• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much direct triceps work do you do?

DKD

Private Dancer
Inspired by the related biceps thread, i thought I'd ask how often, and what type, of triceps work you do.

I've recently gone off skullcrushers.....did them for ages, but started to get a bit worried about elbow health from what i read and what i was feeling during workouts. I can't do bench or OH press, so CGBP is also out of the equation. I mucked around with pushdowns for a while, I'll prob get back into them.

My main tricep work atm is chest dips...so it's not direct tricep work, but i figure it's a compound movement, might as well hammer it for all its worth. I do about 5-6 sets 1-2 times a week. I've never bothered doing dips in the upright manner to focus on tris...much prefer the forward lean, elbows wide version.

In the past ive done bench dips a few times (with feet up on a chair)....felt pretty good tbh...could really feel it in tris, shoulders and chest.

Chest dips with powerband assistance and weighted bench dips. I could work arms and shoulders ALL day:)

Since I setup a home gym I only press and dip but I definitely miss rope push downs I think they have great carry over for the bench. Most other direct tri work like skull crusher, cg bp etc seem to play havoc with my shoulder.

For the last 30 odd years it has come from dipping and pressing.

Other exercises; variations of the bench press, pushdowns and the like have come and gone throughout my workout life.

The dip, chin-up, ab roller and curl were the first exercises I was shown when I was 16' I did these at work in my lunch break, I've never stopped dipping.

Overhead tricep extensions. Normally do Dips as my main upper body push but due to injury all I have is OTE.

Just like biceps, I don't normally do any triceps isolation work. Bench and overhead press seem to do the job just fine.

I'll train them once or twice a week usually. Normally start off on 3 sets of dips, then OTE, then finish up on ropes.

at one stage my biceps were really showing and no tri's atall so i ended up training them hard for the past few months i do weighed dips, tricep pressdowns, skullcrushers and tricep overhead extension/tricep kickbacks