I can't stand the under over grip, much prefer double over hand. Reason is I feel more balanced that way. My grip strength has held up so far, but there will come a day that I think I will have to use under over hand grip to keep hold of the bar as Pistachio said. I always wondered if it could cause some sort of injury or whatever, because i notice a big difference pulling with the under over grip.

G

If your not a powerlifter just use straps.

Powerlifters tearing a bicep when using mixed grip is pretty common. Hook grip is a way around that. If you can double overhand your deadlift for any length of time you are not putting enough effort into the deadlift.

i used to use mix grip, didnt like it so i went back to hook grip. had trouble holding onto bar, so i started using chalk that helped and also gripping the bar correctly.

I've just started deadlifting and i have no dramas.Only drama is when i buggered from lifting i cant lift the weight lol.I'm on 6x 100kg then 6x 140kg and 3 x 160kg and fail at 180kg hahahahaaa.

If your not a powerlifter just use straps.

Powerlifters tearing a bicep when using mixed grip is pretty common. Hook grip is a way around that. If you can double overhand your deadlift for any length of time you are not putting enough effort into the deadlift.

I've seen a few guys double overhand deadlift 700+lbs..

Just going to stick to hook grip then. And use straps if it's too uncomfortable. Will do some separate grip/forearm work.