• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training during a cut.

SWH

I was just wondering for future reference if I should make any changes to my training during a cutting phase. I've never cut down weight before so I don't really know what to expect. Should I be training the same as I usually do while cutting down (Stick to my compounds and don't change my routine at all?) Or would changing the routine up a little help during a cut. I'm not planning to cut any time soon but I just wanted to know if anything needs to be changed while cutting down weight?

Well I'm not 100% sure on this, but I would keep training hard and trying to progress with poundage anyway. Probably add some extra Steady State and HIIT to the mix for added calorie burn off, but other than that I can't see why you need to change your training. I think that adding weight to the bar might slow down a bit when cals are lower but thats all.

I was just wondering for future reference if I should make any changes to my training during a cutting phase. I've never cut down weight before so I don't really know what to expect. Should I be training the same as I usually do while cutting down (Stick to my compounds and don't change my routine at all?) Or would changing the routine up a little help during a cut. I'm not planning to cut any time soon but I just wanted to know if anything needs to be changed while cutting down weight?

This is from Lyle McDonalds site:

UNDER DIETING CONDITIONS CONT...Training - As noted above, at least some volume of heavy training should be done while dieting to maintain current strength and muscle mass levels. However, research clearly shows that the volume and frequency of training can be cut back rather significantly.Reductions in both of up to 2/3rds (so total sets and/or days of training can be reduced) are fine but ONLY if the intensity (weight on the bar) is maintained. So an athlete who was doing 6 sets of 3 in the back squat could conceivably cut back to 2 sets of 3 as long as he keeps the weight on the bar the same. If the intensity is cut back, strength and muscle mass will suffer.

Yeah well i'm progressing great with my bulk and i'm still a fair way from my target weight so i'm not planning on cutting any time soon, Just didn't really know what to when it was time to cut down weight

When cutting down for cycling we just used to cycle volume with intensity, eat a little more food then do extra conditioning work.

The theory was by increasing both calories in and calories out, we'd be decreasing the efficiency of the metabolism and lose fat. Seemed to work well enough, none of us were very jacked lol but always held the muscle and strength we had well

Your training does not need to change at all...keep it heavy and intense with maybe acouple of higher rep sets on diff exercises after your main heavy sets...

Put more thought into your diet when cutting than your training...

Just train the same as normal but know that your lift numbers wont be the same and u will either stagnate or go down in lift numbers as u hit the sub 10% BF.
Pay extra attention to diet as u dont want to be eating into your LBM.

Diet > training

This is from Lyle McDonalds site:

UNDER DIETING CONDITIONS CONT...Training - As noted above, at least some volume of heavy training should be done while dieting to maintain current strength and muscle mass levels. However, research clearly shows that the volume and frequency of training can be cut back rather significantly.Reductions in both of up to 2/3rds (so total sets and/or days of training can be reduced) are fine but ONLY if the intensity (weight on the bar) is maintained. So an athlete who was doing 6 sets of 3 in the back squat could conceivably cut back to 2 sets of 3 as long as he keeps the weight on the bar the same. If the intensity is cut back, strength and muscle mass will suffer.
This.

Reduce volume a tad especially when you notice that progression is slowing.

Well I know I can't bulk forever but I hate thinking about losing strength. But i'll have to eventually. Just have to figure out when to start my cut. Right now theres no need, i'm still making big advances in strength maybe once those numbers start to slow down

Bu the looks of your pic u prob dont need to cut for another year or 2 at least....if things start to slow down eat more...simple as that...

Well I know I can't bulk forever but I hate thinking about losing strength. But i'll have to eventually. Just have to figure out when to start my cut. Right now theres no need, i'm still making big advances in strength maybe once those numbers start to slow down

When you cut don't lower the calories too quick because that is the fastest way to lose a heap of strength and muscle.

It is possible to gain strength on a cut if you do it properly.

So it would be better to eat frequently still while on a cut and just slowly cut down the calories as it goes on?

So it would be better to eat frequently still while on a cut and just slowly cut down the calories as it goes on?

If eating frequently helps you control your calories then yes. Personally eating less frequently does it for me. 10% deficit during a cut is a good start.

If eating frequently helps you control your calories then yes. Personally eating less frequently does it for me. 10% deficit during a cut is a good start.

Okay yeah I get you, not going to rush into anything too early when the time comes then.