• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much nuts is too much?

Nah thats not my point.

What I'm saying is that 100 calories of veggies vs 100 calories of some dirty food (with the same ratio of macros) will probably result in less NET calories, due to all the fibre in the veggies (and the higher volume of veggies requiring more chewing, digestion etc etc)

Try taking in 1000 calories from veggies. Good luck with it. 100vs100 is an inconsequential amount for net calorie difference. 1000 wise would show some difference and even then it would not be significant. And you are not taking in that many veggies to make a difference. Your theoretical point stands but practically it does not work nor can it be used as your explanation.

Nah thats not my point.

What I'm saying is that 100 calories of veggies vs 100 calories of some dirty food (with the same ratio of macros) will probably result in less NET calories, due to all the fibre in the veggies (and the higher volume of veggies requiring more chewing, digestion etc etc)

dirty food, LOL.

If you're theoretical dirty food was a cheeseburger for example, that would have more protein than you're 100cals of veggies & therefore the amount of energy used to digest the food (TEF) would be higher in the cheeseburger. Immaterial difference IMO though.

Impaired Nutrient Absorption
Another effect, again primarily seen with soluble fibers, is an impairment of nutrient absorption, and this holds for carbohydrates, fats and dietary protein. Essentially, due to the gel-like mass that is formed, digestive enzymes can’t get access to the other nutrients so that more is carried out of the body. This means that high-fiber diets will result in less total caloric absorption, basically the left-hand side of the equation discussed in The Energy Balance Equation will be lower when a large amount of soluble fiber is consumed.
I’d note that the effect isn’t massive, fiber may reduce total fat absorption by about 3%, protein by 5%. I can’t find a good value for carbohydrates at the moment. Put more concretely, an increase in dietary fiber from 18 to 36 grams per day might reduce total caloric absorption by 100 calories per day.
Now, depending on how you want to look at this, it can be seen as either a good or bad thing. For individuals trying to lose weight, higher fiber diets will not only have positive effects on fullness and the rest but will result in less total calories being absorbed from the diet. Again, the high-fiber nature will reduce the Energy In side of the equation (which only counts calories which are actually absorbed).
On the other hand, for athletes or bodybuilders, the impact of a high-fiber intake could be seen as detrimental, especially given that soluble fibers impact on protein absorption. While it would be nice if fiber only impacted on carb or fat absorption, that simply isn’t the case. As well, for athletes with very high energy demands, losing digestible energy due to a high fiber intake might not be the best thing. Again, I’d note that the total impact isn’t massive but it is worth considering.

Fiber and Energy Balance
Relevant to issues of body composition, fiber can contribute in a number of ways to The Energy Balance Equation. As noted above, fiber impacts on caloric absorption (decreasing it, generally) along with fullness (which may cause people to spontaneously eat less) along with blood glucose control and several other mechanisms. In general, the effect is to reduce either total food intake or caloric absorption, facilitating weight loss.
I’d mention again that the effect of fiber on fat cell metabolism via the conversion to short-chain fatty acids is perplexing, one way of looking at this is that high-fiber intakes might hurt with fat loss. This might become more relevant when people get very lean and fatty acid mobilization is becoming more difficult (for reasons discussed in The Stubborn Fat Solution). At the same time, real-world results call the real-world significance of this into question. High-fiber intakes have been part of hardcore diets for decades and folks seem to be doing alright.
Depending on the goal (e.g. weight loss vs. weight gain), this can be seen as good or bad depending on the context. For individuals trying to lose weight, most of the effects of a high-fiber diet could be seen as generally positive. Being fuller with more stable blood sugar and absorbing fewer calories would seem a good thing.
As noted above, for individuals trying to increase their energy intake and/or gain weight, a high-fiber intake could potentially be a negative. Between making the individual fuller at a given meal and/or keeping them fuller longer during the day, along with impairment of caloric absorption, high-fiber intakes might have a negative impact overall for some people.
Newsflash: Fiber Provides Calories to Humans
But there is another effect of fiber on energy balance that often goes unappreciated. Backing up, it’s often stated that fiber provides no calories to the body since humans lack the enzymes necessary to digest it. This has often been taken even further to claim that high-fiber vegetables are ‘negative calorie foods’, that is they take more calories to digest than they provide (assumed to be zero).
Here’s the thing: it’s not true. Not entirely anyhow.
Above I discussed the issue of fermentation of some types of fiber to short-chain fatty acids which are then reabsorbed by the body. Well, those fatty acids provide calories to the body. While there is still some debate in the area, researchers have assigned a caloric value to fiber of 1.5-2 cal/gram (depending on the specific type).
Admittedly this is an average and will depend on the specifics of the diet and the type of fiber but, simply, the idea that fiber provides no calories to the body is not true. While the caloric value of fiber is still lower than starchy carbohydrates (4 cal/g), it is not zero.

Fiber - Natures Broom | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Pricey way to add cals, chasews are awsome though....and macadamias....actually any nut is awsome.

Very calorie dense though, and full of good fat, Walnuts are a prime example

Pricey way to add cals

Actually, quite the opposite. Besides the olive oil in my diet, the almonds are the cheapest source of calories at nearly 800 calories per $1 spent. Meat and veggies on the other hand only yield around 80 calories per $1 spent, so are roughly 10 times more expensive.