• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fadi, now your doing body building do you still do cleans and snatchs?
No, no cleans and no snatches. I'm totally against any bodybuilder performing cleans and I've made that known on numerous occasions. Now you're probably wondering why I'm against cleans. Here's my reason...

Cleans are not the safest exercise on earth for your knees, especially as the weight begins to head north. Please keep in mind that I'm strictly speaking bodybuilding now and not weightlifting. Weightlifters have no choice but to clean; bodybuilders on the other hand do have a choice in the matter.

So what's so bad about a bodybuilder performing cleans, even perfect form clean? Like I've already said, the first reason is the bodybuilder has no need to perform cleans, they are not a requirement in his chosen sport, and to top it all off, the unnecessary invitation of patella tendon injury of the knee goes from non existent to highly existent.

How does that happen, I mean how or why can a clean cause such potential for a knee injury? It's all in the catch; the racking of the bar on one's clavicle after diving underneath it to catch/meet it, upon the completion of the first phase of the lift, i.e. the pull.

When I mention the above, still some wish to argue and say: "but Fadi, I don't lift too much weight like a weightlifter, so the chance of injury to the knee is not the same." To that I say, since when was weight the sole element in causing one's injury? Please reflect on that for a bit, perchance you (the one who's arguing) may see what I see, and that is yes, injuries are not always caused because the weight is heavy, but at times, they're caused because of bad exercise/movement execution. Would anyone here disagree with that?

Now how much more injury inviting it is when one chooses to go from performing an exercise in a smooth fashion (a la bodybuilding) to a movement (such as the clean) performed in such tremendously explosive manner a la Olympic weightlifting! There is no comparison to even talk about, it's like comparing chalk and cheese, they look similar but in reality they are poles apart.

Okay alright now, is this all doom and gloom or are there some rays of sun shine on the horizon... for the bodybuilder choosing to inject some weightlifting lifts into his program? I say rest assured, there's hope...

Enter the BEAST with two heads! Mmmm, what beast is that? It's the power clean/front squat combo. Just in case some of you have fallen asleep, I'll continue with this next time... lest I write a full novel here.

Fadi.

Last edited:
fadi you use to compete as a bodybuilder right?

Are there any contest pics of you on this forum?

Fadi, thank you for your response.

Are there any contest pics of you on this forum?

I think he competed in Olympic Weightlifting, not sure about anything else, thats for him to answer?

No, that's not right. I used to compete as an Olympic weightlifter but have been bodybuilding since 1984, starting after having competed at the weightlifting World junior championships in 1984 which were held in Italy. Coming from one of the most objective sports and straight into one of the most subjective sport, I found the idea of competing very hard to take. Hence, I opted to bodybuild for myself instead of others to judge how I looked.

Fadi.

Last edited:
:)Would love to have a coaching sesh with Fadi:)
That's lovely of you to say Karen. You're already a dynamite of a champion, what we refer to in weightlifting as a pocket Hercules.

All power to you strong one!

Fadi.

No, that's not right. I used to compete as an Olympic weightlifter but have been bodybuilding since 1984, starting after having competed at the weightlifting World junior championships in 1984 which were held in Italy. Coming from one of the most objective sports and straight into one of the most subjective sport, I found the idea of competing very hard to take. Hence, I opted to bodybuild for myself instead of others to judge how I looked.

Fadi.

Fadi is being humble he actually gave Oly lifting another go (last year or year before) and won the NSW masters with only a few months full on training. This was after training as a bodybuilder all these years.

Fadi.

oh ok. i am mistaken, i just remember seeing a picture of you a while ago and you looked like a massive unit so i had assumed you competed:)

There are quite a few. Different people have different opinions though and wanted to hear his opinion on them assuming his not just going with the flow.

Just for similar reasons as previous pages. I snapped my ACL in 2010 and damaged alot inside my knee. I just find lunges a little scary when it comes to landing right and keeping the knee straight.

It's probably pretty safe but I don't think they are a vital lift, so I don't include them.

there is no exercise that is a vital lift. there are so many exercise options for each targeted muscle group that nearly always allow a trainee to work around any niggling problem.

Military presses, front is no probs, behind the neck fucks me in the shoulder big time.
So only do in front of head, but keep in mind that I’m not the most flexible kunce.

at moment, I can do behind neck but front presses hurt bad. always need for individual to assess own situation.