• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meal Plan: constructive criticism please

Alexd

Hey, I'm 22yo. i weigh 74.5kg I have been taking BB seriously for about 9months now. Previous to this i lost roughly 25kg after being overweight throughout my life.
I've bulked for about 5-6months (didnt count calories, guesstimated macro's) I then Cut for a month(counted calories)

So i need some constructive criticism on my bulking meal plan.
I need to know if i'm counting correctly. If something looks wrong etc.
Its a base plan which i'll work off, Obviously it'll change to how my body reacts. I was on 3200 but i wasn't putting on enough weight.

thanks.

Last edited:
I think you would need some more protien. I generally only count the protien that comes directly from this like meat, eggs, dairy, protien powder ect.... I',e found including protien that comes indirectly from other sources to be ineffective.

I think you would need some more protien. I generally only count the protien that comes directly from this like meat, eggs, dairy, protien powder ect.... I',e found including protien that comes indirectly from other sources to be ineffective.

What?? No. Count protein from all sources.

What signals muscle synthesis is the total luicine count of a meal. Some one your weight would need about 3 grams per meal from about 5 meals a day. The protien sources I listed are all high in luicine however other foods typically have low amounts of ,uicine per gram of protien. Consequently I wouldn't count the protien that come from rice which is a fair amount of your protien intake. Although nuts combined with rice does create a complete protien profile the luicine content is still low.

lol what...

next thing... only 50g protein every 2 hours 6 meals a day...

protein is protein.. doesnt matter where it comes from its protein!

lol what...

next thing... only 50g protein every 2 hours 6 meals a day...

protein is protein.. doesnt matter where it comes from its protein!

That is simply not true. The luicine content as well as the protien profile have both been shown to significant impact the rate of muscle synthesis post meal.

That is simply not true. The luicine content as well as the protien profile have both been shown to significant impact the rate of muscle synthesis post meal.

Calling MaxBrenner in here.

Hes the only one i trust with nutrition lol

I haven't done squats in a bit, Lately i've been doing leg presses. last time i done squats i think it was only like 70kg for like 12-15reps.
leg press is only about 210kg atm for 10-12 reps. but yeah as i was saying i'm still new to this. my first bulk prob wasn't the best.

I've always wondered about the protein. when i look at my meal plan it seems like not that much chicken etc but when it adds up its quite a bit of protein.
another thing. say for eg. i wanna have 100g chicken. would you weigh 100g pre cooked or cooked. when its cooked it shrinks so the weight changes

how much water does it lose during cooking?
weighing raw and using raw nutrition values are more reliable.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf

I base my bulking diets on the info in the above article. I've found it to be good at putting on lean mass plus the fewer meals per day make it easier to follow.
I didn't need to look any further than the author - Layne Norton. He works for SCIVATION and their key product is a BCAA product......

Yes Leucine is the 'key' activator in protein synthesis but only unless ALL other EAA's are present....

Anyway, Leucine content is meaningless when you look at full dietary intake especially if you are consuming adequate amounts of protein from meat sources.

Hell, most 'protein' dense food types have at least 15% BCAA content, so on the low end if you are consuming 100g of protein a day purely from those sources your BCAA intake is 15g (at least).

Unless you are deficient in overall protein intake and ONLY use vegetarian/vegan food sources, there maybe an option for getting some protein intake through BCAA's. And yes if you are going to count BCAA's towards your daily 'protein intake', you most certainly would count protein from EVERY food source and you should anyways as it is not calorie free either!

Food for thought - Branched-chain amino acid requirements in healthy adu... [J Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

I didn't need to look any further than the author - Layne Norton. He works for SCIVATION and their key product is a BCAA product......

It isn't hard to see why there is so much mis-information about nutrition and lifting when most of it comes from people trying to make a buck out of it. Scary stuff.

MaxBrenner, I've managed to follow that diet plan with the need of any amino supplementation and do not encourage the idea, but I take your point about the potential for a conflict of interest.

In regards to my original point I think we are maikng the same one. The majourity of protein should come from protein dense sources like eggs, dairy and meat. I also think you should 'count' all protein consumption in terms of total daily calourie intake.

The issue I have with the diet posted is some meals only have 50 grams of chicken and a decent amount of the protein comes from rice and nuts. So when looking at the protein consumed from protein dense foods I think it is a little low.

The issue I have with the diet posted is some meals only have 50 grams of chicken and a decent amount of the protein comes from rice and nuts. So when looking at the protein consumed from protein dense foods I think it is a little low.

As far as I can see only 27gm of protein comes from nuts and rice. Hardly a massive amount and the bulk of the protein, about 140g of the 206g of protein, comes from the high protein foods you mention.

I would be more worried about fruit and veg intake. Only 2 bananas and zero veggies.

Last edited:
If we just look at the 'protein dense' foods out of his daily protein intake as Bazza mention 140g of that is from those foods, of which AT LEAST 21g of it is BCAA's... Certainly exceeds baseline requirements.

I'm all for the lower meal frequency, don't get me wrong on that. As everyone here well knows :D