• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wrist pain

0ni

Registered Rustler
Looked through and couldn't find a thread answering my question so:

I get wrist pain when I front squat or clean
I hold it with just one finger like suggested but it still hurts loads
It started to affect my pressing so I stopped doing them for now
How to stop it from happening? Stretching it in the opposite direction doesn't seem to be working

Oni, make sure the bar is resting below the fold of the palm and on top of the meaty part or muscle of the thumb.

This ensures the force of the weight is supported and dissipated by the arm.

Any higher and the ligaments and tendons of the wrist bear the force.

It is more likely an issue tight triceps, it sounds like your not getting enough flexion on the elbow joint to allow less pressure on the wrist flexion because your triceps are not allowing it to happen. If you are only using one finger when the bar is racked on your shoulders/chest than it is not a problem of overloading the wrist when performing the squat.

This little vid has some great exercises for you to try Oni, I had a similar problem with my wrists when performing the front squat and have totally eliminated the sore wrist syndrome that can be synonymous with this exercise when using this grip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgh_RKtae8"]How to get rid of some of that wrist pain in a Front Squat - YouTube[/ame]

So why the hell is my wrist hurting
I'm pretty sure it's my wrist being in hyperextension that is making it hurt

My theory is your wrist is in hyper flexion because your triceps will not extend enough to let your arm rest back enough. I may be wrong, but try giving your triceps a stretch like in the vid and see how you go. If its not that than I'm wrong, but that did it for me, even though they never felt tight.

G
EDIT: The wrist being held tightly back, hyper flexed with tension in the tricep forcing you to really bend your wrist back is inadvertently causing you the wrist pain IMO.

Last edited:

I got that pain when I first started front squatting. It is just because your wrists are not flexible enough and not used to it yet. Give it time and it will go away.

So I watched that Crossfit (lmao) video and I guess it makes a lot of sense if you think about it how it's not a wrist problem but an upper back / triceps problem

So I watched that Crossfit (lmao) video and I guess it makes a lot of sense if you think about it how it's not a wrist problem but an upper back / triceps problem

LOL, yeh I prob could of chosen a better example but that was the point I was trying to make :p

LOL, yeh I prob could of chosen a better example but that was the point I was trying to make :p

nah I appreciate this kind of thing, it's so logical and thought out instead of a lot of the broscience stuff you see posted around the internet

Some guy told me to stretch my wrists lol... when it was my wrist being stretched that was causing the pain in the first place. That's what led me to the idea of stretching in the opposite direction which helped a little lol

bought some ACE elasticated bandages yesterday, wrapped my wrists for benching today and everything felt thick, solid, tight

Going to start doing front squats again now and will wrap them prior to lifting
Also got some bandages suitable for wrapping knees but I'm not using them yet until I have some sort of knee problem I guess