• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi on muscle fibres & more...

Darkoz said

'It's not about which one is best or which way should you do it, it's simply another way to work the muscle, so sometimes do faster reps and then other times do slower reps.
Use both'.

Good advice, mix it up.

i do light, medium and heavy week and then repeat

But did Fadi not say otherwise? As I recall he said that no matter what the lifting speed, muscle fibers will still be recruited due to Size Principle?

If your 10 rm is 25 kg on db curl, how does lifting it faster change the recruitment of motor units?

You can't change this (motor unit recruitment), it is already set.

What fadi is eluding to is muscle fibre types= low reps high reps.

Darkoz said

'It's not about which one is best or which way should you do it, it's simply another way to work the muscle, so sometimes do faster reps and then other times do slower reps.
Use both'.

Good advice, mix it up.

i do light, medium and heavy week and then repeat

Just use the heaviest weight you can and lift as fast as you can under control.

But did Fadi not say otherwise? As I recall he said that no matter what the lifting speed, muscle fibers will still be recruited due to Size Principle?

If your 10 rm is 25 kg on db curl, how does lifting it faster change the recruitment of motor units?

Sorry but you need to get your terminology right.

Muscle fibres = All or Nothing Principle.

Motor Units = Size Principle.

Some people think they know what they're talking about but have a lot of holes in their post's.

Like eccentric strength! It's stronger by about 30% when compared to concentric strength and IS NOT more time efficient because it will take longer to fatigue. The point of a 4020 tempo, for example, is to make the movement inefficient thus using more energy and keeping the muscle under tension longer causing more damage to the muscle.

Use any rep speed you want, it's all the same.

Or Motor Recruitment. Lifting an object faster does change motor unit recruitment due to the increase in muscular tension. Bazza was the only who has gotten this from the last few pages I've read!

Maximal effort is required to recruit the largest motor units, whether that be via pathways of maximal load, submaximal load with maximal force or submaximal load to/ or near to failure.

Just use the heaviest weight you can and lift as fast as you can under control.

Contradictory. Cannot move the heaviest weight you can as fast as you can, just as the opposite is true. Try throwing a table tennis ball at a window as hard as you can to see if you can break it.

Thank you Fadi, this will be a good read. I'm not sure if Kraemer always incorrectly inferred that Maximal Loads were the only way to recruit the HTMU's, his book with Zatsiorsky seems to follow the same lines as Carpinelli's paper regarding the Size Principle.

Sorry but you need to get your terminology right.

Muscle fibres = All or Nothing Principle.

Motor Units = Size Principle.

Some people think they know what they're talking about but have a lot of holes in their post's.

Like eccentric strength! It's stronger by about 30% when compared to concentric strength and IS NOT more time efficient because it will take longer to fatigue. The point of a 4020 tempo, for example, is to make the movement inefficient thus using more energy and keeping the muscle under tension longer causing more damage to the muscle.

Or Motor Recruitment. Lifting an object faster does change motor unit recruitment due to the increase in muscular tension. Bazza was the only who has gotten this from the last few pages I've read!

Maximal effort is required to recruit the largest motor units, whether that be via pathways of maximal load, submaximal load with maximal force or submaximal load to/ or near to failure.

Contradictory. Cannot move the heaviest weight you can as fast as you can, just as the opposite is true. Try throwing a table tennis ball at a window as hard as you can to see if you can break it.

Thank you Fadi, this will be a good read. I'm not sure if Kraemer always incorrectly inferred that Maximal Loads were the only way to recruit the HTMU's, his book with Zatsiorsky seems to follow the same lines as Carpinelli's paper regarding the Size Principle.

So you can basically do all of those and one is not superior to the other? So lifting 10 rm fast has the same effect as lifting 10 rm slowly? Am I correct to say that lifting fast will recruit more motor units in the beginning, while lifting slowly will do that later in the lift? But in terms of actual muscle damage, which method is better?

Disagree with you Goosey.

As i have said many a time, if i used as heavy weight as i can, as you suggest, i would be going backwards.

You cannot expect all people to train same way.

As i said before, i need 10-14 days to recover from a flat out week. Hence, i have a light week, medium week and then heavy week.

Now if you train on moderate weights and go for form (as many a bb may), well that is a different story.

I am only satisfied if i get stronger, or maintain strength as i am getting older.

I don't understand the point of your reply. This is in the bodybuilding forum.. you train for strength and you knock Goosey's point of view but caveat it with oh but it's a different story if you train as a bb'er.

Arthur, what matters is that you are consistently lifting weights for x number of reps, when you can get more than x number of reps then you add a small amount of weight and then repeat the process, it's a simple principle, progressive resistance.
After a while when you've packed on some muscle then you can start worrying about the details.

Arthur, what matters is that you are consistently lifting weights for x number of reps, when you can get more than x number of reps then you add a small amount of weight and then repeat the process, it's a simple principle, progressive resistance.
After a while when you've packed on some muscle then you can start worrying about the details.

Yep good advise.

So I can choose any rep range to build muscle? But what about failure and volume ( number of sets etc ) ?